The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-06-2018, 07:34 PM   #1
Linz

Pulling a TH350

I apologize if this has been covered but I did a few searches and didn’t find any definitive answers to some of my questions.

I have a 72 with a 350/350 combo witch in its present form runs and drives just fine. The problem I have is that the transmission is an oily greasy mess that seems to be leaking from everywhere. I read the other recent thread on the guy that is tacking leaks on his and it was suggested by some to just pull it and clean it up out of the truck. This is the route I think I’m going to take.

I’m also thinking while it’s out I may as well rebuild it then I know what I have?

So my question is.

Is it a simple enough process to pull the transmission and leave the engine in place? I see no reason to pull the engine as well. Are there any special steps that I need to take? I didn’t really find a step by step process but perhaps most guys pull the whole lot engine included. Im assuming the engine will need supported somehow also? Or will it be simpler to let the transmission shop pull it if I rebuild it? I’m sure I’m capable of doing it I’ve pulled a ton of semi transmissions and installed clutches etc. I’m just lacking a few of the finer points on the smaller stuff.

And secondly if I was to overhaul the transmission are there any things that I should do or ask for? Upgrades make it stronger etc etc

Thanks
Linz is offline   Reply With Quote