The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-14-2010, 10:06 AM   #1
53lochevy

53 airbags/shocks mounted and wheel tubs/notched

Here's some pics of the bags and shocks installed over axle configuration... The wheel housing come from 65-72 chevy trucks and has bolt holes on both the outside flanges and the bottom flanges.. The center bolt hole for the fender lines up with the center hole in the wheel housing..also installed bumper stops on the other side of the frame for when the air is out and not just laying on the bags....also cut out the radius for the tire...Let me know what ya think about the tubs.. they are big but going center over axle configuration with a 4-link its gotta cover it and also can go to 50's tires later if wanted..
Attached Images

53lochevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 10:15 AM   #2
53lochevy

Re: 53 airbags/shocks mounted and wheel tubs/notched

more pics
Attached Images

Old 04-14-2010, 10:56 AM   #3
Tri5Nerd
Tripple Five Fanatic

Looking good, are you going to keep the tubs that wide?
Old 04-14-2010, 11:02 AM   #4
53lochevy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tri5Nerd View Post
Looking good, are you going to keep the tubs that wide?
Yes the upper bag mounts and the air line wont fit under the bed without them when going with over axle configuration,, the bed is going to be raised just one inch....so the rearend will not go thru the bed.. heres a pic hows it sits with the air out..
Attached Images

Last edited by 53lochevy; 04-14-2010 at 11:12 AM.
Old 04-14-2010, 11:02 AM   #5
britnjc

How about trailer fenders as tubs, they come in different widths and have a smoother design. not a thing wrong with what you got just another option
britnjc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 12:31 PM   #6
1952ssr

Quote:
Originally Posted by britnjc View Post
How about trailer fenders as tubs, they come in different widths and have a smoother design. not a thing wrong with what you got just another option
I was gonna mention the same idea. You can pick up the ones with one side enclosed at any Tractor Supply or at Northern tool.com. Here's an example. OBTW your truck looks great.
Attached Images

1952ssr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 01:16 PM   #7
53lochevy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1952ssr View Post
I was gonna mention the same idea. You can pick up the ones with one side enclosed at any Tractor Supply or at Northern tool.com. Here's an example. OBTW your truck looks great.
The picture listed is not the orginal frame probably a as-10 and it is not configured with over the axle airbags.. I'm using the orignal frame with c-notches and over the axle airbags,,, with the notch and bracket on it is 11 inches from the side of the bed to the outer of the bottom of the bag bracket,, didnt want to run a bar all the way across the bed and mount different bag configuration and shock combo let alone didnt want to have to raise the bed to fit it...hope that kinda fill ya in on the reason I have to have wide tubs because of the over axle configuration actually it looks good when standing and looking into the bed,, going with a solid sheet to wood 4+8 and cutting it to fit and just lay it in there..Just going one inch where the side bed supports are spot welded to the side fenders lay it on top of that and get new side strips and lay the rest on top use the cross frames as drill guides..
Old 04-14-2010, 11:08 PM   #8
ratty 46

Clean & I understand the reason for the inner tubs. I think a more "rounded" set might look more 53ish if you get my idea .... but all in all - very functional.

Nice job.

Ratty 46

Last edited by ratty 46; 04-14-2010 at 11:18 PM.
ratty 46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 02:25 PM   #9
mylow53

i've seen guys use those tubs before they just cut an inch or 2 from the middle. seeings how your tire will never pass your frame you could probably take out a bunch from the middle. provided your air bags cleared. my suspension is similar to yours but the bags are underneath the bed. you may consider relocating them to clear up some bed space. my tubs are much smaller due to the airbag placement granted you noch is huge compaired to mine. you should be able to go much lower than me.
your truck is pretty cool
GT
Attached Images

Last edited by mylow53; 04-15-2010 at 02:27 PM.
mylow53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 02:48 PM   #10
53lochevy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mylow53 View Post
i've seen guys use those tubs before they just cut an inch or 2 from the middle. seeings how your tire will never pass your frame you could probably take out a bunch from the middle. provided your air bags cleared. my suspension is similar to yours but the bags are underneath the bed. you may consider relocating them to clear up some bed space. my tubs are much smaller due to the airbag placement granted you noch is huge compaired to mine. you should be able to go much lower than me.
your truck is pretty cool
GT
Again look at the pics this is over center axle airbag configuration not in front under the axle as you have with a trinangular link setup not a 4-link as I do go figure Im running tight wheel clearence with about 1/2 inch space on the outer fender and 1 inch inside the inner fender on the bed about 12inch tire width I really dont care about bed space as I will never carry anything back there but a cooler for drinks................