The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-30-2024, 06:35 PM   #1
Day 2 C10

Hood vents

Has anyone ever decided to run oem gm hood vents on our trucks? I got a second hood and I'm toying with grafting either 66 Chevelle vents or first gen Camaro vents for a OEM performance feel. Maybe even a Nova vent.
Attached Images

Day 2 C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2024, 08:35 AM   #2
special-K
Special Order

Re: Hood vents

I've seen it done before. I guess they don't actually vent, but you want the look. I think the lay flat ones (1st & 3rd) would be your best bet. The others would be a lot of skilled work

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2024, 09:09 AM   #3
FRCvette

Tha SS chevelle vents look awesome. Local bodyman here has done that by sectioning the two hoods. Quite a bit of work he says.

1967 c10 swb Stepside
2004 SSR
2013 Silverado swb
FRCvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2024, 10:33 AM   #4
un4gvn!

I've seen the 70-72 Buick GS hood vents on a truck when I went to the GS Nationals in Bowling Green, Kentucky.
un4gvn! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2024, 10:55 AM   #5
72c20customcamper

The Chevelle hood inserts would be a challenge. If you look at hood there is a ridge that runs through the middle of insert so it’s basically on two planes . And they are purely decorative no function at all
1969 AMX ,
1968 c20 stepside ,85 K20
1977 Suburban sold
68 anniversary.
72c20customcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2024, 12:05 PM   #6
1969LTX

Super cool idea! My choise would be first gen camaro hood vents, with black inserts it would fit nice on red hood.
1969LTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2024, 12:07 PM   #7
SCOTI

Agreed. Zero function as installed from the factory assembly line.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2024, 12:23 PM   #8
Day 2 C10

Note. Which ever will be functional as vents. I love the Chevelle style but agreed its going to take a lot of work
Old 01-31-2024, 12:28 PM   #9
Day 2 C10

Otherwise, I thought about grafting a 70-72 Chevelle hood flapper with an electric motor.
Old 01-31-2024, 02:30 PM   #10
chewychevy67

I'm not sure what these are from (asuming a gm car) but I did toy with the idea for adding these to my hood. Also I thought about keeping the raised area high to the center line , moving the vents slightly closer to the middle boddy line, and flowing it out into it leaving the front of the hood stock.
Attached Images

Last edited by chewychevy67; 01-31-2024 at 02:41 PM.
chewychevy67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2024, 03:06 PM   #11
CAMAROBOY68SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by chewychevy67 View Post
I'm not sure what these are from (asuming a gm car) but I did toy with the idea for adding these to my hood. Also I thought about keeping the raised area high to the center line , moving the vents slightly closer to the middle boddy line, and flowing it out into it leaving the front of the hood stock.
Those are 67 Chevelle SS inserts. For the Chevelle inserts 66 or 67, you would need a Chevelle hood to cut out the area where they mount and then weld them into you truck hood. The Camaro/Nova finned inserts pretty must just bolt in on a flat surface. The 68/69 Camaro "Ice Cube Trays" have a drain that need a extra hold but will bolt down flat. The ice cubes can be made into a functional vent easily, you just need to cut the access in the hood. Then you just leave out the metal back plate from the insert (they are 3 pieces, back plate, mesh, chrome piece). Only problem is the chrome will blue with any amount of engine heat. I have a 68 Camaro SS and the aftermarket inserts blued/yellowed due to no insulation on the hood over a couple years.

C10 Build Thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=833278

The "Others"
1933 Ford Pickup (Camaro in disguise)
2017 Camaro SS

Life long Chevy guy
CAMAROBOY68SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2024, 04:24 PM   #12
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAMAROBOY68SS View Post
Those are 67 Chevelle SS inserts. For the Chevelle inserts 66 or 67, you would need a Chevelle hood to cut out the area where they mount and then weld them into you truck hood. The Camaro/Nova finned inserts pretty must just bolt in on a flat surface. The 68/69 Camaro "Ice Cube Trays" have a drain that need a extra hold but will bolt down flat. The ice cubes can be made into a functional vent easily, you just need to cut the access in the hood. Then you just leave out the metal back plate from the insert (they are 3 pieces, back plate, mesh, chrome piece). Only problem is the chrome will blue with any amount of engine heat. I have a 68 Camaro SS and the aftermarket inserts blued/yellowed due to no insulation on the hood over a couple years.
Absolutely.... any of the GM offerings can be made as an exhaust vent as long as your OK w/water dropping down on the motor/electronics in that area.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Old 01-31-2024, 08:55 PM   #13
best view

The 67 chevelle is the bomb should of had them on the supers with the 396 engine option now the flippers would be going crazy
best view is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2024, 09:11 PM   #14
HO455
Post Whore

Have you considered the 68 SS Chevelle version. I always felt that they looked more thought out like 65-70 GTO's and less "Let's bolt something on as cheap as possible. Which is what I think when I see the Icecube tray ones.

I'm an admitted Pontiac guy so I may be biased.
Attached Images

If it breaks I didn't want it in the first place
The WMB repair thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=698377
HO455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2024, 10:51 PM   #15
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

If you're (OP) looking for bling, that's one thing. But if you're looking for performance, that's another. In '68, Buick made a cold air induction system that took air at the cowl and ducted it to the air cleaner. Good for a little horsepower. One could cut a hole in the radiator core support (or put an intake under the bumper) and run a duct, too. I had an '05 Corolla that I made a cold air induction system using ABS drain pipe from the hardware store. Didn't make it a barnstormer, of course, but I got 1% better mileage for about $8 worth of parts and a couple hours work. Paid for itself over the 10 years I owned it. I put the intake "scoop", made from a "tri" pipe adapter in the hole left by one of the unused driving lights. One thing that I really appreciated was better performance when it was 118° in the shade. The computer adjusts the mixture for ambient temperature, and when it's that hot, the car was really a dog. Stock, the air is taken in between the radiator and the battery. That cold air intake helped quite a bit with that.

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2024, 11:10 PM   #16
Myself

You gotta think outside the box.....set yourself apart.

You can always make a sheet metal pan for the hood underside to direct water where you want.
Attached Images

Myself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2024, 01:31 AM   #17
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myself View Post
You gotta think outside the box.....set yourself apart.

You can always make a sheet metal pan for the hood underside to direct water where you want.
Yep. So easy everyone is doing it/anyone can do it.
Wait... how does the drain pan impact the effectiveness of the 'vents' ?
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 02-01-2024, 01:41 AM   #18
CAMAROBOY68SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI View Post
Yep. So easy everyone is doing it/anyone can do it.
Wait... how does the drain pan impact the effectiveness of the 'vents' ?
well the most of these style of vents are not for sucking air in as air flows over the top, they are for allowing airflow that comes through the grill to exit smoothly than being trapped under the hood while it circulates to find a way towards the frame.

Look at a modern 5th or 6th gen Camaro and how their SS and ZL1 hoods function. I have a 2017 Camaro SS and the hood gills have a drip tray that funnel towards the radiator, so it then acts as a scoop under the hood that doesnt impact the air coming in while driving. There is then another drip pan on top of the radiator that catches what the hood drops and moves to each side of the motor.

C10 Build Thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=833278

The "Others"
1933 Ford Pickup (Camaro in disguise)
2017 Camaro SS

Life long Chevy guy
CAMAROBOY68SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2024, 10:07 AM   #19
Andy4639
Old member

Lightbulb Re: Hood vents

I know this isn't what you want for the hood louvers but the under panel can keep the water off the motor and it works very well. I drive this truck in the rain a bunch not as much as I use to but it does get drove in the rain and I've never had a problem with water.
Attached Images

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2024, 10:22 AM   #20
72c20customcamper

When I drive the Chevelle in the rain the engine gets wet anyways so it’s really not an issue if the hood vents leak a little too . If you’re trying to get the air out of the engine compartment an air dam under the bumper works well . It causes a lower pressure condition under the car/truck . I put a little SS piece I made under my Avanti and it cooled the motor firewall a great deal.
1969 AMX ,
1968 c20 stepside ,85 K20
1977 Suburban sold
68 anniversary.
72c20customcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2024, 10:43 AM   #21
KQQL IT
At the body shop.

Anything but a cowl hood would look great.
Old 02-01-2024, 11:29 AM   #22
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by KQQL IT View Post
Nothing wrong w/a cowl hood (a functional cowl hood). Slap a couple of heat extracting vents along the outer edges of the hood vs the stuff shown within this thread + a functional cowl induction set-up & I get it.

The GM stuff shown within this thread is nostalgic cool but that's about it.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 02-01-2024, 11:38 AM   #23
Day 2 C10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeveedee View Post
If you're (OP) looking for bling, that's one thing. But if you're looking for performance, that's another. In '68, Buick made a cold air induction system that took air at the cowl and ducted it to the air cleaner. Good for a little horsepower. One could cut a hole in the radiator core support (or put an intake under the bumper) and run a duct, too. I had an '05 Corolla that I made a cold air induction system using ABS drain pipe from the hardware store. Didn't make it a barnstormer, of course, but I got 1% better mileage for about $8 worth of parts and a couple hours work. Paid for itself over the 10 years I owned it. I put the intake "scoop", made from a "tri" pipe adapter in the hole left by one of the unused driving lights. One thing that I really appreciated was better performance when it was 118° in the shade. The computer adjusts the mixture for ambient temperature, and when it's that hot, the car was really a dog. Stock, the air is taken in between the radiator and the battery. That cold air intake helped quite a bit with that.

So its going to be for function plus aesthetics it will not be how I take in air but how I plan to relive negative under hood pressure and heat. this truck is in every essence a muscle truck so with modern performance played down with retro aesthetics
Attached Images

Old 02-01-2024, 11:42 AM   #24
Day 2 C10

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI View Post
Absolutely.... any of the GM offerings can be made as an exhaust vent as long as your OK w/water dropping down on the motor/electronics in that area.
hey its a driver and hot rod I'm good with that, water don't hurt anything
Old 02-01-2024, 11:45 AM   #25
Day 2 C10

Quote:
Originally Posted by KQQL IT View Post
Yes agreed. Unpopular opinion, but I think they are truly ugly on most vehicles.
But again that's my opinion.