The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-11-2017, 03:47 PM   #1
'65 chevy lover

Emergency brake upgrade problems

Trying to up grade my '65 C10 emergency brake to the same as the '66, but the cables aren't quite the same. The 'prongs' on the end the cable that inserts into the drum that keep the cable from coming out, don't keep the cable tight. There's about 1/4" - 5/16" difference in the end of the cable. Has anyone else had this problem when trying to upgrade from '65 to '66 emergency brakes? Below are pics of the cables. It's kind of hard to see the difference, but it allows a lot of slop. Is it possible that I was sent the wrong cables from LMC or, is there a difference in the '65 and '66 brake drum or, is it even something to worry about?
Thanks for any help, I'd be very appreciative of it!
Attached Images

'65 chevy lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 11:05 PM   #2
AcampoDave

Re: Emergency brake upgrade problems

Will the prongs keep the cable housing securely inserted into the backing plate when you yank the handle? That would be my main concern. By "yank" I don't just mean setting the brake, but a full on lock 'em up emergency stop type yank. Then when you return the handle do the cables slacken enough to fully release the wheels? Remember, the cable housing is also secured to the trailing arms by those clamp deals which also provide addional immobility.

Last edited by AcampoDave; 12-11-2017 at 11:10 PM.
AcampoDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 06:27 PM   #3
'65 chevy lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcampoDave View Post
Will the prongs keep the cable housing securely inserted into the backing plate when you yank the handle? That would be my main concern. By "yank" I don't just mean setting the brake, but a full on lock 'em up emergency stop type yank. Then when you return the handle do the cables slacken enough to fully release the wheels? Remember, the cable housing is also secured to the trailing arms by those clamp deals which also provide addional immobility.
I don't have any more of it done, this is just where I started.
'65 chevy lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 09:12 PM   #4
AcampoDave

I guess you only have 2 options. Send 'em back and keep on shopping for a duplicate of the original. It may be tough to to find since we're likely looking at all this stuff to be imported, but who knows, maybe Brother's or possibly even Early Classic Enterprises might have a different supplier. Or just try it out and see. I doubt the holes in the backing plate changed much since I use my stock cables in a 5 lug squarebody rear end without any fitment problems.
AcampoDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 09:22 PM   #5
racecougar

Measure the amount of "slop", then use a washer of that thickness to take up said "slop".