The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-18-2017, 09:34 AM   #51
LDO

Re: Old Blue

Decided to remove the silver metal overlay on my dash bezel and paint it all black, see if I like it. Did the same to the trim in between the AC vents on the passenger side.

Then went to work on installing a set of JL Audio C@-350X 3.5 speakers on the dash. Installed them from underneath and only had to drill a new hole on the passenger side. Should allow for plenty of tweeter clearance for the new black dash I ordered from Cheyenne Truck Parts.

Last pic is how much of tweeter stick out above dash opening (practically none).
Attached Images

LDO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 09:45 AM   #52
LDO

I decided I would upgrade the speaker wiring but I still wanted to use the OEM connectors. Rather than try to re-use the old pins I scored this on Ebay and just crimped and soldered the new pins onto the new wiring.

I also used the speaker brackets from our forum member. They fit great and I put some insulation on the inside after drilling the holes I needed for the 6x9 speakers.

At first, the speakers I intended on using had a larger magnet so I was going to have to space the brackets but then found a good deal on these Kenwood KFC-6984 PS 4-ways that fit perfectly.
Attached Images

Old 02-18-2017, 09:49 AM   #53
LDO

I modified my stock radio with an aux input so I can listen to my music from my ipod. Check everything out and after finding a bad aux cable, everything works as it should.

I used an existing hole in the bottom of the dash for the aux input and it fit perfectly and can hardly be seen...

I really wanted one of those retro sound radios that use usb and charge my ipod but that will have to wait until the budget allows. Too much still to do.
Attached Images

Old 02-18-2017, 09:56 AM   #54
LDO

Here are the seat belts I'll be using and my new seat completely re-done by TKCR.

Next phase will be to figure out what I want to do with the rear cab wall and how to make it flow with the speaker brackets...
Attached Images

Old 02-18-2017, 10:21 AM   #55
legendman

Nice nice and more nice.
Looking good. On the hunt for a shortbed myself, sold all my K30 crewcabs, I am going low.
Originally Posted by smackzed View Post
I put a chevrolet tailgate on my last truck and it started acting like a girl...love me, need me, want me pay attention to me. Took it off and put the GMC back on (fixed the latch) and it went back to being the same old dirty bastard it used to be
legendman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 10:33 AM   #56
TKCR

That looks awesome, what you have done so far. Absolutely love the door panels and the lower door panel, that is sweet!!

Can't wait to see that AWESOME NEWLY RESTORED SEAT in the truck!!!
TKCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 04:54 PM   #57
LDO

Thanks everyone.

This weekend was a bit of 1 step forward, 3 steps back. While running my passenger door window up and down I noticed a clunk 1/2 way up. Part of the run channel had become brittle and pretty much gone and when I ran my fingers along it, well, now most of it is gone.

So....

had to remove all the door stuff, panel, and liner I had installed and placed the stuff on order to wait some more on parts and then time. I only installed the passenger side rear speaker bracket and speaker and went back inside.

That's how it goes I guess. I did manage to tile and panel the hallway bathroom so the wife was happy about that....

more to follow...
Old 02-21-2017, 08:12 PM   #58
daddyjeep

Gotta keep the wifey happy.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=786514
daddyjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 01:51 PM   #59
mattcrp1

Nice truck. What carpet kit did you use?
Upper Control Arm Bushings: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=616974
IG mattcrp1
mattcrp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 03:10 PM   #60
LDO

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattcrp1 View Post
Nice truck. What carpet kit did you use?
Trim parts carpet. Very happy with it.
Old 02-25-2017, 04:09 PM   #61
Azryael

If you don't mind me asking, what is that material you're using from Lowes in place of dynamat, and how much did it set you back?

Years back on another forum we got into a discussion about cheaper (cost) alternatives to Dynamat, but the issue with the hardware store material was that it left a tar-like smell in the cabin in the hot Texas summers.
Azryael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 06:53 PM   #62
TKCR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azryael View Post
If you don't mind me asking, what is that material you're using from Lowes in place of dynamat, and how much did it set you back?

Years back on another forum we got into a discussion about cheaper (cost) alternatives to Dynamat, but the issue with the hardware store material was that it left a tar-like smell in the cabin in the hot Texas summers.
It's called Peal & Seal Aluminum, 6"x25 ft roll is $18. I used the same stuff on the back wall of my truck. Never had a problem with the smell.
Old 02-26-2017, 10:04 AM   #63
LDO

Thanks TKCR,
she is correct. Aluminum peel and seal.
https://www.lowes.com/search?searchT...+peel+and+seal

used it on two trucks so far and haven't had any smell issues with Florida or Mississippi heat.
Old 02-26-2017, 01:18 PM   #64
Azryael

Fantastic! Spent so much on Dynamat on just two vehicles alone, and I have three more to do.

Any way, truck looks fantastic!
Azryael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 01:51 PM   #65
TKCR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azryael View Post
Fantastic! Spent so much on Dynamat on just two vehicles alone, and I have three more to do.

Any way, truck looks fantastic!
Check out this stuff that N2TRUX used, starts on post #483

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...705824&page=20
Old 02-26-2017, 01:52 PM   #66
TKCR

LDO, Any updates on the truck?
Old 02-27-2017, 01:02 PM   #67
LDO

After putting the pass. door together and finished up, i noticed the window didn't track well and the run channel was deteriorated so tore everything back apart to get it right. replaced window motor, inner and outer felts and the run channel. Then decided to clean up the vent window. rubber looked good but there was some corrosion where the run channel sits so i corrected all of that. Still haven't put it all back together but the window now tracks nicely up and down.

In my frustration with all of this, I didn't take any pictures....LOL

That blew most of my Sunday which was the only day I was able to work on the truck.
Old 02-27-2017, 01:20 PM   #68
TKCR

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDO View Post
After putting the pass. door together and finished up, i noticed the window didn't track well and the run channel was deteriorated so tore everything back apart to get it right. replaced window motor, inner and outer felts and the run channel. Then decided to clean up the vent window. rubber looked good but there was some corrosion where the run channel sits so i corrected all of that. Still haven't put it all back together but the window now tracks nicely up and down.

In my frustration with all of this, I didn't take any pictures....LOL

That blew most of my Sunday which was the only day I was able to work on the truck.
I have had plenty of days like that!! Remember the barn door I was telling you about, all the way back when you were here, picking up your seat & hood? Well this weekend, I finally got it done. That was one of the most frustrating projects I have ever done. I could only work on it in small stages because I was so frustrated with it. I'll text you some pics later.
Old 03-06-2017, 06:38 PM   #69
LDO

Not a whole lot to report. Progress on ol' Blue has been slow. I think I've taken the passenger door apart about 4 times. One more time, I get a set of steak knives or something!

Decided to take break from that and install my new (tinted) wind-sheild. Even got my youngest away from his xbox long enough to teach him something.

New seal from Precision Parts. Even managed to get the chrome locking strip inserted without loosing the feeling in my fingertips!

Next week is spring break at the high school so maybe i get to install my new dash and lets not forget my new seat from member TKCR!

stay tuned...
Attached Images

Old 03-06-2017, 10:35 PM   #70
TKCR

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDO View Post
Not a whole lot to report. Progress on ol' Blue has been slow. I think I've taken the passenger door apart about 4 times. One more time, I get a set of steak knives or something!

Decided to take break from that and install my new (tinted) wind-sheild. Even got my youngest away from his xbox long enough to teach him something.

New seal from Precision Parts. Even managed to get the chrome locking strip inserted without loosing the feeling in my fingertips!

Next week is spring break at the high school so maybe i get to install my new dash and lets not forget my new seat from member TKCR!

stay tuned...

I couldn't tell you how many times I had the doors apart and put back together again. I will say this, I'm good at it now!!
Old Blue is looking good!!
Old 03-07-2017, 05:18 AM   #71
billnorman

How about a comment on interior noise level since the sound abatement installation? My 1985 sounds like a tin drum.
billnorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 11:13 AM   #72
blazer2007

could you tell me what you used to clean old glue off with and what did you use for paint. thanks,I,m just redoing mine
blazer2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 02:58 PM   #73
LDO

Quote:
Originally Posted by billnorman View Post
How about a comment on interior noise level since the sound abatement installation? My 1985 sounds like a tin drum.
Truck has not been on road since i started but i'll report once I take her out.
Old 03-07-2017, 03:00 PM   #74
LDO

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazer2007 View Post
could you tell me what you used to clean old glue off with and what did you use for paint. thanks,I,m just redoing mine
Old glue? If you mean around windsheild, it only had a small amount around the corners. Goof off and a razor blade. Then I sprayed the pinch weld areas with rust inhibitor which dries a flat black.
Old 03-25-2017, 06:43 PM   #75
LDO

Well,
today was only supposed to be a few hours but it actually took almost all day. Don't feel like I got much done but here it is. Installed new AC vents and stainless trim on the dash then made my first attempt at installing the dash itself. The clips don't seem to really lock anything in place but it does keep the dash from lifting. I figure that and the pressure from the screws on the bottom edge (pass side) and the guage bezel will keep things in place. Wish I could say it fit like factory but what every does? Anyways, got that installed along with all the interior moldings. I removed my dome light since the wires seemed to rub on the sharp sheet metal edges so I took some small rubber tubing, slit it down the middle and lined the edges of the sheet metal and it worked out great. I also finished up the rear wall carpet. Here are pics of the progress on Ol' Blue.
Attached Images