The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-23-2017, 05:20 PM   #1
GMDad

Thoughts on LWB vs SWB trucks

Curious to see what others think. I have had my '86 LWB Silverado for about a year and a half. Done all the normal little things the previous owner wasn't interested in. It's a 305 with a TH350 motor getting a little tired but air, windows, locks, radio all work good. New rad, battery, heater core and trim items. Anyways had a buddy wants my long box as he owned one the same color 20 years ago. Calls me up last night to come look at a '84 SWB. It has a 350 with 700R4. Air and windows not working, needs paint but a real nice southern body that looks like it's rust free. Needs most of the TLC we been doing for the last year. Wants to trade me even for the truck. Took it out for a ride but no comparison to my LWB truck. Mind you it needs tires but I thought a very choppy ride. Is that the norm for SWB trucks ? As of right now we are going to pass on the deal. What's your opinion ?
GMDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 05:33 PM   #2
mongocanfly
Post Whore

Re: Thoughts on LWB vs SWB trucks

although I prefer swb ,just from what you've described. ...I'd pass..I've heard the lwb vs swb ride quality arguments forever..I've owned both and to me both ride good..given the suspensions in good shape

RIP Dad
RIP Jesse

1981 C30 LQ9 NV4500..http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=753598
Mongos AD- LS3 TR6060...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...34#post8522334
Columbus..the 1957 IH 4x4...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...63#post8082563
2023 Chevy Z71..daily driver
mongocanfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 07:58 PM   #3
streetstar

"Needs paint"

Thats a pretty expensive sentence there

Nonsense! I'm in my prime
streetstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 09:39 PM   #4
GMDad

Exactly. Looks like the top and hood are all peeling off.
Old 11-23-2017, 11:18 PM   #5
Dead Parrot

How do you plan on using a truck? If it is mostly a daily driver and not carrying a load, doesn't make much difference. If you haul a lot of stuff, that extra length could make the difference between an easy load and one you have to work to safely haul.

I see a lot of folks at the box store lumber yards struggling to fit 4x8 sheets into their new crew cab short beds. Me, just slide them in the back and close the tailgate on my LWB 75. 12' boards haul easy with the tailgate down.

In any case, you would be trading a set of problems you mostly know for a set you mostly don't know.
Dead Parrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 07:44 AM   #6
D13

I refuse to buy SWB because I can't get anything in them. But I use mine as trucks not cars (I have cars for commuting).

So, it really comes down to what you want it for. I'm guessing rust is an issue there, here a non-rusty body costs more than the drive train. On the other hand all the little things that don't work add up to time and $$. The ride issue may well be someone thinking it needed more than 4 leaves in the spring packs, or putting super stiff shocks on it. Both my newer trucks ride a lot better with 500 pounds in the bed, they are overshocked of daily driving because I have them set up for hauling stuff.
Plus a mess o' tractors
D13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 08:56 AM   #7
GMDad

That's kinda why we passed on it. Our truck also gets used for hauling and at my age I don't need a new set of problems or surprises. Thanks for the replys
Old 11-24-2017, 11:01 AM   #8
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

Ive been a fan of the LWB . I have many trucks and the LWB is the most useful as a truck. all the hotrodders prefer the SWB trucks. My fully restored LWB is having a problem fetching a good price yet I see not near as nice SWB trucks asking double...

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 04:15 PM   #9
Joe Z

I use my swb truck for hauling and I agree that they can be a pain with long boards and such but as far as ride quality they should be about the same. Mine has 1 ton springs (modified) but rides the same as my buddies 3/4 ton. Not choppy however the swb has a much better turning radius witch I like and it's better in the woods and snow than any lwb I owned.
Joe Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 05:54 PM   #10
Eyegore
What Hump?

I've had both short and long. The long bed was a 78 - 3/4 ton camper special road rough all the time. The 86 short bed never really noticed the ride just the thumbs up, so just get both.
Eyegore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 11:17 PM   #11
Super_Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by old Rusty C10 View Post
Ive been a fan of the LWB . I have many trucks and the LWB is the most useful as a truck. all the hotrodders prefer the SWB trucks. My fully restored LWB is having a problem fetching a good price yet I see not near as nice SWB trucks asking double...
Funny... it's just like how "patina" brings double or triple compared to back in the day when "needs paint" meant you got it a lot cheaper.

Don't get me started on the girls wearing jeans with more material missing then they are wearing. . . for $150+. . .

"Life is tough - wear a cup!"
"Old Enough to Know Better - Too Young to Resist"
"Junk is something you will need three weeks after you throw it away."
Super_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 12:46 AM   #12
streetstar

I too like the utility of a longbed, as a kid growing up racing motocross, it was nice to be able to close the tailgate when the bed was full of bikes, gas cans and tools

The appearance of the long beds grew on me. But at the same time I recognize that a short bed truck has a higher value ceiling , if both trucks are equivalent otherwise, --- but that's also a big if.

To our children, and our children's children ---- any of these old rides are pretty cool when done right.

I remember an article in Hot Rod from late 1986 proclaiming -- "The '57 is 30! " -- (30 years of age used to be a milestone of sorts ---- now an '87 square body is 30 years old )

Nonsense! I'm in my prime

Last edited by streetstar; 11-25-2017 at 10:36 AM.
streetstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 04:51 AM   #13
andrewmp6

I have rode in both trucks long bed and short bed honestly they rode about the same to me.If it rides rough its got wore out suspension parts/tires,But both are easy to fix.If the trade is fair or you come out better i would take it if not i wouldn't unless he offered some cash.
andrewmp6 is offline   Reply With Quote