The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > projects and builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-02-2016, 06:22 PM   #26
61_FL_Apache
Who Me?

Re: '61 Apache "BoomStick"

Looks like your off to a great start!!

1997 Tahoe LT 4D 2WD (DD)
1961 Apache 10 (sold)
1965 C10 Stepper (sold)
61_FL_Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 02:53 PM   #27
Northwest Outlaw

Big Step Forward
All winter i've been tackling little tasks such as cleaning the engine for painting, cleaning the engine bay, etc. Well as the weather gets nicer and I see more and more hot rods running the streets i've been inspired to try and make some real progress. I've had the new drop spindles, shocks and disc brakes sitting in their boxes for a few months now and decided to check that task off the list.
With the guidance of a buddy who knows more than me I started tearing apart the driver's side suspension. It took a whole day, a trip for bigger sockets, an exploded 1/2" ratchet and the help of my neighbor and his 50 year old breaker bar but I finally was able to break loose all the nuts and ball joints. Then I spent another evening cleaning off 50+ years of mud, dirt, rust and oil build up before I could spray the controls arms with rust inhibitor primer (lip sticking a pig is the over riding theme on this build). Installing the new spindle, rotor and brake caliper was the easiest part! Then i had to start the other side...which went a lot faster now that I knew what I was doing.
I got a friend coming to help me run new brake lines next.
Attached Images

Northwest Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 03:25 PM   #28
Northwest Outlaw

The logical next step after installing the disc brakes is...you guessed it, brake lines, master cylinder and booster! woo hoo! Picked up fittings and pre-flared lengths of hardline from my local parts shop, Roxbury Complete Auto Supply (fully would recommend to anyone in West Seattle) Saturday morning. By 730pm I had all the lines run, MC and booster mounted and brake pedal re-connected.
Using the old line from the cross member as a guide I bent the new lines to fit right back in the same location, although now there are separate lines for front and rear. Spent 45 min bending modeling wire as mock ups for the drops from the MC to the cross member, cause you know that looks are everything!
Drilled holes in the firewall for the power booster, i know that makes some people cringe. If you knew the condition of my truck you wouldn't think twice, but on the next one i'll get a fancy mounting bracket. Inside the cab i needed to add a coupler and length of thread to extend the brake push rod and allow for some adjustment capability in the pedal. After the install i checked to make sure the push rod wouldn't extend too far when the pedal bottomed out, a precaution i wouldn't have thought about without the guidance of a hotrod buddy.
Final step will installing a Wilwood proportioning valve for the rear brakes. Package tracking shows it being delivered today, so i should be able to get the system wet and start bleeding this evening. If i can convince the wifey to help me!
Attached Images

Old 05-18-2016, 12:04 AM   #29
62stepside longbox

Looks good, going with an auto tranny sure looks like it was easier since you didn't have to deal with the hydraulic clutch
my build thread. Sending unit solution
62stepside longbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 09:55 AM   #30
1981_c10

Keep it up! Cant wait to tear into mine. The brake and suspension info is helpful as I plan to go a similar route.

1962 C10 Recreating Dad's High School Truck
1981 C10
1981_c10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 12:54 PM   #31
Northwest Outlaw

When you're learning how to wrench on cars for the first time, things take time. I'm learning this. Getting the right parts, having the budget for the parts, getting old parts that will work for much less than new parts, having the tools to install the parts, and then figuring out all the parts you didn't even know you'd need to get...
Luckily there are great resources available to new car guys, such as this forum and the internet in general. But what i've found is that nothing can replace the resource that is "That Buddy". That buddy who used to build cars, that buddy who has a welder he can bring over, that buddy who has some old parts sitting in the garage that he'd rather see put to use than collect dust, that buddy who stays with you in the garage until 2am to finish the task we set out to complete that evening. I'm so glad to have found That Buddy.
Erik has helped me get the engine and trans in the truck. Figured out where the mounts will go. Helped fab up a trans mount off the T-Bar cross member and is making me some custom aluminium spacers. Put the motor in and measured for everything, pulled it out, bolted trans to motor and put it all back in, welded trans mount, made make-shift motor mount spacers and got everything set into place.
I still need to pull it all out once more to put the torque converter and flywheel on and get a starter installed. then she can be bolted in "for good"
Attached Images

Old 07-18-2016, 01:01 PM   #32
Northwest Outlaw

Other things i've accomplished (need to keep reminding myself that i am making progress) over the last months.
-got the brakes working without leaking
-Engine cleaned up and painted
-Installed "new" Edelbrock Performer intake manifold
-rebuilt the rochester quadrajet
-installed rear springs, 3" lower (combined with the 2.5" drop spindles in front she is sitting close to perfect for me, just needs a little torsion bar adjustment for a slight rake)
Attached Images

Old 07-18-2016, 05:51 PM   #33
61_FL_Apache
Who Me?

Looking good!!

1961 Apache 10 (sold)
1965 C10 Stepper (sold)
Old 07-18-2016, 10:56 PM   #34
lumpy63

Dude… ahmen to "THAT BUDDY" that is always what made this hot rod - custom car -truck world go around! Its always good to have a bunch of like minded guys around to bounce ideas off of .
lumpy63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 12:35 PM   #35
Northwest Outlaw

Got a smoking Craigslist deal on a Lokar shifter and set of unused, shorty headers ($75). The headers helped solve the torsion bar and frame clearance issues the other set were having. The shifter didn't have the mounting hardware, or linkage for the control/trans shift arm so i had to try my hand at some fabrication. With an angle grinder, cut off wheel, flap disc, drill and 1.5"x1/8" bar stock I think I did a halfway decent job.
Attached Images

Old 08-31-2016, 01:03 PM   #36
namloc

Lookin good, Coming right along with some fabrication time.
Old 08-31-2016, 03:30 PM   #37
The1960APE

Moving right along!!!! Its looking good!
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=679735
The1960APE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 07:33 PM   #38
mud.man.rj

Nice adapter, looks great.
mud.man.rj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 02:22 PM   #39
metalprelude

I bought a 61 two months ago with almost identical engine and problems. I'm watching your posts as each of the changes, repairs, and upgrades you make are certainly the items I'm planning. I had a front wheel fall-off while driving last weekend so the brakes, spindles, booster, and MC are my next items. Did you have good luck with the Summit parts you ordered? Did you have any problems with the pushrods length or the brake pedal length bottoming-out?
metalprelude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 04:41 PM   #40
whitels1

Diggin the build man, Keep at it!

GoldyLS1 K20 Build

My K10 Rock Crawler

-Dave
whitels1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 04:57 PM   #41
62 Barnfind

Truck is looking good! What size brake line did you use?
My build tread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=507513
62 Barnfind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 08:47 PM   #42
Northwest Outlaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalprelude View Post
I bought a 61 two months ago with almost identical engine and problems. I'm watching your posts as each of the changes, repairs, and upgrades you make are certainly the items I'm planning. I had a front wheel fall-off while driving last weekend so the brakes, spindles, booster, and MC are my next items. Did you have good luck with the Summit parts you ordered? Did you have any problems with the pushrods length or the brake pedal length bottoming-out?
Quote:
Originally Posted by 62 Barnfind View Post
Truck is looking good! What size brake line did you use?
Thanks guys. It's always encouraging to have other looking on and rooting me on. Hopefully my progress isn't too slow for you all, I know i'd love it to be going faster!
As for the new spindle and brake parts from McGaughys (thru summit) I am very pleased with them so far. Since I haven't been able to rode test them, that whole "no engine" problem...I can't give a full report. As for install and fitment they were great. One problem with the disc brake kit was I got a bad rubber brake line that leaked. McGaughys' customer service was quick to supply a replacement part and all is well.
The MC and booster came from a 1976 C10, according to the man off craigslist. Because the MC and booster were already together there wasn't any push rod issue between them. I did have to add an extension to the push rod to reach the brake pedal; i used some threaded rod and a coupling nut.
Running the brake lines went much quicker than I anticipated. I used the old lines as "jigs" to bend the new lines and used 3/8 line for everything. The original had 1/4 running from the MC to the front lines and then down to 3/8 to the rear. The new MC is dual reservoir so 3/8 "should be plenty" according to my parts guy at Roxbury Auto Parts.
As for stopping power, they hold the truck still with me trying to push it! that's all the testing i've been able to do until i get the drive train put back in. Which should be soon, but not soon enough.
Thanks again to all who are following this build, even if it's just for a good laugh at an amateur busting his knuckles. So far i'm having more fun than i thought a truck project would be
Old 09-13-2016, 05:07 PM   #43
61_FL_Apache
Who Me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwest Outlaw View Post
Thanks guys. It's always encouraging to have other looking on and rooting me on. Hopefully my progress isn't too slow for you all, I know i'd love it to be going faster!
As for the new spindle and brake parts from McGaughys (thru summit) I am very pleased with them so far. Since I haven't been able to rode test them, that whole "no engine" problem...I can't give a full report. As for install and fitment they were great. One problem with the disc brake kit was I got a bad rubber brake line that leaked. McGaughys' customer service was quick to supply a replacement part and all is well.
The MC and booster came from a 1976 C10, according to the man off craigslist. Because the MC and booster were already together there wasn't any push rod issue between them. I did have to add an extension to the push rod to reach the brake pedal; i used some threaded rod and a coupling nut.
Running the brake lines went much quicker than I anticipated. I used the old lines as "jigs" to bend the new lines and used 3/8 line for everything. The original had 1/4 running from the MC to the front lines and then down to 3/8 to the rear. The new MC is dual reservoir so 3/8 "should be plenty" according to my parts guy at Roxbury Auto Parts.
As for stopping power, they hold the truck still with me trying to push it! that's all the testing i've been able to do until i get the drive train put back in. Which should be soon, but not soon enough.
Thanks again to all who are following this build, even if it's just for a good laugh at an amateur busting his knuckles. So far i'm having more fun than i thought a truck project would be
Subscribed till your done!! Keep up the good work!!

1961 Apache 10 (sold)
1965 C10 Stepper (sold)
Old 11-21-2016, 07:31 PM   #44
Northwest Outlaw

Project Update October and November 2016:
Engine and Trans are installed and bolted in for the last time (fingers crossed).
Threw on a new starter, oil filter, rotor/cap/points, spark plugs and wires, alternator and headers (switch to block huggers since the last picture cause the long tubes i had weren't clearing the frame on the drivers side). The torque converter was a little tricky as I had to re-thread one of the bolt holes, saved by Helicoil. My buddy wasn't around to help this time, so i risked the solo install with my sketchy cherry picker (two wheels don't rotate and one doesn't spin...) here is the video: https://youtu.be/61QrMdg9BKE

Once the engine was in I remembered that I still needed to drill two holes for each engine mount. Luckily i was able to lift the engine up high enough to get the drill under without having to pull it all back out! My buddy did make me some slick 3/4" aluminum spacers so I could use the old mounts. There was enough clearance above the cross member to low mount the alternator on the driver's side. At some point i'll think about upgrading to power steering and will have to relocate it.
The new wiring harnesses came from ClassicParts.com (http://www.classicparts.com/Wiring-H.../products/205/) I had to use the '63 version since i now have an alternator not a generator. The plugs match and everything has a place to go so i'm thinking it's going to work out fine. The previous-previous owner did quite the hack job on the wiring so i'm sure i'll run into some problems under the dash, but at least the engine bay looks super clean!
A spark plug wire kit from JEGS (http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS-Performan...40200/10002/-1) allowed me to cut the wires to lengths i wanted. One of the header tubes was running tight against the number 3 plug so i had to break out "the persuader" and make room for the plug boot. I'm hoping the high temp boots do well as they are still a little closer to the headers than i'd like.
As I expected there are lots of little things that I wasn't able to foresee as i'm trying to button up this swap. The Edlebrok intake doesn't have the same mounting location for the automatic-mechanical choke, so now I have to figure out what to do about that. Making progress forward and it now looks a lot closer with an engine sitting in it!
Attached Images

Old 11-21-2016, 11:43 PM   #45
Joe Pass

nice work...
Joe Pass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 07:39 PM   #46
Northwest Outlaw

SHE'S ALIVE!!!
https://youtu.be/txtKBJ_lQXc
After spending a couple weekends getting a bunch of little things buttoned up on the engine, and a small break for Christmas back home with the folks, I had my buddy Erik come back over to help get things fired up. I was hopeful that i was within a day's worth of work from getting the engine started, but only about 60%. It was probably a combination of doubt in my wrenching skills and managing my expectations.
I had thrown the old radiator back on just for this as i'm going to order a new 3-row champion aluminium rad with trans cooler, but the new one has the same inlet and outlet placements and sizes so I pick up new hoses.
Once we poured some new gas in the tank and finished off the last of the wiring to the battery and starter, I was sure i would have get under the dash and fix what the P.O. had done in there (see previous posts to witness the wire nests I've had to deal with). On Erik's advice "lets see if it works as it should and then track down any problems" I turned the key and she cranked! She cranked and cranked and cranked and cranked...
Drained one battery but luckily i had another, sitting in a '75 f100 i had recently picked up, and we threw it in. Gas started showing up in the in-line filter so we knew the pump was working, but we were helping out by giving her a little extra shot straight down the throat. After getting a bunch of backfires, Erik popped open the distributor cap and my novice skills presented themselves. I had installed the distributor 180 out. We flipped that thing around and she fired up on the first crank! In the video it sounds off at first because we forgot to put the #1 spark plug back in after finding TDC.
Erik spent 15 min fiddling with the carb, swearing the whole time at the Rochester Quadrajet and how i should get a holley. He was able to get the idle to a decent spot.
Such a good feeling to have a running truck! well, the engine runs. I still need a drive shaft, new radiator and exhaust before she's street worthy.
For all his help, and his Christmas gift I made the saw for him.
Attached Images

Old 01-04-2017, 08:43 PM   #47
61_FL_Apache
Who Me?

Sounds great! Nothing better than the first start!

1961 Apache 10 (sold)
1965 C10 Stepper (sold)
Old 01-05-2017, 03:42 PM   #48
The1960APE

Congratulations on the fire up!!! No matter how many times I experience it, the thrill is always incredible! Good work man!
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=679735
The1960APE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 08:06 PM   #49
realvc

Congrats. on your truck.
I just found your thread looking for info. on mounting the power brake booster on a 62.

My plan is to use everything I can from an 82 donor.
Thanks for a great write up on your fine truck, well done.
Galatians 6:14
62 SWB stepside, 94 Wrangler, 99 Z71, 99 vette

My Project http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=719086
"If it's too loud, you're too old"
realvc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 06:22 PM   #50
Northwest Outlaw

Continuing to make steps forward, getting closer to a drive-able truck again. A running engine isn't much good without a throttle control, so i ordered some Mr. Gasket Carburetor Linkage Standard Ball Joints and whipped one out real quick! Luckily it didn't require anything crazy, just one rod from the stock pedal armature to the Quadrajet and a return spring. Took a cue from Roadkill Garage and used a zip-tie for one of it's million uses to get the right length of rod. I left some play for adjustment if needed.
Also got the back wheels on. I had to use 1.5" spacers to get the 245s to sit centered in the wheel wells. Spacers aren't the "right way to do that" i know, but for temporary wheels and tires off craigslist for cheap it will do the job until i can order some Detroit Steel wheels with the correct backspacing.
My new Champion 3 core radiator should be arriving tomorrow, i'll take the drive shaft in for shortening and balance and then I just need to button up a few hoses to the th400 before her first test drive.
Attached Images