The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-15-2018, 08:54 PM   #1
rally

Bump stops and control issues

I'm trying to sort out some control issues with my truck. Whenever I hit any uneven surface or bumps, my truck makes a pretty decent attempt to throw me off the road. I believe the issue is that the front end is bottoming out on the bump stops, but before I start doing anything I wanted to check with you guys to see what else may be wrong and see what's the best path forward.

I'd like to keep the lowered stance in the front, but do it the right way and I don't think this is right. Any thoughts and advice would be greatly appreciated.
Attached Images

Old 10-18-2018, 05:20 PM   #2
68 P.O.S.

Re: Bump stops and control issues

You can always shave off some of the rubber on your bump stops. My truck is lowered as well, but doesn't have bump stops. The PO cut off the bump stop brackets. When it "bottoms out", the tires scrub the inner fenders. It's not that bad and doesn't happen very often so I don't even worry about it.
Old 10-18-2018, 06:29 PM   #3
my67c20

Um, I do not see a shock, without it there is nothing to provide resistance to prevent the springs from springing. Surprised that you have not already wound up in the ditch. Cut the bump stops lower and the problem will get worse. Those are the only thing keeping you on the road.
my67c20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 07:19 PM   #4
68 P.O.S.

Good catch, no shocks on either side. I was focused on the bump stops. Umm, yeah, shocks are kind of an important thing.
Old 10-18-2018, 07:36 PM   #5
Overdriven

The shocks are there, kind of hard to see through the springs.

The best way to lower is with drop spindles, I see what look like stock height spindles and all your lowering is with the springs. Drop spindles maintain stock geometry, stock amount of travel so you can use stock length shocks, etc and the ride is usually better. Lowering with springs reduces travel, puts the suspension in a less desirable area of its geometry, rides harsher since travel is reduced and lowering springs need to be stiffer etc. Lowering with just springs can also introduce bumpsteer which is exactly like the name implies. Hit a bump, suspension compresses and while compressing the spindle is also steered by the tie rod due to the geometry.

Note where the front wheel center is in relation to the body. Then have a look at the “static drop” thread in the “Suspension Section”, it’s a Sticky near the top. There you’ll find pics with the drop listed, find a drop where the wheel center is at about the same spot on the body as your truck. Now go shopping for a spindle and spring combo to achieve that drop, install and get an alignment.
Overdriven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 08:15 PM   #6
dmjlambert

The pictures seem to hide perfectly how the steering links are connected together. Is the center link flipped? I think of that when somebody mentions stability because it's come up here on the forum quite a few times.
dmjlambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 08:50 PM   #7
Shinysideup

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmjlambert View Post
The pictures seem to hide perfectly how the steering links are connected together. Is the center link flipped? I think of that when somebody mentions stability because it's come up here on the forum quite a few times.
This.
. [_____(O)_|_'|__}>-------[-_(O)__i'___i (O)-]

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68 P.O.S. View Post
No thank you on that lifetime warranty. I don't want a turd for life.
Shinysideup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 09:06 PM   #8
HO455
Post Whore

All good ideas. I would also check the control arm bushings. They will wear over time especially if they are not greased regularly. They will wear into a certain spot that generally allows the vehicle to be driven fairly well. Then when you bottom out and the bump stop becomes the piviot for the control arm and the bottom end of the spindle flops around pointing the wheel some other direction. When I tore my Burban down there was more than a 1/4" of slop in the rear bushings. It drove fine until you hit the bump stop and then it was Mr Toad's wild ride!
If it breaks I didn't want it in the first place
The WMB repair thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=698377
HO455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 12:07 PM   #9
bs46488

I have this exact same issue. My truck was lowered with 4" drop springs by the previous owner. It looks like the PO on my truck cut the bump stops (with an axe) and I can just barely run my finders in between. I'm sure it contacts them during driving.

I'm planning on redoing with drop spindles, 1" drop springs, full rebuild of front suspension parts, and getting an alignment.

1970 Nova: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=708161
bs46488 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 03:57 PM   #10
dmjlambert

If you're having steering instability or control issues, I recommend you and rally post pictures showing how the center link is attached, unless you are really confident it is not flipped. Folks on the forum will recognize if it is right.
dmjlambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 06:58 PM   #11
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

The tie rods should attach to the center link from the rear. The tie rod nuts should face forward.

Gary

My 1972 GMC 1500 Super Custom (Creeping Death) "long term" build thread.

The Rebuild of Creeping Death after the wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I would never rebuild a 305.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.
GASoline71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 08:36 PM   #12
Simple10

Quote:
Originally Posted by rally View Post
I'm trying to sort out some control issues with my truck. Whenever I hit any uneven surface or bumps, my truck makes a pretty decent attempt to throw me off the road. I believe the issue is that the front end is bottoming out on the bump stops, but before I start doing anything I wanted to check with you guys to see what else may be wrong and see what's the best path forward.

I'd like to keep the lowered stance in the front, but do it the right way and I don't think this is right. Any thoughts and advice would be greatly appreciated.
Hi rally atleast yours are not touching when sitting normal, When I picked up my c10 and drove it home I got a few bumps and heard this hell of a bang , I’m thinking WTF is that! I get home look underneath and one bump stop isn’t even there and the other side is just resting on the bump stop I’m pretty sure there should be a space between the stop and body? Correct me if I’m wrong..... I just ordered lower bump stops for lower vehicles
Attached Images

Simple10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 06:04 AM   #13
Bigdav160

Your tie rods are not parallel to the ground. This will result in bump steer which, from your description, is the issue you are having. I bet someone makes and adapter to mount a heim link under the steering arm.
'73 Z-28 Camaro
'63 Ford SWB Uni Pickup
'50 Ford Coupe
Bigdav160 is offline   Reply With Quote