The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Info Center > Review Board > Vendor Reviews

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-10-2016, 09:57 AM   #26
68Timber
I know the pieces fit

Re: Rock Auto WARNING

Automated email response:
Thank you for your e-mail to the ACDelco web site. We appreciate hearing
from all of our current and future customers!

Our representatives normally respond to e-mail messages within 24 hours. At times we may experience higher volumes of e-mail messages which may create a delay.

Rest assured, we will answer your message in the shortest time possible.

Thank you for your interest in ACDelco!

ACDelco Internet Response Team

Still waiting to hear what they say about it.

79 2wd Blazer (Bruiser)
85 M1009 Blazer (Sarge) build
74 Honda Z50 build
68Timber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 08:07 PM   #27
71meangreenc10
Its a Truck Thing......

Just checked my RockAuto "AC/DELCO" Idler Arm in its AC/DELCO box......It is a brand new BAW Idler Arm.......Maybe time to switch to GMpartsdirect.

Garbage.

I did however email the fraud team to see what they can do.

Smitty
72 Chevy Blazer 4X4, Sloppy Jo, Mountain Climber. Wife says no more trucks. http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=707378
72 GMC 1 Ton Motor Home, wife said no more trucks until she saw this one. Gen 3 6.0/4L80E 4.10 http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=761110
68 GMC Suburban was 3/4 ton, now 1/2.Wife shook her head
71 C30 Wrecker
71 C20 Scott-Bilt As weird as it gets..BB Cheyenne AC Truck
68 GMC Long Stepside. They keep following me home
71 C20 Longhorn/Ole Yellor
69 C30 Former Motor Home, Flat Bed time

Last edited by 71meangreenc10; 08-10-2016 at 08:19 PM.
71meangreenc10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 08:48 PM   #28
gmachinz
Account Suspended

Just buy MOOG....they are USA made.
gmachinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 10:23 PM   #29
69heavychevy

I've given up on Rock Auto. Like mentioned before, when ordering multiple parts the shipping get out of hand really quick. I've also had really bad luck ordering electrical parts from them. I had a dimmer switch, headlight switch, turn signal switch, and neutral safety switch go bad in less than a year. Now I usually look at fleebay, or amazon...
Old 08-11-2016, 11:59 AM   #30
friscobob

I take a close look at freight charges before I hit the buy button, yep, parts originating from different locations are charged separately. Electrical parts are pretty much trash no matter where you get them anymore. My solution to that is: I plan on rewiring from scratch using marine switches, no printed circuits, no big plugins, a fuse block that I can get to AND see. So far I've gotten rid of most of those "safety" devices, just have to saw off that pin that locks the steering wheel.
Bob
friscobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 12:17 PM   #31
68Timber
I know the pieces fit

Still haven't heard back so I emailed them again. Maybe they'll respond this time.

79 2wd Blazer (Bruiser)
74 Honda Z50 build
Old 08-11-2016, 12:33 PM   #32
AnotherWs6

I wouldn't necessarily knock rockauto so much for bad Delco parts. Delco doesn't just sell Delco parts. It seems they sell "approved" parts. I imagine that their interest in older parts dwindles more with time and they farm it out.

Small ticket item, but I bought a Stant gas cap and a Delco one within a month or so's time from Amazon. Exact same caps. Delco one just costs more.

And I've seen my share of "madi in taiwan" stampings on Declo parts as well.
2010 Cadillac CTS Wagon Sport - Wife's DD and the only classy car we have.
AnotherWs6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 09:03 PM   #33
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

I've ordered a lot from Rock Auto without issue.

But I now use their online catalog mainly for part numbers and then either go to my local parts store, or go to Summit Racing and usually have more than enough to get the free shipping from them. Rock Auto's shipping is horrendous for multiple packages.

Gary

My 1972 GMC 1500 Super Custom (Creeping Death) "long term" build thread.

The Rebuild of Creeping Death after the wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I would never rebuild a 305.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.
GASoline71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 09:25 PM   #34
68Timber
I know the pieces fit

I received this reply today, no big surprise. I'll only buy their parts over the counter now, to make sure it's their parts in the box first.

Dear John:

Thank you for visiting the ACDelco website.

Please be advised that ACDelco is committed to providing the quality products that people have come to know and trust. Yes, some of our parts are made overseas, but the manufacturers have strict engineering specifications and guidelines that they must follow in order for the parts to pass the ACDelco standard of quality.

If you can provide specific part names or catalog part numbers, we will be happy to assist you in finding where the parts are manufactured.

For future inquiries, you can also contact our experts at the ACDelco support center by dialing 1-800-ACDELCO (223-3526).

We appreciate your business.

Regards,

Like I said earlier, I don't consider this a Rock Auto problem. I kinda figured it was probably something AC Delco was doing and contacted them just to see if I could verify that. I'll still buy their parts if they're branded with their name. Just a sign of the times...

79 2wd Blazer (Bruiser)
74 Honda Z50 build
Old 08-11-2016, 10:54 PM   #35
friscobob

Raybesto has done the same thing.
Old 08-12-2016, 11:46 AM   #36
71meangreenc10
Its a Truck Thing......

Got this from the GM Global Brand Protection Team

"Thank you for the email. Could you please provide images of the part and its packaging. Please be sure to capture all markings and stampings on the part. If you have the invoice available, please provide this as well."

Lets see how this goes.

Smitty
72 Chevy Blazer 4X4, Sloppy Jo, Mountain Climber. Wife says no more trucks. http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=707378
72 GMC 1 Ton Motor Home, wife said no more trucks until she saw this one. Gen 3 6.0/4L80E 4.10 http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=761110
71 C30 Wrecker
Old 08-12-2016, 06:59 PM   #37
dwcsr
Hollister Road Co.

Raybestos is increasing using multiple vendors ( and countries) for the same item. You can get a ball joint made in India and one made in Malaysia with the same part number and clearly different looking joints. This started about 5 years ago and at first I though it was re boxing issues with returned parts but have since found that most all their parts lines are like this so we no longer purchase Raybestos and stick with Moog, AC Delco and other companies that protect their lines.
dwcsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 05:03 PM   #38
special-K
Special Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68Timber View Post
We all hate cheap inferior parts, but I don't see how this is Rock Auto's fault. If AC Delco is putting junk in their boxes I would be calling them.
He didn't buy them from AC Delco, he bought them from Rock Auto who obviously doesn't stand behind what they sell...just pass the buck. I don't know how that would not bother anyone. I for one have not been conditioned into accepting big business BS and hate to think you or nyone ellse has. I am absolutely positive that is a bunch of bull crap. AC Delco is a manufacturer, not a reseller middle man, and the line about if they tested it to be of equal quality is the biggest lie yet. You can't see that's obvious? Right here we have proof from a fellow member, the whole reason this order was made in the first place. We need to stand up to the BS, not roll over and ask foor more...sheesh!

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 05:09 PM   #39
special-K
Special Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by sircrunch View Post
I know I know I'm not perfect myself

But This is the 2nd time it happened to me. Once I ordered a left and right ball joint for my Dodge shadow. They came in identical boxes but the parts were different. Obviously different, in color, shape, feel, and even one had a grease fitting and one didn't. This isn't an isolated incident. Rock auto is making a habit of this.
This is two issues in one order. That's enough for me. I use local business anyway. You do enough business to be a regular customer and you get a discount on parts you can inspect before paying and return without question. I'll buy 5 items with 2 to be ordered in. They'll not only order in with my payment, they let me walk out with the other 3 and pay when my full order is completed. I don't have a credit account. Local business is and always will be the best in the long run...if you onliners don't kill them before you see the light. Oh, and I wait hours to one day for my parts, not a week. But most times am installing them within the hour. They also deliver!

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 05:20 PM   #40
gmachinz
Account Suspended

Read this:

http://www.gminsidenews.com/forums/f...1506?_k=qjgisg
Old 08-13-2016, 06:02 PM   #41
68Timber
I know the pieces fit

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
He didn't buy them from AC Delco, he bought them from Rock Auto who obviously doesn't stand behind what they sell...just pass the buck. I don't know how that would not bother anyone. I for one have not been conditioned into accepting big business BS and hate to think you or nyone ellse has. I am absolutely positive that is a bunch of bull crap. AC Delco is a manufacturer, not a reseller middle man, and the line about if they tested it to be of equal quality is the biggest lie yet. You can't see that's obvious? Right here we have proof from a fellow member, the whole reason this order was made in the first place. We need to stand up to the BS, not roll over and ask foor more...sheesh!
Tim, I did stand up to this. I don't know, maybe you missed my other posts in this thread. I contacted ACDelco about it since I hold them accountable for what's in their boxes. Apparently ACDelco is a reseller now.

Their reply:

Dear X:

Thank you for visiting the ACDelco website.

Please be advised that ACDelco is committed to providing the quality products that people have come to know and trust. Yes, some of our parts are made overseas, but the manufacturers have strict engineering specifications and guidelines that they must follow in order for the parts to pass the ACDelco standard of quality.

If you can provide specific part names or catalog part numbers, we will be happy to assist you in finding where the parts are manufactured.

For future inquiries, you can also contact our experts at the ACDelco support center by dialing 1-800-ACDELCO (223-3526).

We appreciate your business.

Regards,

That's BS to me and I let them know but tried to make my point more politely than that. My reply:

I understand this is becoming common, but if your business model is based on a perceived higher quality that you charge the customer a premium for, you can't box up cheaper parts and sell them. Not for long anyway. I will not buy your parts online as long as you continue this practice. And I'll only
buy them in person if I can open the box and verify I'm getting ACDelco
parts. I don't think you have a very good read on your customers. When you pay a premium for a part, it's because you want something better than common or average parts. Dorman sells Sunsong, it's considered a house brand.

Now I know that email will be read by someone working in a call center making minimum wage who doesn't give a rip and will delete it. But I will do what I told them and I won't buy their parts unless I can verify what's in the box first. It bugs me but all I can do is let them know what I think about it
and vote with my dollars. That and let friends know about it.

79 2wd Blazer (Bruiser)
74 Honda Z50 build
Old 08-13-2016, 06:18 PM   #42
gmachinz
Account Suspended

That's why I search for NOS aftermarket stuff too.....like anything before 1998 is a pretty safe bet it's neither China nor Taiwan. Window switches is a good example here....HELP section sells Taiwan switches for LH for about $16-18....the GM "AC Delco" ones are nearly 3X that and are also from Taiwan....hmmm.....
Old 08-14-2016, 10:04 AM   #43
AnotherWs6

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmachinz View Post
Makes perfect sense and explains what we are all talking about. I guess if you want REAL GM parts you have to go to a dealer.
2010 Cadillac CTS Wagon Sport - Wife's DD and the only classy car we have.
AnotherWs6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 10:11 AM   #44
friscobob

I stopped by my local dealer just last week and was told his parts list, computerized of course, didn't go back that far, it stop at 1990. For me, if the Samsongs start to fail, I'll go steel braided hose.
Bob
Old 08-14-2016, 01:57 PM   #45
68Timber
I know the pieces fit

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherWs6 View Post
Makes perfect sense and explains what we are all talking about. I guess if you want REAL GM parts you have to go to a dealer.
Yes it does and thanks for bumping that post and link.

79 2wd Blazer (Bruiser)
74 Honda Z50 build
Old 08-16-2016, 09:35 AM   #46
MalibuSSwagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherWs6 View Post
I love rockauto because they have so many parts and offer multiple options for each thing that I need so I can choose the manufacturer. So I enter my vehicle information, navigate to my desired part, see the list of options available and then start copying and pasting into Amazon who usually has the same parts at the same price shipped free in two days. Modern world, I'm not paying their stupid shipping prices. Besides, if I decide I want to return the part for whatever reason it's a piece of cake to online at Amazon
Same here, if I need something quick but in dire need I order from Amazon. Prime membership is worth the $99 charge a year.

A word of warning about Oreilly's and warranties. Save your receipts! I had purchased brake calipers from them 2 years ago for my girlfriend's car. We went to exchange one this weekend and it was a debacle because we didn't have the paper receipt. Figured it wouldn't be an issue seeing as this is 2016 and all, I do have an account and they record all my purchases down to the insignificant like PB blaster. Guy couldn't find a $300 purchase in the system, was being unhelpful etc. Really pissed me off. Went back the next day and worked with the manager, he found my purchase in their old green screen system. He also told me that cash purchases are not tracked, and old invoices can randomly drop off the system after 90 days. Plus the "Limited Lifetime Warranty" only cover one exchange for a manufacturers defect, after that you are on your own. Really disappointed in them, only reason I bought everything there is with shipping it was about a wash to buy all the heavy brake parts locally, plus the warranty is there, or so I thought.
MalibuSSwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 12:43 PM   #47
gmachinz
Account Suspended

And it's no coincidence they give out receipts on thermal paper too.
Old 08-23-2016, 10:50 AM   #48
71meangreenc10
Its a Truck Thing......

So yes,

My BAW Chinese part in a AC Delco box is genuine.......Nice, response below from GM fraud department. I sent them pics of the part. So, I don't blame RockAuto on this at all.....

"Thank you for your patience. Our product specialists have reviewed the information you provided. Based on the images of the part and packaging you shared with us, all the information suggests the part is genuine.

Thank you, and best regards".
71 C30 Wrecker
Old 08-23-2016, 01:14 PM   #49
MalibuSSwagon

Bummer. I usually buy Centric brake parts when possible, US company that, by all accounts, produces their parts in the USA. Very good quality and reasonable prices. Bought several of their master cylinders, hoses, pads, rotors, calipers; happy with all of them.
MalibuSSwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 02:01 PM   #50
friscobob

Centric doesn't sell direct to consumer, I don't recognize any of the outlets they mention , who did you buy from and how do you rate the dealer?