The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > The 1973 - 1991 Blazers, Jimmys, and Suburbans Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-16-2015, 03:45 PM   #1
EyeOfTheHawk

75 K5 Exterior chrome trim installation

Hey guys!

I just joined up, after purchasing a 1975 Blazer K5 recently. I used a simlar forum when I was working on my El Camino and I got a ton of help. I can see that this is a similar community. Thanks in advance!

So the previous owner was getting ready to do final body work and send it to paint, so he had taken all the badges and trim off the outside. But it all came with the truck. I am not quite ready to do body/paint work yet, my priorities are a little different.

So my question is, how do I put this stuff back on? I can see it has tabs to insert in the mounting holes, but how do I actually attach it?

Thanks again guys and hopefully I will be hanging around for a while!
EyeOfTheHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 08:52 PM   #2
68Timber
I know the pieces fit

Re: 75 K5 Exterior chrome trim installation

Hey, welcome to the site and sorry for the late reply. Honestly I've wondered how the clips work myself, my current trucks don't have the trim. But if someone doesn't chime in here, someone in the Paint & Bodywork section will know for sure. Post a pic of your truck!

79 2wd Blazer (Bruiser)
85 M1009 Blazer (Sarge) build
74 Honda Z50 build
68Timber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 09:47 PM   #3
EyeOfTheHawk

Thanks for the reply! I will head over to the body section, thanks for the heads up.

And heres the pics! I feel like I got a good deal. It runs and drives great. Of course some rust on the floors, but its less than I had on my El Camino. Pretty clean overall, just needs tires right now.
Attached Images

EyeOfTheHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 07:12 PM   #4
gclark1

It really is not that bad if you have the clips and fasteners required to do the job. You might check with LMC - they may have some pictures or maybe could even sell you a complete fastener kit without having to sell you new trim.

Front fenders (top) - all bolt through the fender. Clips with a "bolt" slides in the trim and then a nut goes on the back side. Lower piece is a sheet metal screw next to the door and a bolt/nut that slides in the back of the trim right by the wheel well opening.

Doors - sheet metal screw near the fender and a bolt/nut at the back of the door. Two sided tape in between each.

Quarters - push in fastener in front, then another in front of the taillight just before the bend, with a sheet metal screw directly beside the tailgate. two sided tape everywhere else.

Tailgate - sheet metal screw on each end and two sided tape in the middle.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you need a particular picture.
Attached Images

gclark1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 10:59 PM   #5
UKNOWME

Try this thread and see if it helps
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=549872
1964 Chevy c10
2017 Jeep Wrangler JKU
UKNOWME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 12:53 AM   #6
UKNOWME

Quote:
Originally Posted by gclark1 View Post
It really is not that bad if you have the clips and fasteners required to do the job. You might check with LMC - they may have some pictures or maybe could even sell you a complete fastener kit without having to sell you new trim.

Front fenders (top) - all bolt through the fender. Clips with a "bolt" slides in the trim and then a nut goes on the back side. Lower piece is a sheet metal screw next to the door and a bolt/nut that slides in the back of the trim right by the wheel well opening.

Doors - sheet metal screw near the fender and a bolt/nut at the back of the door. Two sided tape in between each.

Quarters - push in fastener in front, then another in front of the taillight just before the bend, with a sheet metal screw directly beside the tailgate. two sided tape everywhere else.

Tailgate - sheet metal screw on each end and two sided tape in the middle.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you need a particular picture.
If adding it to a vehicle without the holes drilled do you think one could just double side tape all of it?
1964 Chevy c10
2017 Jeep Wrangler JKU
Old 02-28-2015, 06:49 PM   #7
gclark1

I wish it were that easy. I would say absolutely not. The curves are quite tricky even with a bolt/nut. Further, that tape that is provided with a new set of trim is not all that sticky. I would recommend using all of the bolts/nuts/fasteners that are provided in the kit. It will make the install last much longer. Just my opinion...
gclark1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 01:06 PM   #8
UKNOWME

Quote:
Originally Posted by gclark1 View Post
I wish it were that easy. I would say absolutely not. The curves are quite tricky even with a bolt/nut. Further, that tape that is provided with a new set of trim is not all that sticky. I would recommend using all of the bolts/nuts/fasteners that are provided in the kit. It will make the install last much longer. Just my opinion...
Ok thanks
1964 Chevy c10
2017 Jeep Wrangler JKU