The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-01-2004, 03:26 AM   #1
Ltcrazyx

Question about 48 & 49 Chevy Trucks.

I currently have a 48 Chevy Thriftmaster with a very bad body. I found possibly another Thriftmaster but it's a 49. I want to start working on the frame of my 48 right now and get it all prepared and such. The reason I can't just use the 49 is because I won't be able to get the truck till more then likely october. What I was wondering witch I already more then likely know is can I use the body off the 49 on the 48. Now the main diffrence I have noticed is that the 48 has the gas tank underneath the truck where the 49 has it behind the seat. I would like to keep it under the frame so what I was wondering would a 48 frame work with the 49 body parts. Also I was wondering if people had links of trucks being built for these two trucks. I was also thinking bout as I said before making the tank stay underneath the truck can I just fill the whole where the tank is or is the cabs that much diffrent?
Ltcrazyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2004, 08:43 PM   #2
Marty Gable
Still working on the COE

Your 49 cab will fit on the chassis up to early 55 the exception of the rule is that in 47 and 48 there were 3 mounting points for the chassis (as far as the cab goes) 2 bolts lt and rt toe boards and one mounting point in the middle straight down from the back window (underside) where as in 49 had 4 mounting points lt and rt toe board along with lt and right back cab. With this in mind you may have to drill 4 holes 2 per side for the rear cab mounts. One step farther would be to keep the inner cab plates behind the seat to reweld in place where the fuel tank sits only 47 and 48 had these plates. Sometimes its easier to show then to explain, hopefully some of the info helps.... i've been working with these trucks for over 20 years now and own 4 currently.

Best of luck
Marty
Marty Gable is offline   Reply With Quote