The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-12-2017, 04:45 AM   #1
ShortCST

Who's Right, Brother's or Eibach? Rear Drop Coil Springs

I went from Brother's 2" drop rear coil springs, at 33.5" from the top of the fender well to the ground, to Eibach 3" drop rear coil springs, at 31.375" from the top of the fender well to the ground.

2.125" difference in what should be 1.0" advertised height difference.

I've had Eibach coil springs before on a passenger car, which were advertised as dropping the vehicle only 5/8" of an inch, but dropped the car over an inch.

I've ordered a pair of Belltech 35323 1" polyurethane upper coil spacers to make up the inch, but I just wanted some input for confirmation, because my 2" front Hotchkis/3" rear Eibach coils sure look like a 2"/4" drop to me.

I spoke with the R&D guys at Eibach, who were friendly enough, but they said that in developing their springs, they only brought in one truck for the development.
Attached Images

Last edited by ShortCST; 08-12-2017 at 11:23 AM. Reason: Edited To Add Photo
ShortCST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 06:18 AM   #2
special-K
Special Order

Re: Who's Right, Brother's or Eibach? Rear Drop Coil Springs

I can see how coiling steel rod into springs of a specific height at a certain rate of resistance could be less than a perfect science. I see the numbers as general and within an inch as an accepted variance. I imagine they have a way to test the rate and match springs in pairs, but just my hunch. Heck, for years people have been calling 2 1/2" drop spindles with 2" drop coils a 4" drop when the numbers add up to 4 1/2". I've used drop springs on 2wds and lift springs on 4wds and just assumed it did what they said, never have measured.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 08:37 AM   #3
Mr Handy

I did 2.5" spindles and 1" springs up front on my truck along with 4" (5" on long bed) and the the bed drop was right at 4.5" and the front dropped so low the tires were rubbing the fenders.I ordered everything from ECE and gave them a call and the measurements they asked for and said i dropped an extra" inches in the front, they sent me stock height springs and the truck sits nice now for about 3 years.

All I can say is when it comes to suspension, do business with a good reputation for customer service.
Mr Handy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 09:31 AM   #4
electonebattery

I purchased a set of Brothers 2'' drop rear springs after being installed there was no difference in my trucks stance than the stock springs.
electonebattery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 11:24 AM   #5
ShortCST

Edited to add photo
Old 08-12-2017, 03:04 PM   #6
OARNGESI

Who cares who's right it looks perfect as is. Leave this nice level with a mild drop if fits the truck perfect in that pic remember it's a balancing act you can lower the front of your truck 1 in and raise the back .5
OARNGESI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 09:40 PM   #7
hewittca

Quote:
Originally Posted by OARNGESI View Post
Who cares who's right it looks perfect as is. Leave this nice level with a mild drop if fits the truck perfect in that pic remember it's a balancing act you can lower the front of your truck 1 in and raise the back .5
I concur. The stance looks spot on with those new springs, whatever drop they are. I searched and searched for stock fender to ground measurements on a plain old C10 and could not find a consistent answer. If we had those, then we could put this to rest and see what each drop really is.
-
C10 Concept/Development Photos: Master Thread
hewittca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 10:57 PM   #8
saxart

I'm not certain, but I think springs are designed with some sag in them.

When I lifted my Jeep Wrangler with a set of 2.5" coil springs a few years back, they sagged nearly 1" from the freshly lifted height within about 2 months. When I called the manufacturer to inquire about this, the first thing they asked is how much higher the Jeep was sitting from it's factory stock springs that I replaced. When I said, 2.5" the guy on the other end of the phone said, "Do you have any other questions?"

Anyway, have you given either of these springs a chance to settle in?
Old 08-13-2017, 03:44 AM   #9
ShortCST

Quote:
Originally Posted by saxart View Post
I'm not certain, but I think springs are designed with some sag in them.

When I lifted my Jeep Wrangler with a set of 2.5" coil springs a few years back, they sagged nearly 1" from the freshly lifted height within about 2 months. When I called the manufacturer to inquire about this, the first thing they asked is how much higher the Jeep was sitting from it's factory stock springs that I replaced. When I said, 2.5" the guy on the other end of the phone said, "Do you have any other questions?"

Anyway, have you given either of these springs a chance to settle in?
I've had them on the truck for less than a week. They're high quality springs I believe, so I don't expect them to settle too much. Considering how low the back end is already with the 3" springs, I hope they don't settle.