The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-22-2011, 03:39 PM   #476
Kabwe
Certified Car Nut

Re: Kabwe's aka Bam's build

Quote:
Originally Posted by VDOG View Post
Thats why my engine never runs, dang gremlins are always under the hood. LOL

You know an old man has to cause trouble once a month.
LOL. As you can see I took it seriously when someone told me to get into your work.lol
Kabwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 06:41 PM   #477
apache200

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabwe View Post
Rounded front and rear bed corners

Mini tubs

Shaved door hands and bearclaws latches installed in reverse because I want the solenoid in the cab corner instead of at the bottom of the door.

what did you use to make the rounded part on the bedsides? this is a very cool mod.
apache200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 06:48 PM   #478
chevyrestoguy

Quote:
It was really nice hanging with you and Terrill Owens (Chevyrestroguy).lol But I know I will be a spectator next year, but I hope you and Chevyrestroguy are participants.
Terrill Owens.........as a 49ers fan, that one hurt! I have been very busy on truck-related stuff and I have witnesses to prove it! I won't be bringing my '55 to the next Brothers, but I will be driving the '64. I have been working on it every weekend, and right now, I'm stripping down the donor truck (1979 Suburban) and I'm probably a week away from doing the suspension swap-over. So far, it's been a really fun project for me. Low buck but clean, using lots of my stashed parts, and other parts donated from buddies. I really need a truck around the house, and this one will fit the bill perfectly.

My build threads:
'55 Chevy: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=247512

'64 C-20: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=446527
chevyrestoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 06:55 PM   #479
Kabwe
Certified Car Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by apache200 View Post
what did you use to make the rounded part on the bedsides? this is a very cool mod.
Its really easy to answer this question because someone asked me to do a how to on another forum so I can just copy and paste it here. I've seen this mod done many ways but this is how I did it I don't like getting into debates of what is better and all that crap so for those who done it differently more power to you. This is all my feeble mind could come up with.

Sorry but I had to go there because I've seen people trying to start debates that think only one way to do things. The cool thing about this stuff is get 10 of us in a room and at least 5 of us will do things differently. I find that cool, some people do not.lol IMO there is no right and wrong with metal working just the end results. I'm still working on those end results.Thank god metal is forgiving or I'd be in trouble.lol

1. I bought a 16 gauge 1 /58 u-bend exhaust pipe from jegs. One pipe will do
both rear corners. Just cut them in half to make them j-bends.lol

2. I used the pipe to see what material on the bed needed to be removed.
3. I cut the pipe in half and played with the fitment of the pipe until I achieved
the desired fit and I tacked it in place.

4. I used a piece of cardboard to make a template of the filler piece and
transferred that to 16 gauge sheetmetal and welded it in.

5. Grind the welds and its done

Last edited by Kabwe; 09-22-2011 at 07:49 PM.
Old 09-22-2011, 06:59 PM   #480
Kabwe
Certified Car Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevyrestoguy View Post
Terrill Owens.........as a 49ers fan, that one hurt! I have been very busy on truck-related stuff and I have witnesses to prove it! I won't be bringing my '55 to the next Brothers, but I will be driving the '64. I have been working on it every weekend, and right now, I'm stripping down the donor truck (1979 Suburban) and I'm probably a week away from doing the suspension swap-over. So far, it's been a really fun project for me. Low buck but clean, using lots of my stashed parts, and other parts donated from buddies. I really need a truck around the house, and this one will fit the bill perfectly.
LOL. Did not mean to cause you pain, just wanted to imply that you have left us to post in the 60's forum and you are a traitor to us 47-59 guys so I say you must walk the plank.lol

Man that's really cool that you will have the 64 ready for the next brothers show. I really had a great time hanging with you and Brad at the last one. I hope to see you guys there again.
Old 09-22-2011, 07:32 PM   #481
OrrieG

Quote:
Originally Posted by VDOG View Post
Thats why my engine never runs, dang gremlins are always under the hood. LOL

You know an old man has to cause trouble once a month.
Why do I have the urge to pop a paper bag when I see that photo??
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 07:36 PM   #482
hotrod1
56 - autocross

Bam: Thanks for the demo. Nice!
hotrod1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 07:36 PM   #483
apache200

Thanks for the info Kabwe! I cant wait to see some primer on your truck. keep the pics coming.
apache200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 07:41 PM   #484
Kabwe
Certified Car Nut

You guys are welcome I love to share the little I know, so if I can be of help just ask that's why we are here to learn and share information.

apache200,

You can't wait.lol Man I want this thing in primer so bad its ridiculous. I have the cab pretty much in primer. I'm doing my best to get it done, but lately people have been asking me to help with their projects which is putting mine on hold.

Last edited by Kabwe; 09-22-2011 at 07:59 PM.
Old 09-22-2011, 07:42 PM   #485
Kabwe
Certified Car Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrrieG View Post
Why do I have the urge to pop a paper bag when I see that photo??
It took a while but I just got it.lol I never said I was quick.lol
Old 09-22-2011, 08:55 PM   #486
chevyrestoguy

Quote:
I really had a great time hanging with you and Brad at the last one. I hope to see you guys there again.
I agree 100%. We live close enough that we shouldn't make it a yearly event to hang out. Maybe we could go to an upcoming Pomona Swap Meet, where you can watch the Zen Master (that's me) using my Jedi Mind Tricks on poor unsuspecting parts sellers to get the best price.
Alex

My build threads:

Old 09-22-2011, 10:42 PM   #487
candyx

Nice fab work on the bed corners,all the little changes is going to set your truck off from the rest.And yes the new photos are great but......if you would post videos it would diffidently be more helpful to the rest of us to learn your fab skills.There's nothing better then to be sitting on the couch with a beer watching someone else working,lol.
candyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 11:25 PM   #488
Kabwe
Certified Car Nut

Quote:
I agree 100%. We live close enough that we shouldn't make it a yearly event to hang out. Maybe we could go to an upcoming Pomona Swap Meet, where you can watch the Zen Master (that's me) using my Jedi Mind Tricks on poor unsuspecting parts sellers to get the best price.
Alex
Yeah we should do that. I need to learn that zen master stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by candyx View Post
Nice fab work on the bed corners,all the little changes is going to set your truck off from the rest.And yes the new photos are great but......if you would post videos it would diffidently be more helpful to the rest of us to learn your fab skills.There's nothing better then to be sitting on the couch with a beer watching someone else working,lol.
See how you are? There is just no pleasing some people. Give people what they want when they want it and they want sh*t all the time.lol
Old 09-23-2011, 08:37 AM   #489
xpickup

Kabwe, Great job on the bed corners. It is fun to think of how much new metal that is in your truck from all the body improvements. A little here a little there and next thing you know you only have 50% of your original sheet metal. I love body mods. It sets everybodies trucks apart and personalizes each one.Keep up the great work.

Shannon
xpickup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 11:17 AM   #490
1959 Apache 3600

My absolute favorite build thread. Amazing skills, great explanations of your methods to us wet behind the ears newbies. Terrific pictures to match.
Outstanding...

Thank You Bam!
1959 Apache 3600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 12:00 PM   #491
Kabwe
Certified Car Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by xpickup View Post
Kabwe, Great job on the bed corners. It is fun to think of how much new metal that is in your truck from all the body improvements. A little here a little there and next thing you know you only have 50% of your original sheet metal. I love body mods. It sets everybodies trucks apart and personalizes each one.Keep up the great work.

Shannon
Thank you very much my friend. How are things with you? You do some amazing work yourself I love looking at your build threads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1959 Apache 3600 View Post
My absolute favorite build thread. Amazing skills, great explanations of your methods to us wet behind the ears newbies. Terrific pictures to match.
Outstanding...

Thank You Bam!
Damn man you've just made my day. Not about the favorite build stuff because there are some pretty amazing builds and extremely talented people on this site. But what you said about explanations and methods. I've really tried to answer all questions and help as much as I can, so it feels great that you found this build helpful.
Old 09-23-2011, 10:53 PM   #492
Rods57

You know all trouble maker aside it is really good with the numbers and steps and photos, its like the Bam book on how to fab your bed corners...nice instructions. Have you ever used a shrinking disc? i got one and am going to test it out this weekend...I will let you know how it goes.
Rods57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 10:57 PM   #493
Kabwe
Certified Car Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rods57 View Post
Have you ever used a shrinking disc? i got one and am going to test it out this weekend...I will let you know how it goes.
Yes, its a great tool. I bought a grinder just for the shrinking disc so I can just grab it and use it.
Old 09-23-2011, 11:06 PM   #494
Rods57

Good to know, I saw them on a video and it looked like a great tool. and it was cheap too.
Old 09-23-2011, 11:17 PM   #495
Dan in Pasadena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabwe View Post
Its really easy to answer this question because someone asked me to do a how to on another forum so I can just copy and paste it here. I've seen this mod done many ways but this is how I did it I don't like getting into debates of what is better and all that crap so for those who done it differently more power to you. This is all my feeble mind could come up with.

Sorry but I had to go there because I've seen people trying to start debates that think only one way to do things. The cool thing about this stuff is get 10 of us in a room and at least 5 of us will do things differently. I find that cool, some people do not.lol IMO there is no right and wrong with metal working just the end results. I'm still working on those end results.Thank god metal is forgiving or I'd be in trouble.lol

1. I bought a 16 gauge 1 /58 u-bend exhaust pipe from jegs. One pipe will do
both rear corners. Just cut them in half to make them j-bends.lol

2. I used the pipe to see what material on the bed needed to be removed.
3. I cut the pipe in half and played with the fitment of the pipe until I achieved
the desired fit and I tacked it in place.

4. I used a piece of cardboard to make a template of the filler piece and
transferred that to 16 gauge sheetmetal and welded it in.

5. Grind the welds and its done

You know how you can tell when someone is a friggin TALENTED, damn near genius? Well, at least at some things,

When they can come up with a way to do a complex job relatively cheaply, make it look incredibly simple (when its definitely not) and it makes you say, "Why didn't I think of that?!"
Dan in Pasadena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 11:18 PM   #496
Rods57

So you are a real party animal just like me i see, friday night hanging out on the computer....jump back, we are wild....
Old 09-23-2011, 11:42 PM   #497
Tri5Nerd
Tripple Five Fanatic

I want to know when are you going to stop this small talk and show us some more pictures? Get back to work!

Tri5
Old 09-24-2011, 11:37 AM   #498
Kabwe
Certified Car Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tri5Nerd View Post
I want to know when are you going to stop this small talk and show us some more pictures? Get back to work!

Tri5
That would be when you start updating your own thread, you have not done so in quite a while.
Old 09-24-2011, 11:44 AM   #499
chevyrestoguy

^^^^I'm staying out of this one........

My build threads:

Old 09-24-2011, 12:22 PM   #500
Kabwe
Certified Car Nut

Quote:
^^^^I'm staying out of this one........
What! The great Terrell Owens is staying out of it. I thought you always had something to say.lol I guess you are not like the real Terrell Owens after all or is it that I'm not your quarterback.lol

Tri5nerd, Vdog, and Bajabob are all really nice guys that like to start trouble with me, but in a good way. We are only joking so ignore the sarcasm.

Last edited by Kabwe; 09-24-2011 at 02:00 PM.