The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-13-2013, 06:31 PM   #1
AirSpeed

Need a smoother ride in my 72 GMC 4X4

I have a 72 short 4X4 with a "rough country" 4" lift. It has new leafs in front and blocks in the rear. It's a little bouncy going down the road and is certainly a "rough" ride (that must be the rough in "rough country") will replacing the shocks do anything the smooth out the ride? It's a fairly new lift kit & shocks, I would guess less than 5000 miles. I rarely if ever take it off road, it's my daily driver and stays on the street most of the time. Can anyone recommend shocks that will ride better than what I have? Or am I going to have to replace the lift springs and blocks with a better kit?
Posted via Mobile Device
AirSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 07:10 PM   #2
71K20chevy

Re: Need a smoother ride in my 72 GMC 4X4

I wonder if maybe the springs soften a little bit as you add mileage? I have a 4" RC lift on mine too, and it really doesn't ride that bad...
Old 02-13-2013, 07:34 PM   #3
AirSpeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71K20chevy View Post
I wonder if maybe the springs soften a little bit as you add mileage? I have a 4" RC lift on mine too, and it really doesn't ride that bad...
Mine does, it beats the crap out of my back, maybe it's just me cause I have lots of back problems but others who have ridden with me seem to think its pretty rough as well. I'm hoping new shocks will help but have no clue what to look for in a better shock. Thanks!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-05-2013, 05:12 PM   #4
72shorbox

First off these trucks when lifted tend to ride a little choppy. How stiff are the RC springs? I have Rancho springs in mine and it rides good. You never said what shocks you currently are running. Some of the shocks that are packaged with lift kits are not very good shocks. Gas charged or oil. I use to distribute various brands of lifts and some of them are just junk. Probably one of the best shocks you could put on your truck would be the Bilstein 5100's. Are the shocks on your truck long enough to compensate for the lift? if the shocks don't have adaquate travel and they are topping out that would wreck the ride. Some of the shocks that are packaged with lift kits are not very good shocks. Gas charged or oil filled shocks?
These trucks came with a spring stop on the bottom of the frame at the rear of the LH spring. You could check and make sure your spring is not contacting the stop when the spring is compressing(hitting a bump or pothole). If it is limiting the spring travel this could make the ride worse.
How much air pressure are you running in your tires? This will also effect the ride.
Radial or Bias ply tires.
72shorbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 07:53 PM   #5
AirSpeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72shorbox View Post
First off these trucks when lifted tend to ride a little choppy. How stiff are the RC springs? I have Rancho springs in mine and it rides good. You never said what shocks you currently are running. Some of the shocks that are packaged with lift kits are not very good shocks. Gas charged or oil. I use to distribute various brands of lifts and some of them are just junk. Probably one of the best shocks you could put on your truck would be the Bilstein 5100's. Are the shocks on your truck long enough to compensate for the lift? if the shocks don't have adaquate travel and they are topping out that would wreck the ride. Some of the shocks that are packaged with lift kits are not very good shocks. Gas charged or oil filled shocks?
These trucks came with a spring stop on the bottom of the frame at the rear of the LH spring. You could check and make sure your spring is not contacting the stop when the spring is compressing(hitting a bump or pothole). If it is limiting the spring travel this could make the ride worse.
How much air pressure are you running in your tires? This will also effect the ride.
Radial or Bias ply tires.

The shocks I was told came with the lift so they are long enough, I can't tell what type of shocks they are but they are labeled Rough Country and in sure they're junk. My rear has blocks on the original leafs and the stop is clear. Radial 33" radial tires, I've tried air several pressure levels, the lower pressure improves the ride but ruins handling. I'm really wanting to get a new lift and get rid of the blocks in the rear, it's going to happen soon.
Thanks for the info!
Posted via Mobile Device