The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-06-2018, 07:21 AM   #1
rickit

looking for better steering

and handleing,it seems to dart to the right easy giving some thought to a complete front end change like coil over and maybe a rack,any negative issues with these coil over replacements?
rickit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 11:52 AM   #2
Bluestep

Re: looking for better steering

There are no negative issues with the suspension and steering originally. You do not need to attempt to reengineer your pickup. What you need is to find out what is worn, loose, or broken. Repair what is there and get it realigned. The problem that you are having is not an inherent defect, it is just wear and tear and or possibly poor repair work. Although these pickups may not handle like a new Camaro or ride like a Cadillac they should drive without erratic movements or dangerous handling characteristics.
Do not forget to inspect the rear suspension as well. Movements of the rear axle can cause really erratic handling.
Bluestep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 02:41 PM   #3
Dead Parrot

2nd the get what you have in good repair before looking to add newer tech. After I had mine fixed, drove pretty much like a new one. Amazing how much worn bushings, shot tie rod ends, and broken sway bar brackets can degrade handling.

Don't overlook slop in the steering column and misbehaving brakes.

Even if you decide to go with the coil over, I would have yours given a good inspection before you start so you know what needs replacing that isn't included with the replacement kit.
Dead Parrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 03:52 PM   #4
WyattTX

2wd drive trucks with the factory setup, and power steering drive beautifully, and almost as good, If not better than some modern cars. Unless your front end is totally wore out, and sloppy, I would say you are being a little too picky.
WyattTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 05:19 PM   #5
rickit

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyattTX View Post
2wd drive trucks with the factory setup, and power steering drive beautifully, and almost as good, If not better than some modern cars. Unless your front end is totally wore out, and sloppy, I would say you are being a little too picky.
not picky, I have new spindles and ball joints and springs and just replaced steering column that broke internally and replaced with a flaming river had it aligned after that they never said anything to me about tierod ends or bushings being bad, and I had new brake system installed,it drives fine until u steer right and it darts fast left isn't as bad
Old 09-10-2018, 07:27 PM   #6
hatzie

Spindle replacement usually means you have dropped the ride height. Lowered vehicles tend to follow ruts in the asphalt much more than at the factory ride height because a regular alignment doesn't compensate for the changes.

It's likely the control arm bushings and probably some of the steering joints are around 40 years old. Slight problems with bushings and steering joints that wouldn't cause issues at stock ride heights will be exaggerated by the geometry changes from lowering. Even 1" change in ride height causes serious geometry changes.
1972 Ford F250 FE390, NP435/NP205 SOLD
1976 Chevy K20, 6.5L, NV4500/NP208 SOLD
1986 M1008 CUCV SOLD
2000 GMC C2500, TD6.5L, NV4500
2005 Chevy Silverado LS 2500HD 6.0L 4L80E/NP263
2009 Impala SS LS4 V8

RTFM... GM Parts Books, GM Schematics, GM service manuals, and GM training materials...Please include at least the year and model in your threads. It'll be easier to answer your questions.
And please let us know if and how your repairs were successful.
hatzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 07:05 AM   #7
rickit

Quote:
Originally Posted by hatzie View Post
Spindle replacement usually means you have dropped the ride height. Lowered vehicles tend to follow ruts in the asphalt much more than at the factory ride height because a regular alignment doesn't compensate for the changes.

It's likely the control arm bushings and probably some of the steering joints are around 40 years old. Slight problems with bushings and steering joints that wouldn't cause issues at stock ride heights will be exaggerated by the geometry changes from lowering. Even 1" change in ride height causes serious geometry changes.
that makes sense I need to check the bushings its kinda dangerous the way it is now
Old 09-11-2018, 06:11 PM   #8
Ski-me

Might also check wear on steering box too. Just replaced mine and feels a lot better! (4WD and lifted, so I'm going the other direction than you).

89' K5 Blazer, 2.5" lift, 35" tires
04' GMC Yukon XL, 3/4 ton, 8.1L
Ski-me is offline   Reply With Quote