The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-19-2015, 07:32 PM   #1251
Titomars

Re: Restoring Rusty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregski View Post
Actually it always looks like glass when wet then it dries all blotchy, I will try to take another pic of the hood and show you once it completely dries. I do not know what causes this.

I was wondering if it dries different over shinny clean metal vs rusty sections, or paint covered sections, I don't know. Though I did check some parts that were same surface ie clean metal and it still dried shinny in one area and flat in the other.

I even called POR15 the company and told them about this issue, and they basically said sometimes it just does that.
Are you doing two coats Greg? I get the blotches with the first coat. the 2nd coat always comes out great. Also 2 coats give it the sprayed on look.
Old 03-19-2015, 08:37 PM   #1252
cnorth

as for the POR when I was buying mine on Summit there is a semi gloss and gloss could that be it
cnorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 11:51 PM   #1253
Gregski
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titomars View Post
Are you doing two coats Greg? I get the blotches with the first coat. the 2nd coat always comes out great. Also 2 coats give it the sprayed on look.
done, both, went two coats on my Mustang firewall and engine bay and it came out blotchy, went single coat on the truck oil pan it came out blotchy, the hood so far is only one coat and it is blotchy
Gregski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 11:52 PM   #1254
Gregski
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnorth View Post
as for the POR when I was buying mine on Summit there is a semi gloss and gloss could that be it
I used both before and talked to the POR15 support staff about this and both products do weird things, the gloss stuff is dull in places and the semi gloss shines in places, so far no rhyme or reason, though as with anything I do, the first thing I do is blame myself
Old 03-19-2015, 11:53 PM   #1255
Gregski
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zayzay View Post
Wanted to say that I have learned a lot from your thread and everyone's input. Wow, amazing work.
Thank you, yes the guys n gals on this forum are amazing very positive and supportive.
Old 03-20-2015, 08:29 AM   #1256
cnorth

Quote:
though as with anything I do, the first thing I do is blame myself

Ha that's funny, I get blamed for everything at work.
Old 03-20-2015, 04:54 PM   #1257
rusty76

Mind if I blame you? Just kidding.
My build thread
Crossmembers CC
rusty76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 10:16 PM   #1258
Gregski
Post Whore

after soaking the hinges in a large toperwear bin and some diluted muriatic acid with water for a couple days, I dried them off and washed them off with denatured alcohol, then rattle canned them flat black
Attached Images

Old 03-20-2015, 10:19 PM   #1259
Gregski
Post Whore

and the backside of the same hinge, the other one missed the photo shoot, lol

so, is there a man or woman on this forum that can work these off the truck, I mean move them open and close, I swear it is a Herculean effort
Attached Images

Old 03-20-2015, 10:21 PM   #1260
Chaplain

Dang...
Chaplain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 10:31 PM   #1261
Chrispbrown36

Every time I pull something off to work on the truck and start knocking the rust and grime off of it I think, "What would Gregski do?".....and then I give up after cleaning for a second or two...ha ha. I am impressed with your attention to detail.
Chrispbrown36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 12:04 AM   #1262
Motherfrog402

Greg, get your buckets mineral spirits and muriatic acid, load up Rusty, head up the I-5, over to I-80, up Hwy 93 and over to I-84....Rusty's cousin, Greasy, needs some love.

Great job on the hinges.

1974 C-20 Fleetside
White/Crimson Red
292/SM465
4.10:1 open

1976 AMC/Jeep CJ-5
Lime Green
258/T150
3.54:1 open

1972 C10 Suburban - SOLD
White/Medium Spruce Metallic/White
Avocado Highlander Pkg
402/TH400
3.08:1 open
Motherfrog402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 12:05 AM   #1263
Gregski
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrispbrown36 View Post
Every time I pull something off to work on the truck and start knocking the rust and grime off of it I think, "What would Gregski do?".....and then I give up after cleaning for a second or two...ha ha. I am impressed with your attention to detail.
Yup, years of trial and error and absolute failure, so my new motto is work smarter than harder. If you break things down into smaller projects then you will end up with a routine. Routine means repetition and a system. A routine can be refined and tuned.

Trust me I want instant results too, I am a lot of things but a patient man I am not. I also have a tough time focusing trust me, I want to do 7 things at once all the time, but I say Rusty teach me patience. LOL

In this case I took the hood off and said this will be it, I will not mess with anything else. Then I said ok, one hinge comes off cause I have to take the fender off anyway. Then I said shoot I can't do one hinge and leave his brother dirty and rusty, that's in human. In the end the only thing I did not remove was the hood latch hookie thingie in the front cause those bolt heads were not quite 1/2 inch type but some star looking thingies so I said enuff this stays on, LOL
Old 03-21-2015, 12:13 AM   #1264
Gregski
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motherfrog402 View Post
Greg, get your buckets mineral spirits and muriatic acid, load up Rusty, head up the I-5, over to I-80, up Hwy 93 and over to I-84....Rusty's cousin, Greasy, needs some love.

Great job on the hinges.
Thanks, where is that? dang Idaho?
Old 03-21-2015, 12:28 AM   #1265
Chrispbrown36

The problem I have is I will start on one thing and then while unbolting this or that I think well I might as well do this while I am here.....prioritizing......I fail at.
Chrispbrown36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 12:29 AM   #1266
Titomars

Quote:
Thanks, where is that? dang Idaho?
Hah!!! I am a lot closer. Just hop on the 80 south to 37 west then 101 north. Mine is neither rusty or greasy. But with your attention to detail, my truck and me would enjoy it immensely.
Old 03-21-2015, 12:40 AM   #1267
Gregski
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrispbrown36 View Post
The problem I have is I will start on one thing and then while unbolting this or that I think well I might as well do this while I am here.....prioritizing......I fail at.
See I don't have a problem with doing something again because I tell myself ok, so you replaced the intake manifold gasket once, whooptie do, you bolted it back up refering to the book cause you don't even know the torque sequence. Yes you also replaced the lifters cause you said well I already have the intake off anyways.

On the other hand I replace the intake gasket one month and put it all back together. Then six months later I go back in and now replace the lifters. Now I removed and put the intake back on twice. I pretend I am a mechanic and now I worked on two trucks that came in one for intake manifold gasket leak the other for a stuck lifter. So now I got twice the experience. I had to drop the dizzy in twice and the first time I missed it by a tooth the second time I got it right. The second time I knew how the throttle linkage went back on without refering to old pictures, and now I know the bolt sequence by heart.

It is a bit of a silly game I play with my mind, but you have to figure out a way to prioritize to trick yourself if you have to.
Old 03-21-2015, 02:45 AM   #1268
Chaplain

What's your mixture ratio on the muriatic acid bath?
Old 03-21-2015, 03:13 AM   #1269
Gregski
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaplain View Post
What's your mixture ratio on the muriatic acid bath?
first be very careful wear a respirator and eye protection and heavy rubber gloves

I use 100% if it will cover the entire piece, otherwise for bigger pieces I just use a garden hose and keep poring water in the container until the entire piece is submerged, it is not an exact science

I put a lid on what ever plastic container I am using, and I do it outside not indoors

at 100% I dip for a couple hours, when I add water it can be in there over night or for a couple days, take the metal out from time to time to check on it to see if it is done if all the rust is gone, maybe hose it off check it and put it back in
Old 03-21-2015, 09:04 AM   #1270
greg64

Greg, I like the results you're getting with the acid bath, but my question is what do you do to dispose of the leftover acid/water mix? That's the part about chemical treatments that I don't like. Great looking hinges!
greg64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 04:02 PM   #1271
cnorth

Quote:
wait what, he's making a sandwich, this fool has lost his mind, we don't need to see his eating habits...

Wait a minute, oh no he didn't!
I was hoping this would work for me since the bushing puller I had would not fit ended up finding a long bolt and hammered and twisted it into the bushing and slid my hammer slider on to it and yanked it out
Old 03-23-2015, 11:51 PM   #1272
Chaplain

Don't stop now.
Old 03-24-2015, 12:59 AM   #1273
Gregski
Post Whore

as if you need telling, the only thing worse than that Self Etching primer from Harbor Freight is their "Filler" primer and I use that term loosely, it covers horribly, well unless you are into painting tigers or zebras, or tigers chasing zebras, well you get the idea - stay away from it if possible

so I bondoed the rust holes (not proud of that) sanded it down and shot it with build / filler primer in hopes of block sanding the hood to get it ready for paint this weekend
Attached Images

Old 03-24-2015, 01:10 AM   #1274
Gregski
Post Whore

what else is going on in Camp Rusty?

well I fingered out why my truck ran real bad under acceleration although it idled perfectly after this most recent intake manifold gasket replacement, I swapped the #5 and #7 plug wires, thank you very much, so now it runs good

I still have that pesky rear wheel locking up on me although I replaced both rear wheel cylinders, so this weekend I think I am putting on new shoes and either turning the drums or putting on new ones

then I think I need to replace the square bearings in my power steering pump, and clean that area of the engine bay a little bit (ok a lot) so I can see what if anything leaks from there

and just went in the garage and checked on the oil leak from todays test drives and yup there's one, the size of my hand, nice, awesome, progress = zero

so The Greg is in a bit of a funk, nothing a glass of white wine can't cure, [ahem] I mean a cold one, a beer people, a beer
Old 03-24-2015, 06:56 AM   #1275
Chaplain

Ok