The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-12-2011, 03:34 PM   #1
El Campo

Ideas for Kill switch/anti-theft?

Anyone have any ideas for an anti theft switch? Something out of the ordinary? Since these trucks are super easy to hot wire and are quite valuable when we are finished would like to at least incorporate SOMETHING to possibly stop or slow down all but the most determined thieves. And I would like to retain factory dash mounted ignition switch if possible
Posted via Mobile Device
72 Chevy SWB: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=486626 (Attempt/Mistake #2)
2003 Harley Davidson Dyna Superglide with 2007 Street Bob front end
2000 Ford F350 Powerstroke 4WD CCLB, 310,000 miles running great (STOLEN St. Patricks Day 2014 AND NEVER RECOVERED)
2002 Ford F250 Powerstroke 4WD CCLB (To replace stolen one)
Hook em Horns!!!
El Campo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 03:41 PM   #2
TheSeeker

Re: Ideas for Kill switch/anti-theft?

Ive seen some pretty creative kill switches in cigarete lighters, under the dash mounted behind the AC controlls, etc. But the unfortunate thing is, if someone wants it, they will get it. And unless your truck is laying frame, a flatbed or a tow truck can silently roll it away at anytime. More theives these days are posing as tow drivers than ever before, at least in my area. Sad thing is no one around ever questions WHY the nice truck is being towed, they just see that it is..
TheSeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 03:42 PM   #3
mpotts64

When I bought the 68 lwb someone had wired it for anti-theft and boy did they ever. There were 6 wires coming off the hot side of the battery going to a series of toggle switches that went to the distributor, the starter, the heater, and a bunch of other junk, it was a combination of toggle switches to start that thing, until I went to boost it one day and burned out every wire under the hood and a good set of cables, that is when I rewired it completely, , wired it back all original, but it was sure a mess under that hood before. I agree with Seeker, with no locking steering column, throw it in neutral, turn the wheel and it is gone

When asked why I work on old trucks, I tell them: Been married 27 years, sons are pretty much gone, don't like the wife anymore and don't have a girlfriend, so, gotta do something, the old trucks are cheaper and less drama than a girlfriend -
mpotts64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 03:43 PM   #4
mgkgmc

I had a buddy convert his defrost switch to a kill switch on his dash. His truck is a rat so he never used it. I thought that was pretty smart but not for everyone.
mgkgmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 04:11 PM   #5
islandboy312

A second floor-mounted dimmer switch - not too close to the real one - works well. The switch is durable and out of sight.

Mine lights a small LED on the dash to let me know it's ready to run.
islandboy312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 04:17 PM   #6
70cst

Here are some previous threads on the "Kill Switch"
Kill Switch ...
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=146324

'cigar lighter' kill switch?
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=274669

Wiring a kill switch ...
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=240790

Kill switch wire ...
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=199288

Kill Switch and Security Links...Enjoy ...( This has six threads on Kill switches)
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=364184

67-72 Chevy and GMC Trucks...The Classic Truck for the Classic Folk.

1970 CST Two tone green, 402BB, 400 Automatic, Tach, Buckets, AC, AM-FM, Tilt, GM CB, GM 8 Tract, LWB, etc

JOHN 17:3...The better side of "LIFE"

Remember: Everyday is a good day...Some are just gooder!
70cst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 10:00 AM   #7
helldiablo

get a boot like the ones the cops use. and put it on your wheel. then you could park any where.. lol............. . all i have for anti theft is a sticker that reads... CAUTION THIS TRUCK IS PROTECTED BY PSYCO ON GLUE ..

my brother has a four speed in his and he pops the shifter out.

but really a kill switch is about the best your gonna get i dont think anything is really theft proof
Old 07-13-2011, 10:27 AM   #8
68 IRON

Heck, put 3-on-the-tree.....nobody knows how to drive those anymore!
68 IRON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 10:29 AM   #9
DT1

I have to agree. If they really want it, they will get it.
Years ago I was rummaging through the garage and found an old mercury switch and immediately got a brain storm. I attached it to the underside of my hood and connected it to my horn. I figured if someone opened the hood the horn would blast. It worked like a charm until I drove it on a freeway that had a grade that was steep enough to cause the switch to close. The guy in the car in front of me started flipping me off because my horn was going crazy and apparently he figured I was an impatient fool that wanted to get around him.
I pulled off the road and disconnected it.
DT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 11:21 AM   #10
ChevLoRay
Old Skool Club

Funny how stuff like that can backfire on you.

I used to work with an older man who didn't like the fact that high school kids would lean against his Buick. This was "back in the day", and he lived across the street from a high school. So, he "said" he rigged up a 110V system that would provide a jolt to anyone touching the car...when they became the path to ground. Seems to me, that such a system could kill a person...only takes 800ma to stop your heart....and that todays' court system would find you guilty of manslaughter...or worse. Or, you could be found Not Guilty....which doesn't mean you'd be innocent....just sayin'.

'96 GMC Sportside; 4.3/SLT - Daily driven....constantly needs washed.

'69 C-10 SWB; 350/TH400 - in limbo

The older I get, the better I was.
ChevLoRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 03:00 PM   #11
Gobbles

DT1 that is a great idea too bad it got you in trouble haha!

You know what might be an idea is to hook the horn to a small alternator on a component that moves in neutral with the motor off (ie. an axle), if it starts moving the horn blows. Use a switch to kill the connection when your going to be driving it. Second thought, more work than it is worth >.<

I like the horn idea, the "anti theft" doesn't need to stop them as long as you can find them!

"You already said spite"
Gobbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 04:00 PM   #12
96blazr

I have 3 "Deterrent's" on my truck.

First and Foremost: BATTERY DISCONNECT!! Not only will you save your battery, but possibly your truck. Who gives a Rat's A** if you have to raise and lower your hood all the time. At least it'll stop them from starting your truck.
2. Yes, a Kill-switch under the dash for an extra little bit of security. I hit the kill, get out, raise the hood, disconnect the battery and I feel 99.9% secure when I leave it outside (which hasn't happened in 5 years).
3. my little secret....but a hint: I can track it anyway, anytime.

But for serious peace of mind get a battery disconnect. If they really, really want it that bad then they'll take it no matter what you use, but I feel you've GOT to make them work for it.

Remember, no matter where you go,
There you are.

Gary
96blazr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 04:17 PM   #13
vin63
It's Better With Nitro

X2...many years of drag racing, I'm just used to the tech requirement of having a master cut off switch or battery disconnect on my hot rods. It can be pretty simple to just remove the lever - some of the switches these days have a removable key as the lever for a little more theft deterrent.
Tubular front and rear suspension
Custom 6-piston front disc and 4-piston rear disc brakes
vin63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 05:42 PM   #14
wwotr

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Campo View Post
Anyone have any ideas for an anti theft switch? Something out of the ordinary? Since these trucks are super easy to hot wire and are quite valuable when we are finished would like to at least incorporate SOMETHING to possibly stop or slow down all but the most determined thieves. And I would like to retain factory dash mounted ignition switch if possible
Posted via Mobile Device
I just happened to run into this on the Internet the other day, but the $465.00 cost, installing it was out of the question,
but the Theory Behind it is intruiging.

http://nohotwire.com/
back in November of 2011.
I don't visit the site much anymore,
but please feel free,
to drop me a private message.
RIP...."RATIKLE"
wwotr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 07:34 PM   #15
1968CHEVYC10

Another thought would be a switch that killed power to the distributor, so you could crank it but not start it. So a thief would prob just end up killing the battery, and making some noise while he's at it.
Old 07-13-2011, 08:06 PM   #16
MistaGavin

I know it's not a switch but these ideas would help people be a little more honest: "The Club"? Basically a locking bar to make your steering wheel impossible to turn more than about 1/4 turn. Of course there is the higher tech option of a removable wheel...Other than that a battery disconnect is good for the battery as well as a theft device.
Old 07-13-2011, 08:22 PM   #17
Daddy Brim

I have thought about putting a lock on the e-brake, and also turning the valve for my saddle tanks into a kill switch.

67 C-20 Custom Camper
68 Nova 396 it does wheelies
2005 Buick Century the one the wife drives
1989 Toyota Tercel to drive when I can't put gas in the first 2.
Daddy Brim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 08:58 PM   #18
ChevLoRay
Old Skool Club

Here's an idea....use something like a Line-Loc to set the front brakes (disc would be the plan), but have a keyed switch do the deed. Remove the key and it wouldn't roll even if it was running. Now, I don't have any experience with a Line-Loc, but said this because some fork lifts use a similar parking brake.

A switch that interrupts the path for power to the coil, or an HEI...that is hidden, PLUS the battery disconnect, would be pretty easy and a good deterrant.

Remember, locks just keep the honest people....honest. A thief can and will take anything he/she wants badly enough.

A couple of guys broke into my daughters' storage barn, stole a bunch of stuff and my son-in-law did the investigation and location of their stuff. He even told the sheriff's office when they were at home. Monday, they were in court. One of them is headed back to prison in AZ, while the younger one is going to drug court. If my son-in-law hadn't done all the leg work, nothing would have ever happened. I'm not dissing law enforcement, but it seems that some folks stuff doesn't get any priority. Yeah, I also have a son-in-law who is a cop. Good one, too. Not the same one who got robbed.

Do your homework and get it as right as possible. Hopefully, it will be something that you never have to count on but glad to have if you do.

'96 GMC Sportside; 4.3/SLT - Daily driven....constantly needs washed.

'69 C-10 SWB; 350/TH400 - in limbo

The older I get, the better I was.
ChevLoRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 09:04 PM   #19
mpotts64

well. I was talking to a guy who had gotten out of prison for auto theft and he said the club was the easiest way to steal a car. He said you take freon and freeze the lock on the club, hit it with good sharp hit with a ball pien and the frozen lock would crumble, he said you can just push it in, take it off, and it is gone, have never tried it and cannot say one way or the other, just what I was told, have a great day

Quote:
Originally Posted by MistaGavin View Post
I know it's not a switch but these ideas would help people be a little more honest: "The Club"? Basically a locking bar to make your steering wheel impossible to turn more than about 1/4 turn. Of course there is the higher tech option of a removable wheel...Other than that a battery disconnect is good for the battery as well as a theft device.

When asked why I work on old trucks, I tell them: Been married 27 years, sons are pretty much gone, don't like the wife anymore and don't have a girlfriend, so, gotta do something, the old trucks are cheaper and less drama than a girlfriend -
mpotts64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 09:45 PM   #20
Frkypunk70

I have the best "anti theft" devise. My truck WILL NOT START , unless you hold the gear selector up. I tell my friends all the time if you can start it you can take for a ride....they never get it started. Its such a simple thing a worn out selector that is not touching the neutral safty switch.
Old 07-13-2011, 09:52 PM   #21
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

If you want a simple but effective kill switch, run a wire off of your neutral safety switch. There are several ways to break the circuit that are hard to detect. One is a simple detent switch set on the E-brake. If you click it just one notch, the truck will think it's in gear and will not turn over. There are many more like this, you just need to be creative.

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 11:30 PM   #22
BlazinC5

Here is an alarm system that has alot of features I like, Plus, it also has a camera, So ya may be able to get a pic of the shmuck in your rig. Unfortunatly it don't have an auto taser, flame thrower or high voltage shock behavior correction system either... But the price ain't bad..

https://www.ecarsecurity.com/Scytek-..._car_alarm.htm

My build, Restarted

05 Buell firebolt
94 1500 Z71
No rice for me,,, I'm full
BlazinC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 04:25 AM   #23
Lippyp
English Chevy Owner

I have an electric fuel pump so I'm toying with the idea of a hidden key switch to cut power to it.

'67 C10 long fleet.
350/TH350, 4 bbl Carter, K&N, Dual exhaust, loads of stuff coming soon

2001 S10 Blazer Daily Driver, bone stock 4 door 4x4 with manual transmission
Lippyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 11:35 AM   #24
BBrendal
Recalculating.....

If you have the original distributor just pull the coil wire and take it with you.

1969 Chevy Camaro Z28
1972 Chevy Blazer CST
2004 GMC Yukon (The truck that pulls the car trailer)
1972 Chevy Blazer CST #2 (Finished and sold!)

Blazer build link...
http://s1213.photobucket.com/albums/...rendal/Blazer/
BBrendal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 04:06 PM   #25
1972RedNeck

I have been toying with the idea of putting a floor starter switch in conjunction with the ignition switch.
Originally Posted by GASoline71 View Post
I once pulled an intake manifold for a cam swap... ended up with a full on drag car that ran in the 11's.
1972RedNeck is offline   Reply With Quote