The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-02-2011, 04:56 PM   #26
Brock
upgrading to an older model

Re: Ideas for Kill switch/anti-theft?

I've heard of people putting 4-5 deadbolts on thier house door, locking some and not others so anyone trying to pick the locks would actually be locking some of them. if you could wire up 3-4 3 way switches so they have to be in a certain position before they would power up the ignition it would almost be like a combination lock...just thinking outloud.
Old 08-02-2011, 05:32 PM   #27
70cst

Here are some ideas ...

Ideas for Kill switch/anti-theft? ...

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=474293

cigar lighter' kill switch?

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=274669

Need A Kill Switch Wiring Schematic

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=105722

Easy no-hack hidden kill switch

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=330972

67-72 Chevy and GMC Trucks...The Classic Truck for the Classic Folk.

1970 CST Two tone green, 402BB, 400 Automatic, Tach, Buckets, AC, AM-FM, Tilt, GM CB, GM 8 Tract, LWB, etc

JOHN 17:3...The better side of "LIFE"

Remember: Everyday is a good day...Some are just gooder!
70cst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 05:54 PM   #28
1972RedNeck

Luckily in Montana's smaller towns (all towns except Helena, Butte, Bozeman, Missoula, and Billings) we usually don't have to worry about theft. When I do, I roll up my windows and take my keys out of the ignition.

"If finding your misplaced car keys involves looking in the ignition...........You might live in Montana."

"If you've installed security lights on your house and garage and leave both unlocked.....You might live in Montana."

"If there are 7 empty cars running in the parking lot at Wal-Mart at any given time.......You might live in Montana."
Originally Posted by GASoline71 View Post
I once pulled an intake manifold for a cam swap... ended up with a full on drag car that ran in the 11's.
1972RedNeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 10:48 PM   #29
MagmaJct

Many good, and funny ideas and stories in this thread. I second the "worn shifter". Mine is worn, and a little pressure in a certain place allows it to be shifted into drive. Sometimes when I go to emissions the test person will insist I place the transmission into park. I try to warn them, but they insist.

Once they realize they can't simply pull and shift, they ask me to explain, when they don't understand my instructions, they get out and let me shift it back into neutral.

Anyone even look into having the Low Jack installed in their truck? I've considered it, but I don't know if they insist on installing the device themselves or if they'd sell the unit as a DIY kit.
MagmaJct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 11:12 PM   #30
rpmerf

My truck has an old style alarm on it. There's a keyed switch in the fender. When a door or the hood is opened, an air raid siren goes off. In the near future I am going to attach a relay to disable the starter wire when the system is active. I'd like to put a timer on the siren so it goes off for a minute after its set off, instead of stopping when the door/hood is closed.
rpmerf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 11:13 PM   #31
69heavychevy

detachable steering wheel?? figure someone will want to steal a truck they can steer...
69heavychevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 03:08 PM   #32
yoncey

Four levels of security.

1.) Your regular alarm that will trip when a door opens or truck is bumped.
2.) Kill switch from HEI to somewhere hidden in the Truck.
3.) Add a Battery disconnect switch and include a by pass 15 amp fuse to ensure you maintain settings on radio etc.
3.) Final one........that always works......weld a u bolt under the hood and wrap a chain from your hood to your grill frame and put a lock on it....you make it tight enough to where you can just barely open your hood enough to see the lock and be able to open it with the key. This will eliminate from someone getting into the engine compartment and making the final adjustments to start your truck and stealing it. If you do this then you can eliminate 1 & 2 above and just have the battery disconnect, truck will not go anywhere with the exception of being towed, and if that is the case then the alarm should be put back in the equation.

I had a buddy that did this to his Impala and it was genius. No one could get into his engine....not even get a peak at it.

Last edited by yoncey; 06-26-2012 at 03:30 PM. Reason: addition
yoncey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 05:41 PM   #33
406 Q-ship

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagmaJct View Post
Many good, and funny ideas and stories in this thread. I second the "worn shifter". Mine is worn, and a little pressure in a certain place allows it to be shifted into drive. Sometimes when I go to emissions the test person will insist I place the transmission into park. I try to warn them, but they insist.

Once they realize they can't simply pull and shift, they ask me to explain, when they don't understand my instructions, they get out and let me shift it back into neutral.

Anyone even look into having the Low Jack installed in their truck? I've considered it, but I don't know if they insist on installing the device themselves or if they'd sell the unit as a DIY kit.
Standard Lo-Jack is worthless. Unless you see the vehicle going away to notify and have the tracking activated. Lo-Jack regular system does not track the vehicle until after you find it is gone, so you could be tracking a stripped vehicle......there are much better tracking style alarms out there.

Where patience fails, force prevails

Stapp's Ironical Paradox "The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle."
406 Q-ship is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 06:01 PM   #34
El Campo

Cop was telling me just yesterday that Lojack will not even start funtioning until the VIN hits some central monitoring location. This is after it is reported etc
72 Chevy SWB: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=486626 (Attempt/Mistake #2)
2003 Harley Davidson Dyna Superglide with 2007 Street Bob front end
2000 Ford F350 Powerstroke 4WD CCLB, 310,000 miles running great (STOLEN St. Patricks Day 2014 AND NEVER RECOVERED)
2002 Ford F250 Powerstroke 4WD CCLB (To replace stolen one)
Hook em Horns!!!
El Campo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 06:14 PM   #35
70cst

When I get to the hotel tonight I post some "kill switch " links for you all.
Posted via Mobile Device

67-72 Chevy and GMC Trucks...The Classic Truck for the Classic Folk.

1970 CST Two tone green, 402BB, 400 Automatic, Tach, Buckets, AC, AM-FM, Tilt, GM CB, GM 8 Tract, LWB, etc

JOHN 17:3...The better side of "LIFE"

Remember: Everyday is a good day...Some are just gooder!
70cst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 07:58 PM   #36
cleszkie

I remove all four wheels and set my Blazer on cinder blocks every night. I then pour a quart of motor oil and tranny fluid on the driveway under it to deter would be thieves
cleszkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 11:50 PM   #37
firedog

My simple anti theft is I pull the in line fuse from the wire that goes to the hei, if you dont know about it it will drive you nuts first to find it then have one to replace it it is a blade fuse all the rest under my dash are old style. I know it has blown and drive me crazy till I figured out what it was.
Posted via Mobile Device
Tach/tilt/buddy buckets
Bagged/18" Wheels
Black on Black

Project "Pandemic" the Farm Rat
1927 Chevy Capitol Truck Rat rod
'30 Model A Frame
Dual Carb 5.3 LS
http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...d.php?t=804162

2007 GMC 4 DOOR 2WD
BUILT 5.3 STAGE 3 CAM 93 TUNE
LIFTED 22X12 WHEELS 33" TIRES

2023 Jeep RENEGADE
Wifes ride
firedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 08:48 PM   #38
In The Ten Ring

Quote:
Originally Posted by firedog View Post
My simple anti theft is I pull the in line fuse from the wire that goes to the hei, if you dont know about it it will drive you nuts first to find it then have one to replace it it is a blade fuse all the rest under my dash are old style. I know it has blown and drive me crazy till I figured out what it was.
Posted via Mobile Device
Gosh this is a great thread!

My truck is still up on blocks but when I get her running again I plan to take the shifter lever with me. I could back up against a pole, put it in reverse, and take the 3 speed on the column lever with me.
In The Ten Ring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 05:29 PM   #39
orange-ant

Hi all. I'm new to the forum. I'm on my first restoration and my first Chevy.

My question is: I changed out the steering column and my new one does not have the neutral safety switch. As of now, I'm using a jumper so the truck can start. Is it possible to hook up a switch to this simple set up to act as a kill switch? I mean I know it can, it makes sense. I guess my question is, does the switch need to be able to handle certain volts/amps/load etc? Thanks and I'm sure I'll have plenty of questions for the group. I've been lurking and learning from you guys for a year now.
orange-ant is offline   Reply With Quote