The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-17-2017, 08:02 AM   #1
GOPAPA
"Tail Gate Best Seat In House"

A Heart Warming Chrismas Story

Dogs’ lives are too short. thats their only fault, really.

Name:  30190b3d7525212122e59296d1187f99--christmas-morning-christmas-puppy.jpg
Views: 266
Size:  36.5 KB

Whatever life threw at us each year, come Christmas our family had one constant tradition: our dog Pepper opened our presents for us. When our beloved Black Lab mix had been a gangly adolescent puppy, we had only given her unbreakable gifts to unwrap—things like pajamas and steering wheel covers. She proved to be so careful that we soon gave her any gift that wasn’t edible. Every time, Pepper found the seam in the wrapping paper with her snout and held the present down gingerly with her forepaws. Her front teeth pried up the lip of paper with the utmost care. Then she removed every inch of wrapping paper before stepping back to lie in the midst of our gathering. She never bit or scratched the gifts themselves.

Friends and relatives who joined our family celebrations never believed Pepper could be so delicate until they witnessed her talents. Watching our sweet dog unwrap gifts always warmed the holiday, which was often a little bittersweet because college, studying abroad, or work commitments often kept my two sisters and me away.

One year, everyone made it home for a Christmas together. I was back from Ireland, Kaci flew in from Arizona, and Kara visited from college. Mom’s jubilance kept her busy baking cookies for us all. Our Christmas season should have been perfect.

It couldn’t feel perfect, though, because Pepper’s health was deteriorating. Her life had already been longer than we expected—she was fourteen—and yet her mind was still sharp. Her enthusiasm for life made us feel better. But her body could not keep up with her spirit. She’d already shown the usual signs of deafness and stiffness. That year, her hips and back legs started giving out on her. We knew we would soon have to make a difficult decision.

It was likely Pepper’s last Christmas, so we decided to make sure she enjoyed it. On Christmas Eve, we gathered around the tree to open an early present. We each took a turn and then called Pepper to open one more. But her tangled legs could not navigate the boxes and shredded wrapping paper on the floor. She stumbled over the obstacles, and soon she disappeared into the next room. She crumpled back to the floor, as out of the way as she could get.

We were heartbroken. Could Pepper even participate in her last Christmas?

Pepper stayed on the periphery of all our holiday activities. Throughout the day, we gave gifts but did not feel very giving. We shared stories over cinnamon rolls that tasted bland. We played games by the tree whose twinkles had dimmed.

That evening, Kaci said what we’d all been thinking: “I wish Pepper could have helped open presents this year.”

We all put down our mugs of spiced tea. “Maybe she still could,” Kara said.

"But there’s none left,” Mom reminded her.

Kara jumped up and left the room. We heard her opening drawers and cabinets in the kitchen. She returned with a box of dog biscuits, scissors, and a roll of tape.

“Hand me that green paper,” Kara told me, pointing at a large sheet at my feet. She cut a small section from the paper and wrapped a single dog treat in it. She held it up as if she had just struck gold. “Now there’s a present for her!”

I knelt on the floor next to Kara and wrapped another dog treat. Kaci and Mom joined in, too. Soon, we had four elegantly wrapped dog biscuits in a row on the floor. We cleared the floor of discarded wrapping paper. We tucked our legs under us as we perched out of the way on the furniture.

“Go get Pepper,” we urged Mom. We all bounced like eager children.

Mom went into the next room. “You want to open a present, girl?” she coaxed. In a moment, Pepper stuck her head into the room. Her ears were fully perked with anticipation and curiosity.

She skidded on stilted legs to the row of presents. She sniffed all four in order, and looked back and forth between them. She’d never had such a wide choice of gifts before.

Soon, Pepper selected her first Christmas gift. She nimbly turned the present with her forepaw, just like she was a spry young dog once more. She tugged every last scrap of paper off the dog treat before she chewed it with her customary grace.

Our family swelled with glee.

Pepper licked the last crumb from the floor. She eyed the remaining three presents, then turned to Mom as if asking, “May I please open another?”

“Go ahead, girl!” Mom encouraged.

For the next few minutes, Pepper opened each of her Christmas presents. While she did, she reminded us of the sheer joy of being together. Our family felt whole—not because we were in the same room, city, or country, but because our love bonded us together.

In the new year, Pepper let us know it was time to call the veterinarian. Her passing, while tearful, was peaceful. In its own way, her passing was also a celebration of life, because she gave my family so much love and laughter.

Long after I forgot each of my presents, I still cherish Pepper’s final Christmas gift. She taught me that no matter where we each spend the holidays, and no matter what the passing year brings, the smallest act of heartfelt giving can unite our family through our love. For me, that knowledge is the longest-lasting gift of all.

,,,,,,Merry Christmas,,,,,,and ,,,,,,,,Happy New Year to You All 12/17/2017
Old 12-17-2017, 09:50 AM   #2
Chevyland

Re: A Heart Warming Chrismas Story

Very nice!
It's, the memories that matter 😊
Chevyland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 10:49 AM   #3
davischevy

My dog passed a few years ago. I was melancholy for days.

Build thread, Arkansas K10
https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...=755797&page=5

The ability to speak several languages is an asset, but the ability to keep your mouth shut in any language is priceless.
davischevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 11:18 AM   #4
flashed

What a great story , I still miss my weiner muts ,I have had weiner dogs since I was a kid until my last one died ,she was 17 years old and the smartest dog I ever had .Near the end of her life she was deaf and blind and I told my wife it was time to put her down .I called the vet and made the appointment and went to her kennel to get her .She jumped into my arms with that tail wagging and licked my face and could not wait to go for a ride ,her favorite thing to do besides chase cats .I took her to the vets office ,her wagging that happy tail all the way inside and I told the vet ,Im sorry but its not time ,she is still happy and enjoying life .She died on her own a couple years later ,still happy .
flashed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 05:24 PM   #5
special-K
Special Order

A house needs a good dog. My old buddy died just when I was thinking maybe to have his quality of life looked over by a vet. He sure got old and week, but still wanted to be right there. I was going to take him the next day. Outside that evening he leaned up against my legs as we looked out into the thicket (bird dog). I fell asleep on the couch across from "his spot" in front of his old chair he couldn't get in and out of on his own. I woke up once and he has laying in the other direction. That morning he was in that same position as if still sleeping. He was a great dog.
Attached Images

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 09:10 PM   #6
GOPAPA

Good ol dog Tim ,,You can just tell by lookin at him ,,sorry for the loss of your pal .
Old 12-17-2017, 11:13 PM   #7
Boog
laying low

Was that recently Tim?
Dogs become real family members. We get used to them being with us and not think about their life spans being so short in comparison to ours . It's wonderful raising them from pups. They grow with our families and it's painful when they pass like with any family member. I'm sorry for your loss.
91 Chevy sportside, Tahoe, Yukon & GMC Crewcab All GM..'nuff said.

I stand for the flag and kneel at the cross
Boog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 11:53 PM   #8
special-K
Special Order

No, it's been years. At first I wanted to wait and now I could use one but hesitating taking all that on right now.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 11:03 PM   #9
65 GMC

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOPAPA View Post
Dogs’ lives are too short. thats their only fault, really.

Attachment 1717619

Whatever life threw at us each year, come Christmas our family had one constant tradition: our dog Pepper opened our presents for us. When our beloved Black Lab mix had been a gangly adolescent puppy, we had only given her unbreakable gifts to unwrap—things like pajamas and steering wheel covers. She proved to be so careful that we soon gave her any gift that wasn’t edible. Every time, Pepper found the seam in the wrapping paper with her snout and held the present down gingerly with her forepaws. Her front teeth pried up the lip of paper with the utmost care. Then she removed every inch of wrapping paper before stepping back to lie in the midst of our gathering. She never bit or scratched the gifts themselves.

Friends and relatives who joined our family celebrations never believed Pepper could be so delicate until they witnessed her talents. Watching our sweet dog unwrap gifts always warmed the holiday, which was often a little bittersweet because college, studying abroad, or work commitments often kept my two sisters and me away.

One year, everyone made it home for a Christmas together. I was back from Ireland, Kaci flew in from Arizona, and Kara visited from college. Mom’s jubilance kept her busy baking cookies for us all. Our Christmas season should have been perfect.

It couldn’t feel perfect, though, because Pepper’s health was deteriorating. Her life had already been longer than we expected—she was fourteen—and yet her mind was still sharp. Her enthusiasm for life made us feel better. But her body could not keep up with her spirit. She’d already shown the usual signs of deafness and stiffness. That year, her hips and back legs started giving out on her. We knew we would soon have to make a difficult decision.

It was likely Pepper’s last Christmas, so we decided to make sure she enjoyed it. On Christmas Eve, we gathered around the tree to open an early present. We each took a turn and then called Pepper to open one more. But her tangled legs could not navigate the boxes and shredded wrapping paper on the floor. She stumbled over the obstacles, and soon she disappeared into the next room. She crumpled back to the floor, as out of the way as she could get.

We were heartbroken. Could Pepper even participate in her last Christmas?

Pepper stayed on the periphery of all our holiday activities. Throughout the day, we gave gifts but did not feel very giving. We shared stories over cinnamon rolls that tasted bland. We played games by the tree whose twinkles had dimmed.

That evening, Kaci said what we’d all been thinking: “I wish Pepper could have helped open presents this year.”

We all put down our mugs of spiced tea. “Maybe she still could,” Kara said.

"But there’s none left,” Mom reminded her.

Kara jumped up and left the room. We heard her opening drawers and cabinets in the kitchen. She returned with a box of dog biscuits, scissors, and a roll of tape.

“Hand me that green paper,” Kara told me, pointing at a large sheet at my feet. She cut a small section from the paper and wrapped a single dog treat in it. She held it up as if she had just struck gold. “Now there’s a present for her!”

I knelt on the floor next to Kara and wrapped another dog treat. Kaci and Mom joined in, too. Soon, we had four elegantly wrapped dog biscuits in a row on the floor. We cleared the floor of discarded wrapping paper. We tucked our legs under us as we perched out of the way on the furniture.

“Go get Pepper,” we urged Mom. We all bounced like eager children.

Mom went into the next room. “You want to open a present, girl?” she coaxed. In a moment, Pepper stuck her head into the room. Her ears were fully perked with anticipation and curiosity.

She skidded on stilted legs to the row of presents. She sniffed all four in order, and looked back and forth between them. She’d never had such a wide choice of gifts before.

Soon, Pepper selected her first Christmas gift. She nimbly turned the present with her forepaw, just like she was a spry young dog once more. She tugged every last scrap of paper off the dog treat before she chewed it with her customary grace.

Our family swelled with glee.

Pepper licked the last crumb from the floor. She eyed the remaining three presents, then turned to Mom as if asking, “May I please open another?”

“Go ahead, girl!” Mom encouraged.

For the next few minutes, Pepper opened each of her Christmas presents. While she did, she reminded us of the sheer joy of being together. Our family felt whole—not because we were in the same room, city, or country, but because our love bonded us together.

In the new year, Pepper let us know it was time to call the veterinarian. Her passing, while tearful, was peaceful. In its own way, her passing was also a celebration of life, because she gave my family so much love and laughter.

Long after I forgot each of my presents, I still cherish Pepper’s final Christmas gift. She taught me that no matter where we each spend the holidays, and no matter what the passing year brings, the smallest act of heartfelt giving can unite our family through our love. For me, that knowledge is the longest-lasting gift of all.

,,,,,,Merry Christmas,,,,,,and ,,,,,,,,Happy New Year to You All 12/17/2017
Thank you for posting this. A few days before Thanksgiving this year we lost our Yellow Lab Missy, She had an aggressive form of cancer that took her from us long before we ready to let her go. The holidays this year were not the same without her.
65 GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 01:57 PM   #10
cayoterun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boog View Post
Was that recently Tim?
Dogs become real family members. We get used to them being with us and not think about their life spans being so short in comparison to ours . It's wonderful raising them from pups. They grow with our families and it's painful when they pass like with any family member. I'm sorry for your loss.
Dog stories, Most of us have them:

One of mine:
I kept working dogs for years, Both Blue and Red "Heelers".
My favorite was "Killer". I got him as a weaning pup. Our 4 kids were small. I carried him home as a fuzzy toddler. The kids asked his name, and I told them they could name him. After much debate among them, his name came up "Killer". He sure never looked or acted like one, tho, but was a natural around the livestock. I enjoyed watching him work in the corral as I'd be sorting them. We could move them from the bigger pens to smaller, and when they went thru the last gate, I"d tell him to hold them there. He would drop to his belly in the gate and when the cattle would turn toward him, he'd stare at them as if to say, "You just try to go past me, and I'll nip your nose".

When he got old, deaf, and crippled, I went out one morning, called to him, and sit down. He came up and sit in front of me, I rubbed his ears, petted him, stood up, he walked away from me. He went across the yard, turned and looked at me, and I went on to do chores. I never saw him again. I looked all over, drove all the pastures, still wonder if he bid me "fairwell" and went off and died somewhere.

Aaa, the memories of us 'ol geezers. Priceless.

I think I'll do it myself and pay the extra $500.

Last edited by cayoterun; 01-02-2018 at 02:03 PM.
cayoterun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 03:04 PM   #11
VWNate1

Thumbs up Re: A Heart Warming Chrismas Story

Thank you all for these stories .

I've always had rescue mutts, almost everyone was young when I got them .

Mutts have far less health issues and smaller dogs tend to live much longer .

I currently have two, both Chihuahuas, both from the pound ~ my Sire was about to be put down because he didn't like anyone , had been horribly abused by a small Latina girl when he was tiny, he hated young Latina girls for many years . I took a chance because he's so beautiful, it took him a long time to trust me and become the loving family member he's been for 19 years .

My ***** is a Doxy - Chi mix, she chose _me_ at the pound, made a terrible racket every time I walked past her cage, she's about 16 now .

They're very good Supervisors, hopefully I can attach a picture here .

Name:  IMG_0036[1].jpg
Views: 92
Size:  46.6 KB

Supervising a brake job and lack of sufficent belly rubs here.... .
'69 C/10 shortbed sidemount survivor 250 L6 W/ 350TH
VWNate1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 05:07 PM   #12
GOPAPA

thx all that hit the like button ,,,,I enjoy sharing stories with good endings ,,and especially at Christmas time.. and I enjoy others who post great reading too..
Old 01-03-2018, 03:49 PM   #13
Lemield

Thanks for posting that heart warming story.

We lost our big rescue Boxer Duke on December 15th 2016. We still miss him.

Here he was in his prime at Christmas time....
Attached Images

1949 Willys CJ2A, Kubota Turbo Diesel engine, Warn Overdrive, 11 inch brakes, 12volt, Warn M8000 Winch "Little Green"
1970 Rustoleum Roller Red C20 Custom Camper 454 TH400 "Big Red"
1971 K20 6.2 Turbo Diesel 4x4 4spd Ranger Overdrive "Pumpkin Wagon"
2005 VW Beetle Diesel 44+ MPG "Silver Bullet"
Lemield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 11:07 PM   #14
outfield

Hey Tim, was your pup a Brittany?

We had to put down our Brittany Ginny this last December, she was a rescue, and a pure bread. We had her 5 days shy of 11 years. Cancer got her. The holidays weren't the same this year.
Below is a pic of her on her last trip to the snow in Novemer.
The bright side is we are getting a new Brittany pup next week. And a pic of the new pup.

QUOTE=special-K;8107432]A house needs a good dog. My old buddy died just when I was thinking maybe to have his quality of life looked over by a vet. He sure got old and week, but still wanted to be right there. I was going to take him the next day. Outside that evening he leaned up against my legs as we looked out into the thicket (bird dog). I fell asleep on the couch across from "his spot" in front of his old chair he couldn't get in and out of on his own. I woke up once and he has laying in the other direction. That morning he was in that same position as if still sleeping. He was a great dog.[/QUOTE]
Attached Images

Last edited by outfield; 01-09-2018 at 11:56 PM.
outfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 11:23 PM   #15
outfield

Hey Tim, was your pup a Brittany?

We had to put down our Brittany Ginny this last December, she was a rescue, and a pure bread. We had her 5 days shy of 11 years. Cancer got her. The holidays weren't the same this year.

The bright side is we are getting a new Brittany pup next week.

QUOTE=special-K;8107432]A house needs a good dog. My old buddy died just when I was thinking maybe to have his quality of life looked over by a vet. He sure got old and week, but still wanted to be right there. I was going to take him the next day. Outside that evening he leaned up against my legs as we looked out into the thicket (bird dog). I fell asleep on the couch across from "his spot" in front of his old chair he couldn't get in and out of on his own. I woke up once and he has laying in the other direction. That morning he was in that same position as if still sleeping. He was a great dog.[/QUOTE]

Last edited by outfield; 01-10-2018 at 12:34 AM.
outfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 10:35 AM   #16
FleetsidePaul
R.I.P. E.S.L.L.

We lost our little Chihuahua a couple months ago. She was 19 years old and tough as nails right down to the end. Always pushing our larger dogs around. They would move out of the way when they saw her coming. She just fell asleep one night,and never woke up.

We buried her on our property in her favorite dog bed. The neighbors even came over for a little funeral. R.I.P. Chi Chi.

1970 CST 20

1970 C/30 Flatbed

1983 C/30 Dually

2015 Corvette Z51 2021 Corvette Z51 1991 Cadillac Hearse 1982 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz 2000 Porsche Boxster S 2020 Jeep Gladiator 1973 VW Thing 1973 Plymouth Satellite wagon 1963 Baja Bug 1959 Bug Dune Buggy 1970 Baja Bug 1987 Jaguar XJ 350.

R.I.P. El Jay

R.I.P Jessie.

R.I.P Grumpy.

Every day is a gift from God.
FleetsidePaul is offline   Reply With Quote