The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-16-2017, 06:18 PM   #1
Pinchecharlie

Can't bleed the f@$$%@# brakes ,help me !!

Will you savy mechanics please enlighten me on this process! Everything is new, new calipers up front new lines, new master new prop valve, new cylinders in the rear, new lines on the axle. Only old line is junction from passenger front to axle. I bleed the master on the bench. Every wheel will bleed but drivers rear. New bleeder back there. I've tightened everything to the point of breaking them . The drivers rear will spew bubbles indefinitely. This tells me I have a loose fitting right? But passenger bleeds bleeds fine? Bad wheel cylinder even though it's new? I even bought a little bleeds screw thing for the proportioning valve. I dunno but iam about to flip out mood. Any insight of any kind will help cause iam looking this battle. Thanks charlie

Last edited by Pinchecharlie; 07-16-2017 at 06:21 PM. Reason: Bad spelling
Pinchecharlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 06:23 PM   #2
Clyde65
1965 Chevy C10, 2005 4.8L/4l60

Re: Can't bleed the f@$$%@# brakes ,help me !!

I have seen wheel cylinders that weren't made right do something like that. Where did you buy? Brand?

Rebuild of Clyde
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...84#post8338184

69 Aristocrat Lo Liner build
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...84#post7561684

support our troops!
Clyde65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 06:27 PM   #3
Pinchecharlie

Oh they came from Napa, Ray bestos I think? Silly thing is that the other side (passanger) is same stuff and it bleeds fine. Must be that cylinder?
Old 07-16-2017, 08:45 PM   #4
RANDY COX

Yea it could be that wheel cylinder just because it's new, doesn't mean anything, could be defective...Yrs ago I had a blazer and had changed out the master cylinder and never could get brakes to the rear to save my life changed out all kind of stuff..never did find out what the problem was, I wound up selling it like that...
Old 07-16-2017, 09:23 PM   #5
Pinchecharlie

Shot in the dark but could the truck being on a slight incle have ant affect. Fronts higher than back?
Old 07-16-2017, 10:22 PM   #6
mafosa

you could reverse bleed them. need a compressor, glass jam (style) jar, couple air fittings and a "on n off" valve.
fill up jar with fluid, take off the MC cover, hose from jar to bleeder valve, pressurize the jar (5lbs or so and force everything up the the MC.

i used russells speed bleeders for the first time. waaaay cleaner job.

just a thought.

larry
mafosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 09:01 AM   #7
jayoldschool

Swap the cylinders side to side, you'll have your answer...
jayoldschool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 09:44 AM   #8
goofy063

its possible you pushed the the cup in the cylinder to far in when installing but it should leak. try gravity bleeding loosen the bleeder put a piece of hose on the bleeder run it to a jar take the lid off master cylinder and wait it shouldn't take to long maybe 15 mins and don't let the master run dry
goofy063 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 10:24 AM   #9
MikeN

If the piece you said you did NOT replace si the short rubber line over the rear end housing, those can deteriorate/corrode from the inside, and become plugged. Happened on my 69 Chevelle. Any NAPA should have that hose.
MikeN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 11:18 AM   #10
Pinchecharlie

I read that if you run the master too dry while bleeding you need to remove and re bleed the master? We did run it low one try. I replaced the short hose in back but I'll check it. Will order speed bleeder seems everyone likes them. I thought to maybe my brake peddle wasn't adjusted right too and not fully disengaging the plunger?. Looks like a complete do over but that's how it goes. So frustrating but typical.Thanks for the replies I'll try all the stuff mentioned.
Old 07-17-2017, 11:47 AM   #11
cg285

you don't need any special bleeder. check and see if you left a line fitting loose.
cg285 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 12:18 PM   #12
Pinchecharlie

I read that if you run the master too dry while bleeding you need to remove and re bleed the master? We did run it low one try. I replaced the short hose in back but I'll check it. Will order speed bleeder seems everyone likes them. I thought to maybe my brake peddle wasn't adjusted right too and not fully disengaging the plunger?. Looks like a complete do over but that's how it goes. So frustrating but typical.Thanks for the replies I'll try all the stuff mentioned.
Old 07-18-2017, 01:32 AM   #13
nail pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinchecharlie View Post
If it's dual pot reservoir and you ran the one dry just keep filling it up and bleeding the rears until it's done, no need to start over. Just pump, pump, pump, hold and repeat until it's done. Make sure to keep it full this time. Test drive and re-bleed if necessary.
nail pounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 12:31 PM   #14
chevy_mike
Never Ending Projects

Did you drill a pivot hole 1" down from the stock pedal hookup? This is exactly the issue when the pedal ratio is wrong. It works like normal but really low, almost to the floor. Just did a power brake swap on my buddies '68. He tried the stock hole and it got firm like it should, the pedal would engage really low. As I had told him, he needed to drill a hole 1" lower for the proper power brake pedal ratio. He did that and the brakes work perfect.

Many GM cars already had this second lower hole but most trucks did not because the factory use a bell crank linkage to change the pedal ratio.
1965 Chevy C10, Long, Fleetside, Hot Rod C10 http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=415702 SOLD

We were given two ears and one mouth for a reason... listen twice as much and speak half as often...
chevy_mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 12:40 PM   #15
Pinchecharlie

I didn't drill a new hope but I will tonight! Thanks I appreciate it!!
Old 07-20-2017, 11:24 AM   #16
chevy_mike
Never Ending Projects

Glad it solved the problem. This seems to be really common with power brake swaps.
1965 Chevy C10, Long, Fleetside, Hot Rod C10 http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=415702 SOLD

We were given two ears and one mouth for a reason... listen twice as much and speak half as often...
chevy_mike is offline   Reply With Quote