The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-10-2021, 09:33 PM   #1
Asshat

Shoulder belts for a 63C10/20?

I didn’t see shoulder belts for the 63; are these only available for 64 and up? I’m sure someone has done this, right?

I looked on Retro let.com, they only have stuff for 64 and up.
Old 04-10-2021, 10:15 PM   #2
AcampoDave

Re: Shoulder belts for a 63C10/20?

Sure, I've done it a couple times using a kit like this: https://www.julianos.com/Push-Button...jupb3ptret.htm from Juliano's. They have a lot of options with regard to buckle design and material color, but I really like their backing/anchor plates. The shoulder anchor is a little tough but more or less you mark your spot. Drill the hole using a drill stop. Tape the anchor plate to a yardstick and fish it up the pillar until you can capture it with the bolt and cinch it down.

Last edited by AcampoDave; 04-10-2021 at 10:21 PM.
AcampoDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 10:56 PM   #3
Asshat

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcampoDave View Post
Sure, I've done it a couple times using a kit like this: https://www.julianos.com/Push-Button...jupb3ptret.htm from Juliano's. They have a lot of options with regard to buckle design and material color, but I really like their backing/anchor plates. The shoulder anchor is a little tough but more or less you mark your spot. Drill the hole using a drill stop. Tape the anchor plate to a yardstick and fish it up the pillar until you can capture it with the bolt and cinch it down.
Ok. I think I see what you mean. How do you access the area behind the pillar? From below?

How did you find the right spot to drill?

Are these the anchor plates?
Attached Images

Old 04-11-2021, 12:35 AM   #4
AcampoDave

I sat in the truck and had a helper place the belt into a realistic position as though I was wearing it for real. Then the helper moved the shoulder anchor point around as I gave feedback. Being tall, my ideal point was a little higher than average I suppose. For the passenger's side I put my wife in the seat and I was the helper and we found the ideal anchor height for her. And yes , when all was said and done I pushed the yardstick with the anchor taped to it up thru the bottom. The gas tank makes it tough so do it with little fuel in there in case you have to dislodge it from its mounts. The anchors you posted are for the lap but they can work for the shoulder too. The shoulder anchor in the kit I linked is the longer skinnier one with the tab on it. Notice how it had two additonal holes for using smaller bolts (or spot welds) to secure it to the sheet metal of the pillar. Using lap anchors in the pillar (which I think I did) causes them to fall out if you ever need to unbolt the belt from the anchor since the only thing keeping them in place is the bolt thru the belt mount itself. Edit: Truth is Mr Hat, it's been so long since I did it, it's hard to remember which anchor I put in the pillar. But I know it would fall out if I ever pulled the bolt. BTW the 90 degree brackets in the link bolt to the lap belts on one end and the floor anchor point on the other.

Last edited by AcampoDave; 04-11-2021 at 01:24 AM.
Old 04-11-2021, 01:31 AM   #5
AcampoDave

I've never tested these belts in crash thankfully but I do firmly believe that a junkyard lap belt once saved my life when I crashed a 1953 International panel truck back in the mid to late 80's. I wish more classic vehicle enthusiasts like us would see the value in investing a couple hundred bucks into quaity seatbelts.
Old 04-11-2021, 02:44 PM   #6
aotte1

A few photos of 1966 trucks with factory shoulder belts, Fremont plant, for reference. First three photos are from 1966 factory installs, forth from 1966 assembly manual, and last forum member who detailed locating installation point. Hope this helps some.
Attached Images

Last edited by aotte1; 04-11-2021 at 02:51 PM.
aotte1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 03:59 PM   #7
AcampoDave

And here's where mine ended up. I'm 6'5" tall but my seat is lower than stock.
Attached Images

Old 04-11-2021, 06:06 PM   #8
cwcarpenter98

I put some from Seatbeltplanet.com in my 63. On the passenger side, I was able to stick my arm up the inside and hold the plate while threading in the bolt. The driver's side was a bit more of a challenge because I didn't remove the gas tank. I ended up taping the nut to a wrench, then taped that wrench to a long screw driver. It worked well

I used the measurements in the thread that aotte1 screen captured. I love having 3 point seat belts in my truck. Definitely worth the money.

I also had a plastic piece break on my belts. Seatbeltplanet sent me a replacement piece for the one that broke at no charge. You can also request color samples so you can get something that goes with your seat well. I think black belts would look good with your red seat though
Attached Images

1963 C10 - Frankentruck 283, 3 speed with overdrive
Overdrive wiring here
1963-ish truck bed trailer - Half-Wit

1981 C10 - Penny 305, th350

1995 Dodge Dakota Sport

"I'll put it simple: if you're going hard enough left, you'll find yourself turning right." - Doc Hudson
cwcarpenter98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 07:23 PM   #9
Asshat

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwcarpenter98 View Post
I put some from Seatbeltplanet.com in my 63. On the passenger side, I was able to stick my arm up the inside and hold the plate while threading in the bolt. The driver's side was a bit more of a challenge because I didn't remove the gas tank. I ended up taping the nut to a wrench, then taped that wrench to a long screw driver. It worked well

I used the measurements in the thread that aotte1 screen captured. I love having 3 point seat belts in my truck. Definitely worth the money.

I also had a plastic piece break on my belts. Seatbeltplanet sent me a replacement piece for the one that broke at no charge. You can also request color samples so you can get something that goes with your seat well. I think black belts would look good with your red seat though
I was thinking red might be good too; I think those only come with black buckles and plastic covers.

Also thinking about taupe or tan, since it’s close to the color of the inside of the cab and dash.
Old 04-11-2021, 08:02 PM   #10
AcampoDave

I chose black 'cause I'm not particularly good about having clean hands... but here is a beauy in taupe with the o.e.m style airplane buckle https://www.julianos.com/Chrome-Lift...-p/jull3pt.htm

Last edited by AcampoDave; 04-11-2021 at 08:08 PM.
Old 04-12-2021, 02:07 PM   #11
61hawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by aotte1 View Post
A few photos of 1966 trucks with factory shoulder belts, Fremont plant, for reference. First three photos are from 1966 factory installs, forth from 1966 assembly manual, and last forum member who detailed locating installation point. Hope this helps some.
The guy who used a nutsert, while it may look like a good idea, is going to regret it if he really needs to rely on that holding him back from eating the steering wheel.
61hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 04:56 PM   #12
Jackson's Dad 64 C10

I haven’t tackled the seat belts on our 1964 yet (but they are coming as this thing progresses). We are definitely doing 3 point in the truck. That being said, I did seat belts in the 1965 Nova that I used to own, and went with Seatbelt Planet. I was really impressed with their customer service, and will be checking with them for the truck.
Jackson's Dad 64 C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 05:18 PM   #13
dragracer98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackson's Dad 64 C10 View Post
I haven’t tackled the seat belts on our 1964 yet (but they are coming as this thing progresses). We are definitely doing 3 point in the truck. That being said, I did seat belts in the 1965 Nova that I used to own, and went with Seatbelt Planet. I was really impressed with their customer service, and will be checking with them for the truck.
I also have a 64 C10 and will be putting 3 point belts in. Here is a short video of one install on a 66. Different company than you mentioned but install should be about the same. I haven't decided on what company to go with. My biggest problem is what color I want. I only want to do it one time..lol.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=exIC_l_oNO8

Randy
dragracer98 is offline   Reply With Quote