The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-22-2007, 01:21 AM   #1
Rupdog

Reproduction VIN tag

Hi. This is my first post, and I'm restoring my first truck. It's a 70 C/20 350/400 2wd longbed (non A/C).

I bought it from a guy who bought it from a guy who committed suicide while the restoration had already started (approx 5 years ago). He stripped and painted the entire engine bay and interior. The level of detail is amazing. Unfortunately, somewhere between then and now, the VIN tag got lost. He also stripped the glove box, along with the rest of the interior for a repaint, and the trim decal is gone.

It's nothing exotic, like a COPO Camaro or Superbird, but I'd like to have an original (appearing) VIN tag in place. Because it's been off the books so long, I need to take it to DMV for inspection, and don't want to raise any red flags. The truck is legit, still has the license plate and VIN on the latest (1995) pink slip.

I've read tonite via this great site that I can verify the VIN on the driver's side framerail, and I'll check it next time I'm at the paint shop.

SO......... I'm hoping someone has a resource for accurate VIN tag reproductions. I've found someone who charges $195.00, and includes the original style rivets, but he normally does the typical musclecars, and has never done a truck. I intend to remove a tag from a wrecking yard '70 truck, and send it in for a match.

However, I'd prefer to check with all of you and see if you've used anyone, and what the results were.

I know this is a touchy subject, but I can assure you the truck is legit. I just want it to be whole again.

Thanks in advance for all your help!!! I'll be at the Brothers show in July, with my red/white longbed.

Rupen
70 LWB
Attached Images

Rupdog is offline   Reply With Quote