The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 07+ Chevy and GMC Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-10-2011, 03:21 PM   #1
Alaskan SS

07 GMC Sierra Towing Question

I need some advice. I have a 2007 GMC Sierra 1500 Crew cab. It's the new body style, SLE1 package. It has a 4.8 liter and 3.42 rear axle ratio. The maximum trailer weight is 5400 lbs for my truck. Short of getting a new truck, what can I do to increase the towing capacity? Thanks for any advice.
Alaskan SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 11:33 PM   #2
LEEVON

Re: 07 GMC Sierra Towing Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskan SS View Post
I need some advice. I have a 2007 GMC Sierra 1500 Crew cab. It's the new body style, SLE1 package. It has a 4.8 liter and 3.42 rear axle ratio. The maximum trailer weight is 5400 lbs for my truck. Short of getting a new truck, what can I do to increase the towing capacity? Thanks for any advice.
Re-gear to 3.73 or 4.10 and get a tune. $500 gears, $300 tune and you're not only increasing your capacity but driveability. You can also go to 3.90 but it's not a GM ratio, rather aftermarket. The only difference between your 5400lbs capacity and the next higher given all the other variables are the same is gearing.
Old 08-10-2011, 11:38 PM   #3
Alaskan SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEEVON View Post
Re-gear to 3.73 or 4.10 and get a tune. $500 gears, $300 tune and you're not only increasing your capacity but driveability. You can also go to 3.90 but it's not a GM ratio, rather aftermarket. The only difference between your 5400lbs capacity and the next higher given all the other variables are the same is gearing.
Thanks, Leevon. So, as I'm not a real 'gearhead', but I can do some relatively simple tasks around my truck, a re-gear involves opening up the rear diff and switching out the gears? Would anything else need to be done, such as calibrating the speedo?
Old 12-10-2011, 10:13 PM   #4
BLE 'BURBAN
In the Forgotten far North.

Yes you would have to recalibrate your speedo to accodimate the new gearing. Check with Hypertech to see if thier power programmer do this for you.
Dave
overhead console Stereo install Round 2 Aug 2009
Heated/turn signal mirror upgrade
BLE 'BURBAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 10:40 PM   #5
Alaskan SS

OK. I'll check with Hypertech. Last question... If I have a certified dealer to the work, would it void my warranty?
Old 12-11-2011, 03:27 AM   #6
BLE 'BURBAN
In the Forgotten far North.

I'd check with the service manager at the dealership on that. If you call my work ask for Todd Nelson(Service Manager) or Tony Glenn(Fixed Ops Manager)
overhead console Stereo install Round 2 Aug 2009
Heated/turn signal mirror upgrade
BLE 'BURBAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 01:10 PM   #7
Alaskan SS

OK. Thanks, Dave!!!

Old 12-16-2011, 02:33 PM   #8
vin63
It's Better With Nitro

Quote:
Keep in mind that the towing capacity is not just the power and gearing, it actually has more to do with the suspension/load capacity (spring rate), braking capacity, E load range tires, and transmission cooling. My question is: what is the weight of the trailer and its tongue or pin weight?
Tubular front and rear suspension
Custom 6-piston front disc and 4-piston rear disc brakes
vin63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 12:19 AM   #9
Bus Ted Knuckle
Son of a gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by vin63 View Post
Keep in mind that the towing capacity is not just the power and gearing, it actually has more to do with the suspension/load capacity (spring rate), braking capacity, E load range tires, and transmission cooling. My question is: what is the weight of the trailer and its tongue or pin weight?
If you look in your manual, it has a chart that lists towing capacities. The only difference in towing capacities (given the same engine, 4x or not, and body style) is the rear gears. It does not list trans cooler or not, breaking capacity or not, etc., just rear gears.

As Leevon said, the difference is in the gears.

BEATERS ARE NEATER
Bus Ted Knuckle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 05:41 PM   #10
Alaskan SS

Thanks, all. The chart in the manual says if I re-gear from 3.42 to 4.10, max trailer weight goes from 5400 to 7400 lbs. My trailer weighs 5380. I'm not sure of the tongue weight. But since the weight is right on the limits of my truck's capabilities, I'm just exploring some options. I really appreciate all the great advice!

Last edited by Alaskan SS; 12-19-2011 at 05:46 PM.
Old 12-20-2011, 11:22 PM   #11
vin63
It's Better With Nitro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bus Ted Knuckle View Post
If you look in your manual, it has a chart that lists towing capacities. The only difference in towing capacities (given the same engine, 4x or not, and body style) is the rear gears. It does not list trans cooler or not, breaking capacity or not, etc., just rear gears.

So, if the tonque weight of the trailer exceeds the payload capacity it's still OK as long as you have the proper gears? That's not exactly safe. The gearing listed is based on the capability of the transmission. Check the equipment differences of the trucks with the HD or towing packages.

I would absolutely determine the tongque weight of your trailer. For a trailer that heavy, assuming your trailer has electric brakes, I would recommend using a brake controller (if not, a surge brake), weight distribution hitch and an anti-sway device, The gearing is not going to make a difference in tongue weight, braking capacity, or trailer sway, etc. Keep in mind, just because the truck can pull something doesn't necessarily mean the truck is able to control the load. I've seen too many people lose control of their trailers, and almost everytime, the out of control rig and trailer has damaged other vehicles around them. Be careful.
Old 12-21-2011, 10:42 AM   #12
Bus Ted Knuckle
Son of a gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by vin63 View Post
So, if the tonque weight of the trailer exceeds the payload capacity it's still OK as long as you have the proper gears?

That is not what I am saying at all.

BEATERS ARE NEATER
Bus Ted Knuckle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 11:39 AM   #13
vin63
It's Better With Nitro

Quote:

Quote:
That is not what I am saying at all.
I'm just trying to make the OP aware that there is a lot more to consider than just gearing to safely pull a 5000+ lbs trailer with a half ton truck since he specifically asked in his original post about "increasing the towing capacity." My two-horse tag trailer with one draft horse weighs in at 5500 lbs and has a tongue weight of 1100 pounds (due to where the axles are located and load location). That would not be safe for a half-ton truck no matter what rear gear.
Old 12-21-2011, 11:33 PM   #14
LEEVON

You're right Vin, don't want to give him misleading information I agree with all of your points. I just wanted to state the simplest way to increase his towing capacity is gearing. A 1/2 ton truck will always be a 1/2 ton truck. If you put two side-by-side one with 3.42 and one with 4.10 given all the other parameters are the same the towing capacity is higher, and easy to figure by looking in the Owner's manual. He may be able to increase to 6500+ lbs capacity in gears alone. Of course some power upgrades, helper bags, trailer brake, etc..would also help. And a transmission cooler is a MUST for any towing.
Old 12-28-2011, 07:24 PM   #15
Alaskan SS

Hey guys. Like I said, I really appreciate the advice. Let's see...

Trans cooler - check. There is one installed on my truck.
Trailer brake - the trailer has electric brakes, and adding this to my truck is an easy fix, and will be installed before I tow the trailer. I towed the trailer to my parent's house with my dad's '97 F-350 Diesel. There it sits until i get it next summer and just keep it at my house.
Tongue weight - The trailer was sold to me with a weight distributing stabilizing hitch, and the max tongue weight with my truck with this style hitch is 1000 lbs, according to the manual. The max payload for my truck, according to the sticker on the B pillar, is right at 1580 lbs. The trailer is a 27' Forest River Cherokee Lite Toy Hauler. I haven't been able to find the exact trailer, but I've done some research on similar trailers by Forest River, and I haven't seen a tongue weight more than 931 lbs. Of course this is a dry weight, so this is definitely something to consider.

Last edited by Alaskan SS; 12-28-2011 at 07:48 PM.
Old 01-14-2012, 01:28 PM   #16
stroker87

Quote:
The trailer was sold to me with a weight distributing stabilizing hitch, and the max tongue weight with my truck with this style hitch is 1000 lbs
its surprised me how fast people tell you to start swapping and changing stuff on your truck

the 4.8 is no monster at towing but its very capable long as your not in a rush, the weight distributing setup dos up your towing capacity some hitches have stickers on them stating this (my 07 suburban is rated 5000lbs and with the weight distributing kit 10000lbs) if I need to prove this to any one I'll take a picture!

weight distributing along with trailer brakes setup properly you can safely tow more then the 5400lbs you truck is rated at, swapping your gear in your rear axle will give you more power to tow but does not up the weight rating of the trucks towing capacity

if you was to install 4.56 gears dos not mean your hitch will handle more weight LOL! only the weight distributing setup can do that because it equalizes the load

with all that said if you take your time and leave your self stopping room you should be able to pull 8 to 10k safely

Last edited by stroker87; 01-14-2012 at 01:52 PM.
stroker87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 11:43 PM   #17
LEEVON

8-10K? Go ahead, see you in the morgue!
Old 01-15-2012, 01:03 AM   #18
stroker87

Quote:
8-10K? Go ahead, see you in the morgue!
^^^^^^^
thats funny stuff

your the guy that said he just needs a gear change & tune but never mentioned NOTHING about weight distributing setup or trailer brakes witch is needed when towing 5000+ lb.

I do A LOT of towing and have been for the last 25 years! I've pulled up to 11,300lbs with my 1/2 ton suburban yeah not recommended but was done just because you have not don't mean it cant be done and my setup was only rated for 10k as long as you use COMMON SENSE have the proper setup it can be done safely within reason

my suburban has rear coil springs witch every one knows its not the best for towing but its rated by GM for 10k with a weight distributing setup keep in mind its a suv "SPORT UTILITY VEHICLE" not a TRUCK so if mine is rated for 10k why cant a truck with leaf springs pull it with a weight distributing do it to?

COMMON SENSE and skill gos along way! i've seen guys by 1 tons dually diesel's that could not pull 7k with out swaying all over the place

pic of the hitch on my subruban

3400lbs 24ft pontoon

6400lbs

7200lbs

Last edited by stroker87; 01-15-2012 at 01:31 AM.
Old 01-15-2012, 04:08 PM   #19
LEEVON

Quote:
Originally Posted by stroker87 View Post
^^^^^^^
thats funny stuff

your the guy that said he just needs a gear change & tune but never mentioned NOTHING about weight distributing setup or trailer brakes witch is needed when towing 5000+ lb.

I do A LOT of towing and have been for the last 25 years! I've pulled up to 11,300lbs with my 1/2 ton suburban yeah not recommended but was done just because you have not don't mean it cant be done and my setup was only rated for 10k as long as you use COMMON SENSE have the proper setup it can be done safely within reason

my suburban has rear coil springs witch every one knows its not the best for towing but its rated by GM for 10k with a weight distributing setup keep in mind its a suv "SPORT UTILITY VEHICLE" not a TRUCK so if mine is rated for 10k why cant a truck with leaf springs pull it with a weight distributing do it to?

COMMON SENSE and skill gos along way! i've seen guys by 1 tons dually diesel's that could not pull 7k with out swaying all over the place
Wrong...I DID mention trailer brakes and no I didn't mention load distributing hitch (although "etc." could encompass any number of ideas including your suggestion). The load hitch is a great way to increase your towing capacity but not the ONLY way...add it to the list. The OP asked if there was anything he could do "short of getting a new truck".

Quote:
You're right Vin, don't want to give him misleading information I agree with all of your points. I just wanted to state the simplest way to increase his towing capacity is gearing. A 1/2 ton truck will always be a 1/2 ton truck. If you put two side-by-side one with 3.42 and one with 4.10 given all the other parameters are the same the towing capacity is higher, and easy to figure by looking in the Owner's manual. He may be able to increase to 6500+ lbs capacity in gears alone. Of course some power upgrades, helper bags, trailer brake, etc..would also help. And a transmission cooler is a MUST for any towing.
The pic you posted has a sticker with the "hitch rating"...which means the HITCH is rated, not the vehicle it's on. A36 steel has a yield strength of 36,000 psi that doesn't mean if I bolt a piece on my truck I can tow more...and what about GVWR?

Friendly advice, please don't jump into threads and start calling people out who are contributing...doesn't work well around here. Telling the OP he can safely tow 10K (now 11,300) with his 1/2 ton with only a load hitch (no you didn't mention brakes either) is wreckless advice IMO and I sure hope he doesn't load up his precious family and try it!

Last edited by LEEVON; 01-15-2012 at 04:22 PM.
LEEVON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 04:50 PM   #20
stroker87

Quote:
The pic you posted has a sticker with the "hitch rating"...which means the HITCH is rated, not the vehicle it's on.
if that was true GM would be in big trouble since it installed at the factory......

11,300lbs I said not recommended

Quote:
Friendly advice, please don't jump into threads and start calling people out who are contributing...
but its ok to tell them see you in the morgue???

I'm done with this......see you in Church LEEVON
Old 01-15-2012, 06:01 PM   #21
67ChevyRedneck
Hittin E-Z Street on Mud Tires

Quote:
Originally Posted by stroker87 View Post
if that was true GM would be in big trouble since it installed at the factory......
Not trying to be an ass, but LEEVON is right on this one. It says right on the sticker, although on yours there is some rust obscuring it:

"Tow vehicle maximum trailer rating may be less." That's how GM saves their ass. They save money by installing the same hitch on a wide range of their trucks/SUVs and put that sticker on it.

My truck's sticker is a little more specific. It says "Tow vehicle maximum trailer rating may be less. See Owner's manual for maximum trailer rating and for more information."
1968 Pontiac Firebird: Project Fire Chicken!
2015 Silverado Double Cab 5.3L Z71
2001 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0L 5spd
2020 Chevrolet Equinox Premium 2.0L Turbo
2011 Mustang V6 ~ Wife's ride
American Born, Country by the Grace of God
1967 CST Shop Truck Rebuild!
My 1967 C-10 Build Thread
My Vintage Air A/C Install
Project "On a Dime"
Trying my hand at Home Renovation!
1965 Mustang Modifications!
67ChevyRedneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 11:40 PM   #22
vin63
It's Better With Nitro

I think everyone had good intentions about the OP's inquiry about increasing his towing capacity...I only jumped in when the discussion was mainly addressing the gearing and an increase in horsepower. Driving for a living in the past, and still pulling a trailer regularly for racing, I see/saw all kinds of accidents as a result of vehicles overloaded...the worst part is that in almost every incident I saw, the overloaded vehicle took out at least one other vehicle next to them. That was why I brought up the tongue weight, braking, load distribution, etc. because a lot of people don't consider those things and get in trouble on the highway when the load starts to sway. And, I absolutely cannot condone pulling 8K to 10K pounds with a half-ton truck because the tongue weight would almost always exceed the payload capacity of the vehicle, if it didn't, I would question the stability...keep in mind that even a load distribution hitch is not going to stop the sway.
Old 01-20-2012, 03:47 PM   #23
stroker87

have any of you noticed the Maximum Trailering Capacity 8900 lbs on the Gm web site for the 2012 1/2 ton truck? most 07 parts still fit the 2012's

dont get me wrong not saying some one with out "experience" should do this but any one who has pulled trailers and has the experience/skill and properly setup equipment would not have any problems pulling 8 to 10k with a 1/2 ton every now and then, now if you was always pulling 10k+ then you should upgrade to a HD truck but for just a few times a year not something I personally would do

BTW..... new F150 (1/2 ton) rated 11,300 when properly equipped
Old 01-20-2012, 10:51 PM   #24
LEEVON

That's more towing capacity than I would guess... it does kind of make my "see you in the morgue" comment sound a little extreme.

Last edited by LEEVON; 01-20-2012 at 11:49 PM.
LEEVON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 02:25 PM   #25
Alaskan SS

Thanks, guys, for all the answers and advice. Problem solved...
Attached Images