The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-30-2009, 12:02 AM   #51
74 C-30
Dually Pride

Re: How about some pics of '73-'87 wrecker, fire, ambulance, etc?

larry, i have always loved the look of that truck, how hefty is the boom? looks small
kinda interesting i just did a quick search and came up with some pictures of that setup, never even used
Attached Images

'74 Chevy C-30 350/4 speed/dually
'94 Ford Ranger
74 C-30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 03:20 AM   #52
DirtyLarry
Windy Corner of a Dirty Street

Quote:
Originally Posted by 74 C-30 View Post
larry, i have always loved the look of that truck, how hefty is the boom? looks small
kinda interesting i just did a quick search and came up with some pictures of that setup, never even used
WOW! That is awesome! I have done all kinds of searches over the years and have never come up with anything on King. I have actually never seen another besides ours.

As far as the boom, it seemed pretty hefty but it did get bent and was reinforced with plate steel. Other than that the whole contraption held up pretty well in almost 20 years of service.

What is the link you found that at? It is hard to believe that one is still new after all these years. That is like a late 70’s relic.
DirtyLarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 10:26 AM   #53
74 C-30
Dually Pride

its for sale on this site $2850 and its yours lol http://tow411.yuku.com/topic/73248/t...n-Bolt-on.html
it was the only thing i really found on them
that boom and the uprights look like a weak link, but i know it was designed for a little garage or something, only light towing

'94 Ford Ranger
Old 12-30-2009, 11:56 AM   #54
DirtyLarry

Quote:
Originally Posted by 74 C-30 View Post
its for sale on this site $2850 and its yours lol http://tow411.yuku.com/topic/73248/t...n-Bolt-on.html
it was the only thing i really found on them
that boom and the uprights look like a weak link, but i know it was designed for a little garage or something, only light towing
WOW! Thanks for that. I am still amazed there is one lying around that is brand new! I just can’t get over it. I never saw another like ours.

The boom and uprights lasted many years before they needed any reinforcements. Back in the day before DOT got so stringent it was nothing to pick up a truck that was 4 times heaver than the tow truck right in front of a cop. Dad used to tow Coka-Cola beverage trucks, Sante Fe hirail trucks, etc with it with no problems. No kidding! It actually could tow heavier vehicles than our 1991 GMC K3500 with a Eagle Claw wheel lift.

The uprights finally bent and where reinforced with square tube in the late 80’s. The weld shop basically slid the uprights into square stock and welded it all together. Then the main boom got thick plate steel welded on all 4 sides. The lever to shift the winch into neutral broke off years when the cable got bound up under the tool box. That still needs to be fixed but everything else was in working order when it was parked. It actually got parked because the old man ran the 427 out of oil and spun the cam bearings! The other bad thing is the truck frame was broke on the RH rear side near the shock mount. It was fish plated many years ago but looks like crap.

$2800 isn’t too bad for a needle in a haystack but the one on our truck is in very restorable shape. Now you got me all fired up to go grab the truck and drag it home to start playing with it. I texted dad this morning to see if I can come get it. Dad and I don't exactly see eye to eye, which is why I don't already have the truck at my house now.

Thanks for sharing that! Almost brings a tear to my eye
Old 12-30-2009, 01:02 PM   #55
Chief Bail

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyLarry View Post
Nice wrecker!
Thank You Dirty and it's kool to see your family history. Are you towing as well as your father. Or enjoying the love of SQUARES??????
1978 GMC Jerr-Dan 454 Tonawanda 4spd FOR SALE
85 Chevy Wrecker 454 4spd AATAC
Always a Friend...Michael

Last edited by Chief Bail; 12-30-2009 at 01:02 PM.
Chief Bail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 04:13 PM   #56
74 C-30
Dually Pride

Quote:
WOW! Thanks for that. I am still amazed there is one lying around that is brand new! I just can’t get over it. I never saw another like ours.

The boom and uprights lasted many years before they needed any reinforcements. Back in the day before DOT got so stringent it was nothing to pick up a truck that was 4 times heaver than the tow truck right in front of a cop. Dad used to tow Coka-Cola beverage trucks, Sante Fe hirail trucks, etc with it with no problems. No kidding! It actually could tow heavier vehicles than our 1991 GMC K3500 with a Eagle Claw wheel lift.

The uprights finally bent and where reinforced with square tube in the late 80’s. The weld shop basically slid the uprights into square stock and welded it all together. Then the main boom got thick plate steel welded on all 4 sides. The lever to shift the winch into neutral broke off years when the cable got bound up under the tool box. That still needs to be fixed but everything else was in working order when it was parked. It actually got parked because the old man ran the 427 out of oil and spun the cam bearings! The other bad thing is the truck frame was broke on the RH rear side near the shock mount. It was fish plated many years ago but looks like crap.

$2800 isn’t too bad for a needle in a haystack but the one on our truck is in very restorable shape. Now you got me all fired up to go grab the truck and drag it home to start playing with it. I texted dad this morning to see if I can come get it. Dad and I don't exactly see eye to eye, which is why I don't already have the truck at my house now.

Thanks for sharing that! Almost brings a tear to my eye
No problem! I love finding this kind of stuff.
Back in the day my dad pulled outrageous loads with the 1ton he drove, and the company also had a junker old Mack with a 750 Holmes, that was so far beyond un-inspectible, yet he made 100 mile trips all the time. Hauled a truck for the state police once, about 40 miles away, and once the way back, a state trooper pulled him over. the truck uninspected, and unregistered (he forgot to grab the dealer plates lol) but the junkyard had so much pull in those days, the cop got chewed out over the radio for harassing my dad, and he let him go. ahh the good ol days...

oh and believe me, that truck you got, makes me want to go out there and get that truck going, I love nostalgic wrecker stuff

'94 Ford Ranger
Old 12-30-2009, 05:14 PM   #57
dmartin1

Quote:
Here are some of my dad's '78 K20 with a "King" slide in wrecker unit for those of you that haven't already seen them. Dad bought it new in late '77 and it saw AAA service until 1997. We still have it although it has been sitting for about 10 years.

When it was brand new. Yep, that is me with our dog "Uniflo".

Picture from 1979 or so in front of our old Exxon station.

About the same time frame. Still missing the front left hub cap too.

About 1991 or 92. Pretty much how it still looks today even though it is been parked.
that thing is AWESOME!
1978 k20 Silverado loaded.currently engine-less
1989 k10 suburban 9" lift
65 nova
And more
dmartin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 06:49 PM   #58
DirtyLarry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Bail View Post
Thank You Dirty and it's kool to see your family history. Are you towing as well as your father. Or enjoying the love of SQUARES??????
Naw, I got out of it when I graduated college in May 1997 I moved to Detroit to work for Chevrolet Motor Division when GM still had divisions. I was able to move back to CO for a factory field service engineer/service manager position back in 2001. Dad retired the shop and wrecker in late 1997, basically IRS shut him down because he wasn’t a very good businessman and handle the money properly. Hence, the reason we don’t see eye to eye. Some people are alcoholics, some are druggies and my dad has a full blown gambling addiction and can’t keep a dime in his pocket for more than 10 minutes in hope of winning “the big one”.

I enjoy the GM trucks in general although I am not in the least bit impressed with GM’s latest truck offerings.

BTW....welcome to the board. I just noticed you are pretty new to the family.
Old 12-30-2009, 07:05 PM   #59
DirtyLarry

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmartin1 View Post
that thing is AWESOME!
I have many more pictures I need to scan in sometime. Here are a few more.

One more before it got the King slide in. Probably around 1978. Behind it is my dad’s friend’s 1976 two tone blue short bed K10.

Me being a crazy high school kid rolling over an old Impala behind the shop just for the sake of…..rolling over an old Impala behind the shop . For some reason, the tool box was moved to the bed floor for a while then moved back where it belonged above the winch. This picture is probably from 1988/89.

A FedEx Ford Econoline I rescued in the mountains around 1994/95.
Old 12-30-2009, 07:45 PM   #60
Chief Bail

Quote:
Naw, I got out of it when I graduated college in May 1997 I moved to Detroit to work for Chevrolet Motor Division when GM still had divisions. I was able to move back to CO for a factory field service engineer/service manager position back in 2001. Dad retired the shop and wrecker in late 1997, basically IRS shut him down because he wasn’t a very good businessman and handle the money properly. Hence, the reason we don’t see eye to eye. Some people are alcoholics, some are druggies and my dad has a full blown gambling addiction and can’t keep a dime in his pocket for more than 10 minutes in hope of winning “the big one”.

I enjoy the GM trucks in general although I am not in the least bit impressed with GM’s latest truck offerings.

BTW....welcome to the board. I just noticed you are pretty new to the family.
Kool and sorry to hear about dads probs. But I agree with the new GM trucks dont Impress me either. But any way yes im a knewbie and have met alot of kool folks.
1978 GMC Jerr-Dan 454 Tonawanda 4spd FOR SALE
85 Chevy Wrecker 454 4spd AATAC
Always a Friend...Michael
Chief Bail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 08:34 PM   #61
DirtyLarry

Chief Bail,

Glad to have you here. No apologies needed…you can’t raise your parents!

Man, these European emergency trucks are interesting to look at. RH drive and all with very nicely sculpted service bodies. Definitely would be neat to look over in person. I would love to make an expedition travel rig out of one of those bodies. I could just vision a roof top tent mounted on that truck sitting in the middle of the desert.

I always loved these Holmes bodies. I built several Monogram model kits over the years with this bed (Monogram made a square 1/25 scale GM truck with this tow bed for those that may not know...I can take pictures if anybody wants to see one ).
Old 12-30-2009, 09:10 PM   #62
74 C-30
Dually Pride

larry, i think i read a while back that truck has 9.00-16 on it, what did you guys do to clear those?
have any of you seen the picture of the world fastest tow truck? i think it was a square body with a holmes, that on a course averaged like 110mph
1979 Chevy Silverado Truck - World's Fastest Wrecker
440 Holmes Hi-Power Wrecker Bed
454 cid V8
Timed at the Talladega 500 Speedway with average speed of 109.33 mph and straight away speed in excess of 130 mph.

'94 Ford Ranger

Last edited by 74 C-30; 12-30-2009 at 09:19 PM.
Old 12-30-2009, 10:11 PM   #63
DirtyLarry

Yes, dad ran 9.00-16’s from the first tire replacement on. In fact, it still has 9.00-16 Gateway Gumbo mudders right now, which were nothing more than a commercial tube type version of Ground Hawgs. He did run Buckshot Q78’s for a short time but went back to Gateway 9.00’s. The truck probably went through 10 pair in its life. Dad swore by them for the snow, which his funny because we don’t get much snow in this part of CO. At least they looked cool. You sure couldn’t sneak up on anybody though…they are LOUD!

The truck wasn’t lifted but the rear springs were reworked with 3 springs added to each side, which probably added an inch or two and the front were re-arched and maybe a spring added, I can’t remember. I do remember the 9.00-16’s did rub the front fenders when hitting an off camber obstacle just right.

Funny about the Q78's, as we had an old one mounted on a 8 lug wheel that I bolted on my truck like 15 years later and I really liked the tall skinny profile and fitment, which is why my '78 has Q78's on it now.

I never saw the World Fastest wrecker before. That is sweet! Something to be said for a truck with the aerodynamics of a drive-in move theater screen averaging 109.33 mph at Talladega! That thing had to sound like the pistons were swapping holes while doing so.
Old 12-30-2009, 10:36 PM   #64
74 C-30
Dually Pride

hah thats funny about the tires. one of our hay wagons has worn to nothing 33" dick cepek fun countrys from his 78 k10...looks pretty cool!

'94 Ford Ranger
Old 03-10-2010, 12:02 AM   #65
BGRAFX
Account Suspended

Fire!
Attached Images

Last edited by BGRAFX; 03-10-2010 at 12:08 AM.
BGRAFX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 12:22 AM   #66
BGRAFX
Account Suspended

wrecker! not mine
Attached Images

Last edited by BGRAFX; 04-30-2010 at 09:11 PM.
Old 03-10-2010, 01:54 AM   #67
Chevytrux4me
Certified Gearhead

Here's mine, it's a '74 Chevy C50 that used to be a fire truck at North Fork, WV. It sold new with a Sears & Roebuck fire truck body. There's one nearly identical to it at another town nearby, still in service today. This one was purchased last year from the department, after being retired, we believe, due to a faulty battery cable. It now has just a bit over 8,000 actual miles on the clock. If all goes well, this one will receive a fleetside bed and dually fenders this spring.
Attached Images

Old 12-07-2010, 12:25 PM   #68
BGRAFX
Account Suspended

Its got a fire truck door!!!
Attached Images

Old 12-07-2010, 06:05 PM   #69
turner16

cool
turner16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 08:46 PM   #70
87 chevy silverado
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGRAFX View Post
Its got a fire truck door!!!
any more pics?
87 chevy silverado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 11:15 PM   #71
lycominghunter

BIG10!!! You just made my night with the picture of that red and white suburban with "Kimberton Fire Co." on the side because I grew up in kimberton. Know exactly where that photo was taken, used to ride dirtbikes there. HAHA awesome pic. thanks
lycominghunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 04:48 PM   #72
chevy_mike
Never Ending Projects

So does my, new to me, ambulance count?

1965 Chevy C10, Long, Fleetside, Hot Rod C10 http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=415702 SOLD

We were given two ears and one mouth for a reason... listen twice as much and speak half as often...
chevy_mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 06:42 PM   #73
GM72K10
Next!

I bid on this but didn't get it. How many times do you see a K30 trash truck?
Attached Images

86 K30 C&C 6.2 4:56s, 4M, 11,000 gvw, ex fire truck, now lowboy dump
More square bodies and CUCVs than I care to admit to
2020 Silverado K3500HD Work truck
GM72K10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 06:43 PM   #74
GM72K10
Next!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevy_mike View Post
So does my, new to me, ambulance count?

Of course it counts!
86 K30 C&C 6.2 4:56s, 4M, 11,000 gvw, ex fire truck, now lowboy dump
More square bodies and CUCVs than I care to admit to
2020 Silverado K3500HD Work truck
GM72K10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 11:41 PM   #75
87Lowrider
Navy Radioman Veteran

My DD; 1986 GMC Jimmy with a 1978 350, RV Cam, Performer, Edelbrock 600, Roller tipped rockers, etc..

Inside

In Action
87Lowrider is offline   Reply With Quote