The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-23-2023, 10:18 AM   #1
hogfarm

Protecting the Running boards

I'm getting to the point on my 54, where is is almost done. Over the years there is starting to show some wear on the Running boards. I'm carful getting in and out of the truck, and not to stand in the running boards, but other are not as carful. Looking for ideas how to protect the paint on the running boards
hogfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2023, 10:32 AM   #2
dsraven

Re: Protecting the Running boards

there is always the rubber or metal overlay where the step tread usually lands. a polished metal tread will likely scuff and not be as shiny where the feet land. you may want something with some anti skid surface so you don't slip off when it really matters
3m clear paint protection film but I would say it will also likely show scuff marks and becone dull where the scuffs are
if you look at aftermarket or OEM running boards or nerf bars, whatever you wanna call them, they usually have some sort of rubber product where the common foot placement lands. if done well that would likely be your best bet. you may be able to find an alternative in a marine supply store since boats are usually slippery when wet so maybe a more common and durable product could be sourced there?
dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2023, 10:41 AM   #3
dsraven

on the nose of my ski boat I used some clear antislip tape meant for showers and bathrooms. it works but attracts dirt and sunscreen oils etc so it has some discolored spots. there are other antiskid tapes meant for industrial use etc that would probably come in clear or possibly something that comes close to your chosen body color? there is also the stick on stuff that is used in fishing boats etc and looks textured like box liner. gator skin maybe? I looked at it but went with the clear tape for bathrooms. possibly not my best choice but it works to keep the grandkids from slipping off.
dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2023, 03:08 PM   #4
leegreen

I've got these aluminum steps I'd like to use, they came off an AD Mapleleaf tandem axle flatbed I found out in the bush many years ago
Name:  Capture.jpg
Views: 231
Size:  30.6 KB

Problem is the one off drivers side is worn so much the logo is gone. Passenger side in picture has a couple corners broken off and now filled with bondo to use as a pattern.

I need to get setup to do some casting or farm them out.
leegreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2023, 03:12 PM   #5
mongocanfly
Post Whore

The 3m paint protection film is the best option..
The paint on the rockers of my 2013 was worn completely off from getting in and out..I wish I'd used it on it..

RIP Dad
RIP Jesse

1981 C30 LQ9 NV4500..http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=753598
Mongos AD- LS3 TR6060...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...34#post8522334
Columbus..the 1957 IH 4x4...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...63#post8082563
2023 Chevy Z71..daily driver
mongocanfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2023, 01:47 AM   #6
mr48chev

That is one of the biggest battles with nice paint on a truck if you have color matched running boards.

That was about the only thing my dad and I ever battled over in my life, He always wore cowboy boots because he thought the higher heels made him look taller but had a real bad habit of standing beside the truck with one foot on the running board in one of those 40's stand beside the car poses.

I used to carry a carpet square that I got somewhere in the truck to set on the passenger side running board for people to get in and out. A rubber backed thing that I picked up at a discount flooring store one day. I finally put a piece of cord on it so my wife could set it on the running board and then pull it up in the truck and close the door.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2023, 11:23 AM   #7
_Ogre

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongocanfly View Post
The 3m paint protection film is the best option..
The paint on the rockers of my 2013 was worn completely off from getting in and out..I wish I'd used it on it..
i used 3M paint protection film on the steps of my truk with good success
i'm a gimp and always have my feet on the steps of truk
every new vehicle uses a version of this film for rock chips in front of the wheel wells. i wish i had applied a lot more on truk

how to put your truck year and build thread into your signature
shop air compressor timer
_Ogre is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2023, 06:08 PM   #8
jweb

I have the paint protection film on mine. I had planned to just step over the running boards but it's been really nice for shorter people to step on. I've had it on for about 2 years, there are a few small bubbles that have always been there but it holds up great.

I agree with Orge, I wish a had more of it on the truck but it's difficult with all of the curves on these old trucks
1953 Westerner "canned ham" trailer, rebuilt
1974 Prowler trailer, rebuilt
jweb is offline   Reply With Quote