The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-09-2017, 02:23 AM   #1
87Skier

What do you think about traction control, ABS, etc...

I've been frequenting a mountain pass recently, and have been thinking about some of the newer safety features. I've never considered myself to be an overly cautious driver or a slow one, but when driving over the pass, I usually have people tailgating or catching up to me frequently. This is usually in the areas between snow covered and wet areas, so they are usually slick and unprepared roadway.

I can't believe how fast other drivers were going. I had people stacking up behind me, while waiting for the next pullout (which I use frequently). This is all while I lose traction slowing for corners and sliding around. Normally, I would blame my tires, but having used these tires in similar conditions without issue, I can't see how anyone else's tires perform that much better.

This leads me to believe that these other vehicles probably have traction control, abs, and a bunch of other safety features, that prevents them from feeling what is actually going on.

What do you guys think? Anyone have traction control and other systems that really make a difference?
87Skier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 08:05 AM   #2
mongocanfly
Post Whore

Re: What do you think about traction control, ABS, etc...

I have traction control on my 13 gmc..it works..i was driving on a gravel road and went around a washboarded curve a little to fast..my truck broke loose and started to skid/bounce sideways...I was just going to ride it out when all of a sudden it straightened itself up with the brakes or something and slowed down..I was impressed..on the other hand my s10 blazer has antilock brakes that nearly killed me one time..on our hunting club there is a road coming down a big muddy hill..when the wheels started sliding the brakes started relasing or whatever they do..by the time I got to the bottom of the hill I was doing about 40..I immediately pulled the antilock brake fuse..never had any more rides like that..
mongocanfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 12:06 PM   #3
turp mcspray

I hate all that stuff.
My Blazer build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342299
turp mcspray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 12:09 PM   #4
truckster

My wife's Highlander Hybrid has all that stuff. I guess it's good for her, because she doesn't really know how to control a vehicle in the snow. I personally don't think that ABS is as good as a well-trained driver.
truckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 12:33 PM   #5
67ChevyRedneck
Hittin E-Z Street on Mud Tires

Yes, it all works.

There's other things you have you consider as well, such as weight and center of gravity. Vehicles are much heavier and lower to the ground than they used to be. They're also stiffer with much better suspensions, especially cars.

My wifes 2011 V6 Mustang can obliterate my 65 V8 Mustang in every category there is. Ride, handling, braking, control, power. Same with my C10 and 2015 Z71, it's literally night and day.
1968 Pontiac Firebird: Project Fire Chicken!
2015 Silverado Double Cab 5.3L Z71
2001 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0L 5spd
2020 Chevrolet Equinox Premium 2.0L Turbo
2011 Mustang V6 ~ Wife's ride
American Born, Country by the Grace of God
1967 CST Shop Truck Rebuild!
My 1967 C-10 Build Thread
My Vintage Air A/C Install
Project "On a Dime"
Trying my hand at Home Renovation!
1965 Mustang Modifications!
67ChevyRedneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 12:58 PM   #6
Coley

You just can't compare new vehicle technology with the level in our trucks....that's just the way it is.
The newer vehicles are drastically safer and improved in so many ways that we now take for granted. They are faster, quieter, better built, safer, more economic, more powerful.....sigh....simple fact of life.
That said tho'....one thing they are not is unique, cool or overly interesting or individual in appearance, or even good looking for that matter.
That is why we are all here sharing the classic truck hobby.....and not the 2012 Toyota Camry blog....lol, and hopefully there isn't one of those.
If you stand back the next time you are at parking lot is amazing how similar the cars all look now....and how 90% of them are all even in the same color group...ie: silver, white or black.
On top of that...the appearance as defined by everyone reaching the same wind tunnel conclusions....which is increasingly potato shaped.
Nothing quite as boring as a road full of silver potatoes.....(but they are safer)...lol

Coley
2005 Chevy Silverado HD2500/Duramax
2000 Dodge Ram 1500
Coley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 03:18 PM   #7
truckster

ABS is designed to keep the average driver safer than he/she would be otherwise, because most people will slam on the brakes in an emergency situation.

A well-trained driver is safer without ABS, because all ABS does is interrupt the hydraulic pressure to the brakes. That results in a loss of feedback and a SLOWER stop.

Yes, cars are generally safer than they were a couple of generations ago, particularly with crumple zones that are designed to absorb the energy from a collision. But the most important safety factor in any vehicle is still the driver.
Old 01-11-2017, 04:23 AM   #8
87Skier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coley View Post
You just can't compare new vehicle technology with the level in our trucks....that's just the way it is.
The newer vehicles are drastically safer and improved in so many ways that we now take for granted. They are faster, quieter, better built, safer, more economic, more powerful.....sigh....simple fact of life.
That said tho'....one thing they are not is unique, cool or overly interesting or individual in appearance, or even good looking for that matter.
That is why we are all here sharing the classic truck hobby.....and not the 2012 Toyota Camry blog....lol, and hopefully there isn't one of those.
If you stand back the next time you are at parking lot is amazing how similar the cars all look now....and how 90% of them are all even in the same color group...ie: silver, white or black.
On top of that...the appearance as defined by everyone reaching the same wind tunnel conclusions....which is increasingly potato shaped.
Nothing quite as boring as a road full of silver potatoes.....(but they are safer)...lol

Coley
My brothers and I often joke about the "bloated" nature of today's cars. They've lost their shape, and to me look like they took a car from ten years ago and set of a small explosion inside and BAM new car.

I assure you, a 2012 Toyota Camry forum does exist, but I highly doubt they do much more than troubleshoot and discuss which engine is best for their camry, the "Gallo 12 or the Gallo 24?" (I'll let you google that one).

I've driven quite a few vehicles over the passed couple years, and feel increasing removed from the driving experience. I haven't had too many run-ins with traction control. One of my vehicles has ABS, but I've never been in a situation that ABS would have been the difference.

I agree with the safer, quieter, smoother, but more powerful? In terms of 70's numbers to 2010's numbers, I agree, but in terms of what's in them now. I say we have a leg up there.

Truckster makes a good point: It's good for people who don't know what they are doing.

This is exactly what scares me though. People who don't know what they are doing, don't realize they are on the verge of losing control, then they are out of control doing 360's down the interstate.
87Skier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 04:56 AM   #9
treveiger

The newer vehicles give a false state of comfort. They feel safe inside the vehicle regardless of speed or conditions. Ever done 100mph in a newer Yukon vs a late 60s Chevy truck? You feel/hear the road and other vehicles in the older truck. In the Yukon it's like your sitting in your living room playing a video game. I personally hate abs and traction control because of the fact it takes the skill and awareness out of driving. I've seen several cases where abs has caused accidents because they are overly sensitive.
Old 01-12-2017, 10:25 AM   #10
nibulus

Quote:
Originally Posted by treveiger View Post
... I personally hate abs and traction control because of the fact it takes the skill and awareness out of driving. ...
True, if you don't actively "train driving", e.g. by turning those assisting systems off.

I sometimes turn off ESP just to keep up various "driving skills" (which I -like most men- think are above average ).

However, this Tuesday we had a couple degrees above zero degrees Celcius during the day. It rained. Then around 6 p.m. the temperature dropped quite fast below freezing point and the roads turned REALLY icy. That evening I had to get from point a to point b with my 3-year-old son, I was a bit tired and absolutely not in the mood/constiution of "practicing real driving". It has never been so relieving to have ESP (which is IMO a seriously good safety feature), knowing it keeps the car on track if something unexpected was to happen.

Now as I think about it...one more sign of getting old...
nibulus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 12:59 PM   #11
leddzepp

I pulled the ABS fuse on my 01 Yukon years ago, got tired of it malfunctioning and all the expenses when having to fix it. Best thing I ever did.

1968 C/10 50th Anniversary LWB. Unrestored, stock, daily driver/work truck.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 01:10 PM   #12
JON67
Lootie Stole My Truck

I sometimes will turn the traction control off on my Xterra after it rains, to see if I can drift around corners without tipping. haven't tipped yet. haven't really drifted yet either though.
JON67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 01:21 PM   #13
truckster

Quote:
Originally Posted by leddzepp View Post
I pulled the ABS fuse on my 01 Yukon years ago, got tired of it malfunctioning and all the expenses when having to fix it. Best thing I ever did.
I spent over $3,000 to fix the ABS on my wife's Highlander Hybrid - that's parts only, since I did all the work. The dealer couldn't even figure out what was wrong with it.
Old 01-12-2017, 01:26 PM   #14
Coley

I just don't get into that many situations where traction control comes into play I guess.
Like every man alive....I'm pretty sure I'm a good driver....lol.
The window on driving skill tho'...might be shifting...and definitely not expanding. Its all you can do now (in North America) to get a standard/manual transmission...even in a sports car.
These are much harder to control with technology than automatic based cars.
One bad thing about the new technology is that is has given a lot of 'average drivers' over confidence in their vehicles and their speed.
In snowy, icy conditions you see people running full highway speed in 4wd/suv's....with 'all season' tires.....lol.....I'm serious here and I just can't believe this.
Somehow, somewhere these people believe that 4wd/Awd is going to perhaps stop them faster?....or save them or?
You would think given the amazing technology that insurance rates would be very low because no one had accidents any more...lol, although that doesn't seem to be the case.

Coley
2005 Chevy Silverado HD2500/Duramax
2000 Dodge Ram 1500
Coley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 01:56 PM   #15
TJ's Chevy
Post Whore

This is my traction control.
Attached Images

TJ's Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 01:40 AM   #16
nibulus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ's Chevy View Post
This is my traction control.
Haha. It sure is easy to replace. Atleast now. "Turning it off" takes a bit of time, though....
nibulus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 08:22 AM   #17
special-K
Special Order

The more safety features they add to cars the more dangerous drivers become. For every action there is an equal and opposite counter reaction and that is it. Anyone who needs all that should simply finish learning how to drive and start learning how to understand the principles involved with driving. What's keeping those people out of accidents is pure luck, which can change in the next mile of driving. Defensive driving takes paying attention... which makes you more aware of your own actions

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 08:33 AM   #18
Grumpy old man

Speed limits are merely a suggestion around here ,with abs,traction control, collision avoidance, airbags ... their chasing each other down the road at 85mph 10 feet apart while talking on the phone,twiting,instagraming or whatever else you can do on a phone ? Nowadays their all just along for the ride .Their not drivers ...

How did we ever survive before cell phones and the internet ?
Grumpy old man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 02:59 PM   #19
mongocanfly
Post Whore

I hear ya grumpy..I've got friends that their whole life would shut down if something happened to their phones. I've got one friend that drives about 10 miles out of his way home from work because there's no phone service going thru the cove..and its only 2 miles long!!!
We must have some of the same people here that you got driving up in tn...I see it every day..it makes me drive defensively...think its bad now wait til all these self driving cars hit the road
mongocanfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 11:03 PM   #20
special-K
Special Order

The dumbing down of society when the answer is better awareness.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote