The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-19-2015, 10:53 AM   #26
Mator

Re: Retrosound Model Two Install and Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z10 View Post
Great write up! I just finished installing a model 2 over the weekend with the help of my buddy. Pretty straight forward and lot's of functionality and expansion capability. I'll be posting a more detailed write up on my build site, if anyone is interested. We used Custom Audio Sound speaker boxes under the seat for bass and midrange and JBL tweeters mounted on the corners of the dash.

This thing punches above it's class.
I also just installed this unit and I am looking for speakers, where did you get the powered subs? Thanks not trying to highjack. Sorry
Mator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 11:50 PM   #27
Z10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mator View Post
I also just installed this unit and I am looking for speakers, where did you get the powered subs? Thanks not trying to highjack. Sorry
Mator,

They are not powered subs, just speaker enclosures. Here's a link on eBay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Undercover-I...-/261413905048

1979 Pontiac Trans Am WS6 & 1979 Pontiac Trans Am 10th Anniversary
1999 Honda Valkyrie
2006 Corvette Z06
2010 BMW 650i
Z10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 02:29 PM   #28
GoaterAz

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbosprint View Post
Here are some photos I took of my Retro Sound install (Retro Classic RC900C). I believe it is the same mounting as the Model 2. The brackets are universal, so you just have to figure out some way to put it together with the parts in the box. I hope this helps others figure it out faster than me.

Wiring was no different than any other car stereo. I got battery power off the cigarette lighter, accessory from power to the old radio, and I added a ground wire to the speaker mount bracket. The dual voice coil dash speaker is connected to the R and L front channel. I put the aux cable through the ash tray so I can listen to MP3s from my phone. With the wiring harness done, I tested the radio before installing in the dash.

I attached the 'InfiniMount' brackets to only the front holes of the radio, slid all the way towards the back in the slots of the bracket. This puts the bracket supporting the radio closest to the dash. Then the posts were attached to the middle slot of the brackets (nut/washer/bracket/washer/nut) with the first nut roughly in the middle of the threads. This determines how far the knobs stick out of the dash. Center them with the holes of the bezel for side to side adjustment.

The third photo shows how I used big plastic washers between the brackets and the bezel. Then the dash goes next. There were some slightly cupped plastic washers that fit the holes in the dash. I used those and a thin washer and nut to attach the front of the radio to the dash. (Note: You will have to make sure the posts stick out of the dash far enough to get a nut on the end of the threads, this may require adjusting the post forward or back. Also, be careful with the bezel, it is easy to scratch going in and out for all the test fitting.)

Now that it fit to the dash, I mounted the backstrap to the speaker mount bracket (also a good time to be careful not to scratch the bezel). Then I cut down the rubber post covers and put on the knobs. Plug in the wiring harness and turn it on!

Disclaimer: This is just how I did it. Please don't take this as the only right way it can be installed.
This helped greatly, thank you for the write up!

I wanted to share a picture that may help others with the InfiniMount brackets (I initially misread the instructions above). You will only be using the two forward-most screw holes on the radio body with only the two rear-most slots on the InfiniMount brackets. Picture below, the top of the picture is the front of the radio.

Secondly, the biggest potential hassle in all of this is the radio-knob post adjustment, the instructions above were spot on! I threaded the initial nut on the post one-thread past half-way and it worked out very well, you could probably do exactly half-way and be perfect.

As stated, be very careful installing the radio to the dash, the chrome bezel is tightly secured in the main radio opening and the corners of this bezel will scratch/chip your paint (mine did on three corners, probably because the layers of paint made the opening 'smaller', nothing a sharpie couldn't fix! LOL).

The $20 screen protector, look fantastic from 5-10 feet away, they are just a thick sticker and not 100% exact the same size as the radio face, nor would stick 100% around the edges, oh well. Maybe I was just expecting too much.

When both knobs were installed, the forward most knobs looked like they stuck too far out and the gap between the front and rear knob felt like it was too much, nothing to do with the adjustment of the posts. Once the rubber post covers were cut down and installed between the two knobs, it looks much more acceptable, I just wanted to point that out.

Thanks again for the write up!
Attached Images

Me neither.
GoaterAz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 06:08 PM   #29
dme922

Am i missing something or do i need to adjust my studs in
Attached Images

dme922 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 06:49 PM   #30
Z10

Adjust your stud depth. I'll try and take a pic of mine when I go over to my shop across town.

1999 Honda Valkyrie
2006 Corvette Z06
2010 BMW 650i
Old 05-24-2017, 07:25 PM   #31
57larry

does a hidden antenna work well with this radio?
57larry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 01:34 AM   #32
Z10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 57larry View Post
does a hidden antenna work well with this radio?
I'm not using a hidden antenna, but I am using a interior windshield mount and it works fine.
1999 Honda Valkyrie
2006 Corvette Z06
2010 BMW 650i
Old 06-09-2017, 05:45 PM   #33
Maximus

FYI, there are apparently two different bezel options with the 67-72 trucks, mine didnt extend to the arms, only surrounded the display, and extends alot more into the cab. i like it! helps keep it even with the knobs alot more! I just dont know if they offer this bezel anymore...

My unit is a Model 2, i think they were discontinued and replaced with new names?? anyways, they still sell this bezel on the new units with fancy names like Hermosa (cheaper unit) and Long Beach (equivalent to Model 2)

my unit part number is RetroSound M2CB-119-03-73

Here is mine placed in my K5, not wired yet but sitting in the dash.

UPDATE: I contacted Retrosound about my Bezel, apparently my bezel is the corvette bezel, #108, they used to offer it with the 67-72 truck radios but no longer do? The 108 bezel is available at this site if you want to have a radio extend into the cab a little more to line it up with the knobs...
https://www.retromanufacturing.com/p...ant=7979753859
the standard 67-72 unit is "119" which is weird, since 119 was in my part number.....

Last edited by Maximus; 06-09-2017 at 06:28 PM.
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2017, 01:46 PM   #34
Ramjet51

Maximus....could you upload a photo other than photo bucket? I just can’t see that format for some reason....
Old 12-25-2017, 08:43 PM   #35
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramjet51 View Post
Maximus....could you upload a photo other than photo bucket? I just can’t see that format for some reason....

He hasn't been on the board since 8/14/2017. He may log on one of these days but it may be a while.....

The reason you can't see the pictures is because photobust started charging big $ to let people post their pictures on any forums.

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 08:32 PM   #36
code522

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetroMfgWil View Post
Great install pics Jimbosprint!

Yes the Model 2, Zuma/Hermosa and the RC(RetroSound Classic) all have the same radio body and mounting brackets. For others that that dont have the radio yet, the "InfiniMount" brackets allow you to make your adjustments on fitting the radio to your dash. As each car fitment is different, this allows adjustment depending on clearances and space.
Im installing the version 2 now and ordered the bezel and knobs but need the plastic cup washers as shown above. Do you sell those ??
code522 is offline   Reply With Quote