The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevy/GMC Suburbans & Panels Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-09-2015, 12:39 AM   #1
rod1701

Rocker help!

My 70 Suburban has some rust issues. Knew it when I bought it and have been plugging away at it for some time now. Finally hit a wall though. From the little history and piecing together how things look, Rusty broke down and was left under a tree or out in the rain for quite a while before someone got him moving again. Tons of rust along drip rails, mostly between top of windshield and headliner. Worst part is on passenger side (all sunvisor and mirror mounting spots have rusted away). Looks like water dripped down and pooled at passenger floor against kick panel door and rocker. On top of that at some point looks like it was driven over a log and the rocker was crushed from underneath on that side.

Rusted all the way through the kick panel, inner and outer rocker, floor, cross brace for the front of the cab, and part of the mount. See attached pics. The channel where the weather strip attaches is missing about 18". Now I have been able to weld in a couple of patch panels in the drivers floor and lower quarters behind the wheel opening but this is lots of metal and several intersecting pieces that need to line up and work correctly for the door to open and close in the end.

What have I gotten myself into? What is this going to end up costing me?
Attached Images

Old 06-09-2015, 12:56 PM   #2
Tinkermc

Re: Rocker help!

You need a parts truck to control cost of repair, very time consuming repairs to do. Don't give in .
Tinkermc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 11:34 PM   #3
rod1701

Re: Rocker help!

So found this online for $65. Then the outer rocker for another $30. A couple of additional floor patches may pull this together a little better than I originally though.
Attached Images