The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Electrical

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-07-2020, 07:44 PM   #1
SBPage1

1961 Chevy C30 Stakebed Turn Signals

I’ve looked high and low to find a thread that could help, so here I go with a new one.
New turn signal parts in steering wheel, new signal stat, new harnesses front and rear. I initially got all the lights to come on, but wouldn’t blink. The signal stat was missing, so I replaced it. When I do, the left front turn signal comes on...even with the signal is in neutral position.

Any advice?
SBPage1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 08:49 PM   #2
ray_mcavoy

Re: 1961 Chevy C30 Stakebed Turn Signals

Signal-Stat was a company that manufactured lights, switches, flasher relays, etc. and was bought by Truck-Lite several years ago. So when you say you "replaced the signal stat", I assume you're talking about the flasher relay, correct?

If so, check the part number / rating to make sure it is correct for your application. The electromechanical type flasher relays have a bi-metallic strip inside that heats up as current (drawn by the bulbs) flows through. When that strip heats up, it bends and opens a set of electrical contacts, cutting off power to the bulbs. With no current flowing, the strip cools back off and the contacts close again. This cycle repeats, causing the bulbs to flash. But if there isn't enough current flowing, the bulbs will just be lit steady and not flash (or sometimes flash really slowly). That can happen if one of the two bulbs isn't working. Or if low current LED bulbs are installed. Or if a flasher meant for a 4-bulb hazard flasher circuit is used in a 2-bulb turn signal circuit.

If I remember correctly, the early 60's steering columns have an external turn signal switch that's actuated by a small push-pull cable. So your left front turn signal staying on even when the lever is in the neutral position might simply be a switch adjustment issue.
ray_mcavoy is offline   Reply With Quote