The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-05-2011, 01:16 PM   #1
C-10 simplex
Account Suspended

How to put in a fuel shutoff?

How would you go about putting in a fuel shutoff?

NOte: this is intended to be a security device on a carbed car.
C-10 simplex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 02:05 PM   #2
Psycho71

Re: How to put in a fuel shutoff?

Well, on a carbed vehicle the bowls on the carb will hold a certain amount of fuel, so the engine will still crank, it just won't go far w/o additional fuel. To install a shut off in the system, you'd need some type of solenoid in the fuel supply line, then have it wired toa switch of some kind to turn it on or off. But then if the solenoid ever fails, you will be stranded.

I suppose it could be done with a manual valve too. In this case all you'd need is the valve, and desired location along the fuel supply line somewhere. Then install it. I'd think a marine supplier would have a few options for the valve itself. Someone like West Marine maybe?

For security purposes, I'd put some kind of switch in the ignition circuit. Much easier, less expensive, and reliable. If HEI ignition, all you have to do is break the power supply to the ignition. Much more practical in my opinion.

If a hammer doesn't fix it, you have an electrical problem!

Slot Cars, 1:24 Scale, 100MPH@100,000RPM, fastest things on wheels!

Last edited by Psycho71; 06-05-2011 at 02:08 PM.
Psycho71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 04:14 PM   #3
C-10 simplex
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho71 View Post
Well, on a carbed vehicle the bowls on the carb will hold a certain amount of fuel, so the engine will still crank, it just won't go far w/o additional fuel. To install a shut off in the system, you'd need some type of solenoid in the fuel supply line, then have it wired toa switch of some kind to turn it on or off. But then if the solenoid ever fails, you will be stranded.

I suppose it could be done with a manual valve too. In this case all you'd need is the valve, and desired location along the fuel supply line somewhere. Then install it. I'd think a marine supplier would have a few options for the valve itself. Someone like West Marine maybe?

For security purposes, I'd put some kind of switch in the ignition circuit. Much easier, less expensive, and reliable. If HEI ignition, all you have to do is break the power supply to the ignition. Much more practical in my opinion.
How?
C-10 simplex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 01:07 AM   #4
orbot

plumbing for the shut off valve would be some work, is it a track truck??

you can cut the power to the HEI coil by adding a switch in line with the power wire heading to the coil, do you have a spark box in the truck? if so theres a wire you can ground through a switch and when ever its grounded the truck will never turn on
orbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 04:59 AM   #5
COBALT

That's what I was thinking. Just interrupt the 12v wire to the distributor in some hard-to see place, then run your switch to somewhere only you know about. For points one could interrupt the resister wire from the distributor to the coil.
Seattle, WA.

Last edited by COBALT; 06-06-2011 at 04:59 AM.
COBALT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 04:30 AM   #6
BigDan3131

Another option is a keyed battery disconnect killing all power or a level style switch.
BigDan3131 is offline   Reply With Quote