The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-16-2010, 06:44 AM   #1
alden

throttle cable location? ('59 235)

I'm completely carburetor ignorant and am trying to figure out where the throttle cable is supposed to attach to the carb. Both my throttle and choke cables were detached and seized when the truck was delivered but I've managed to figure out the choke. I think I can see where the throttle cable sheath is supposed to clamp behind the carb (vertically right near where the choke cable clamps?) but I can't figure out where the wire is supposed to hook on. I looked through the assembly manual but couldn't find anything that pointed to the location of the cables. Does anyone have a picture of the cable locations?

Here's what I've got at present if this helps at all

Also an aside, my truck didn't have a throttle return spring so I picked one up but couldn't find the factory hook location at the bottom end, so I just hooked it to the lip of the oilpan, is this right on the 59's?

Thanks!
Alden
alden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 12:53 PM   #2
OrrieG

Re: throttle cable location? ('59 235)

The stock bracket at the carb is a complicated shape that holds the throttle and choke 90 degrees to each other. It is held in place by two of the carb top/bottom screws. I gave the last one I had to someone here and do not have a picture of one. I would make a bracket that uses a pan bolt and slot to hold the return spring(s). I always run a pair because I've had them break over time.

Last edited by OrrieG; 05-16-2010 at 12:54 PM.
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 01:05 PM   #3
alden

Yeah that bracket is there, and I figured the throttle cable goes in the bracket that goes up/down, but I'm pulling the total noob card and wondering what does the cable actually hook into, i.e. where does the cable stop?

Here's a better shot:

Thanks!
Old 05-16-2010, 04:50 PM   #4
Joeys Toy

Lets see if I can make this clear as mud. Would take a picture but my 56 is sitting in a pasture about 200 miles away.

The throttle cable will go down through the bracket. The cotter pin will need to be removed from the accelarator linkage and the throttle wire will run through the hole. You will need to go to the auto parts store and get a cable or wire clamp from the "HELP" section. the ones I have seen look like small brass tubes with a screw threaded into one end. There will be a hole in the middle of the tube to run the wire through then tighten the screw against the wire. Put the clamp on the wire below the acc. pedal linkage. When you work the pedal the linkage will slide up and down the throttle cable wire. When you pull the throttle cale out, it will pull the accelerator pedal down. If this doesn't help, I will try to get the engine back in my 53 GMC this week and will take pictures. Uses a different carb but same hook up.

Brian
Joeys Toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 08:17 PM   #5
alden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeys Toy View Post
Lets see if I can make this clear as mud. Would take a picture but my 56 is sitting in a pasture about 200 miles away.

The throttle cable will go down through the bracket. The cotter pin will need to be removed from the accelarator linkage and the throttle wire will run through the hole. You will need to go to the auto parts store and get a cable or wire clamp from the "HELP" section. the ones I have seen look like small brass tubes with a screw threaded into one end. There will be a hole in the middle of the tube to run the wire through then tighten the screw against the wire. Put the clamp on the wire below the acc. pedal linkage. When you work the pedal the linkage will slide up and down the throttle cable wire. When you pull the throttle cale out, it will pull the accelerator pedal down. If this doesn't help, I will try to get the engine back in my 53 GMC this week and will take pictures. Uses a different carb but same hook up.

Brian

That clears it up, thanks!
Old 05-16-2010, 08:45 PM   #6
sgtusmc

Here you go man, I hope this helps. It's my 59. Let me know if you need any other shots.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...hlight=sgtusmc
U.S. Marines - Certified Counselors to the 72 Virgins Dating Club.
sgtusmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 07:32 PM   #7
alden

cool thanks!
Old 05-21-2010, 06:24 AM   #8
alden

I got a little clamp for the wire but now I've run into another problem. The pin that the wire goes through on the throttle rod wants to pull out (which is why the nail was stuck in there as you can see in the pictures above). The cable keeps the pin from popping out, but because of the pressure the throttle cable doesn't slide up or down very easily in the hole and started to get crimped almost immediately after installing it - rendering it useless. Is there supposed to be something else there to hold the rod pin in place so the throttle cable will just slide up and down smoothly without the sideways pressure?

If that doesn't make sense I can try to take a picture or draw a diagram of what I'm trying to convey tonight.

Thanks!