The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-18-2016, 06:57 AM   #1
WOLFMANmike

cylinder heads

Can anyone tell me what this casting mark means ? I've never seen one just bare like this
Attached Images

WOLFMANmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 09:02 AM   #2
68post

Re: cylinder heads

Could be an aftermarket head. You could pull a valve cover to look for more evidence.
94 K1500 lifted shortbed 350 4 bbl NV4500
68post is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 01:59 PM   #3
storm9c1
*** That's interesting ***

I agree, even the GM "over the counter" replacement heads have been without the standard casting marks. Even though it looks blank, the U shape pattern for the stud bosses could be construed as a casting mark as well. In the end, the numbers will tell the truth.
2011 Chevy Caprice PPV 9C3 6.0L
1995 Chevy Caprice 9C1
1994 Chevy Caprice 9C1 #3
1995 Chevy Caprice Wagon #2
1995 Chevy Impala SS
Mopar by night...
1969 Dodge Charger
1972 Chrysler Newport 2dr Hardtop (27K miles)

Plus others...
storm9c1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 05:21 PM   #4
WOLFMANmike

Quote:
Originally Posted by storm9c1 View Post
I agree, even the GM "over the counter" replacement heads have been without the standard casting marks. Even though it looks blank, the U shape pattern for the stud bosses could be construed as a casting mark as well. In the end, the numbers will tell the truth.
Hope this helps you guys to help me
Attached Images

Old 02-18-2016, 05:29 PM   #5
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

Straight from www.mortec.com

33417369...90-up...350..........Gen.I Goodwrench crate motor,"Hecho en Mexico", 76cc

Gary

My 1972 GMC 1500 Super Custom (Creeping Death) "long term" build thread.

The Rebuild of Creeping Death after the wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I would never rebuild a 305.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.
GASoline71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 05:40 PM   #6
WOLFMANmike

Quote:
Originally Posted by GASoline71 View Post
Straight from www.mortec.com

33417369...90-up...350..........Gen.I Goodwrench crate motor,"Hecho en Mexico", 76cc

Gary
OK so in other words they are junk then ? I admit I was pretty up set to see Mexico stamped on it ...lol
Old 02-18-2016, 05:59 PM   #7
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

Just cuz they were made in Mexico doesn't necessarily mean they are junk. They are just stock open chamber crate engine heads.

Gary

Quote:
Quote:
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.
Old 02-18-2016, 06:11 PM   #8
WOLFMANmike

Quote:
Just cuz they were made in Mexico doesn't necessarily mean they are junk. They are just stock open chamber crate engine heads.

Gary
I was just meaning that they are not good for performance. .. and not made in the US as in old heads .... I'm guessing they low compression smog pig heads ..... doing some online digging. .. sounds like I need some 041 heads now I have to try to find them cheaply lol
Old 02-18-2016, 06:51 PM   #9
68c10owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by WOLFMANmike View Post
I was just meaning that they are not good for performance. .. and not made in the US as in old heads .... I'm guessing they low compression smog pig heads ..... doing some online digging. .. sounds like I need some 041 heads now I have to try to find them cheaply lol
you might be better off looking at Summit`s "fuelie head" replacement. Cant remember what they actually call it but its a 65cc head. There are also plenty of other heads available that would probably be cheaper to buy then to pay for a core set of 041 heads and a full rebuild on them. i had $1000 into my old set of 041`s and this was in the early 90`s. never again.
Old 02-18-2016, 07:02 PM   #10
WOLFMANmike

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68c10owner View Post
you might be better off looking at Summit`s "fuelie head" replacement. Cant remember what they actually call it but its a 65cc head. There are also plenty of other heads available that would probably be cheaper to buy then to pay for a core set of 041 heads and a full rebuild on them. i had $1000 into my old set of 041`s and this was in the early 90`s. never again.
Ouch damn ..... is it true that I have to rebuild my engine before putting on new heads ? My engine don't smoke . But someone told if I put new heads on I'll blow up my engine sounded strange to me but I thought ide ask anyway
Old 02-18-2016, 07:07 PM   #11
68c10owner

Quote:
Ouch damn ..... is it true that I have to rebuild my engine before putting on new heads ? My engine don't smoke . But someone told if I put new heads on I'll blow up my engine sounded strange to me but I thought ide ask anyway
Not exactly guaranteed but it can happen. If you take a worn out engine and then put some performance heads on it that boost the compression up or other performance parts that increase the power most people will start putting their foot into it more than when it was stock. A worn out engine cant always handle the new abuse. We use to have a mileage limit when hot rodding Harleys because guys would blow out the lower end.

Was your engine rebuilt? Do you know how many miles are on it? Is there a performance camshaft already in the engine? What is it that you are trying to do?
Old 02-18-2016, 07:16 PM   #12
WOLFMANmike

Quote:
Not exactly guaranteed but it can happen. If you take a worn out engine and then put some performance heads on it that boost the compression up or other performance parts that increase the power most people will start putting their foot into it more than when it was stock. A worn out engine cant always handle the new abuse. We use to have a mileage limit when hot rodding Harleys because guys would blow out the lower end.

Was your engine rebuilt? Do you know how many miles are on it? Is there a performance camshaft already in the engine? What is it that you are trying to do?
It's a stock GM Goodwrench motor gen 1 with headers intake and carb and HEI no cam yet just trying to get a decent horsepower right around 350 or so out of it for my hot rod truck just enough to be fun and grab some speeding tickets not on purpose of course something Lopey and mean sounding
Old 02-18-2016, 07:20 PM   #13
68c10owner

Quote:
It's a stock GM Goodwrench motor gen 1 with headers intake and carb and HEI no cam yet just trying to get a decent horsepower right around 350 or so out of it for my hot rod truck just enough to be fun and grab some speeding tickets not on purpose of course something Lopey and mean sounding
Adding some closed chamber heads will bump the compression up. Those crate engines use dished pistons so with a 64cc head you will be about 9:1-9.4:1 depending on head gasket thickness.

Do you have a budget? Whats the rest of the drivetrain? Trans, gears, tire size, ECT.
Old 02-18-2016, 07:29 PM   #14
WOLFMANmike

Quote:
Adding some closed chamber heads will bump the compression up. Those crate engines use dished pistons so with a 64cc head you will be about 9:1-9.4:1 depending on head gasket thickness.

Do you have a budget? Whats the rest of the drivetrain? Trans, gears, tire size, ECT.
Its a 1965 c10 long bed fleetside the gears are 3.73 12 bolt rear trailing arm suspension transmission is a turbo 350 I'm thinking about the stall probably a 2700 as far as budget goes I'm poor as hell lol I'm on disability only get paid once a month so it will take me quite a while to buy up all the parts in the meantime the truck is running so the cheaper the better I just want a pump gas princess that will stand up for her own against these kids with their little weed wackers sounding like a herd of West Nile if ever challenged by them .
Old 02-18-2016, 07:33 PM   #15
68c10owner

Quote:
Its a 1965 c10 long bed fleetside the gears are 3.73 12 bolt rear trailing arm suspension transmission is a turbo 350 I'm thinking about the stall probably a 2700 as far as budget goes I'm poor as hell lol I'm on disability only get paid once a month so it will take me quite a while to buy up all the parts in the meantime the truck is running so the cheaper the better I just want a pump gas princess that will stand up for her own against these kids with their little weed wackers sounding like a herd of West Nile if ever challenged by them .
Best budget head swap is the vortec heads but you will have to change your intake, valve covers and rocker arms.

you could also check these guys out,

http://www.aeroheadracing.com/chevrolet-heads/
Old 02-18-2016, 08:21 PM   #16
WOLFMANmike

Quote:
Best budget head swap is the vortec heads but you will have to change your intake, valve covers and rocker arms.

you could also check these guys out,

http://www.aeroheadracing.com/chevrolet-heads/
thanks for the help brother .... what do you think about Howards Cams ?
Old 02-19-2016, 12:27 PM   #17
68c10owner

Quote:
thanks for the help brother .... what do you think about Howards Cams ?
Howards Cams are good but don't pick a camshaft until you know what heads you are running.
Old 02-19-2016, 01:12 PM   #18
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

You won't blow up your engine... but if there is a lot of mileage and wear on the stock bottom end (worn out rings), freshly rebuilt heads with new guides and seals can suck oil past the rings and make it burn oil.

Gary

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 02-20-2016, 03:54 AM   #19
WOLFMANmike

Quote:
Howards Cams are good but don't pick a camshaft until you know what heads you are running.
yeah i got that brother ... i was just wondering what you thought of Howards Cams .. because i noticed they are a nice price .. not to expensive . but wanted to make sure it wasent like ebay quality stuff you know what i mean lol
Old 02-20-2016, 04:05 AM   #20
WOLFMANmike

Quote:
You won't blow up your engine... but if there is a lot of mileage and wear on the stock bottom end (worn out rings), freshly rebuilt heads with new guides and seals can suck oil past the rings and make it burn oil.

Gary
at the moment its got no strange noises and dont burn oil so not a smoker .. and today while running i pulled the oil breather off and did not see any blow by .. so im hoping i can get away with doing heads on it without that happening i should also mention she is my driver so i dont have much time for her to be down ...heads cam swap pretty much a 1 day job but a full tear down and rebuild is not in the cards ... thats machine shop time and stuff .. so im really just looking for advice on weather i should do it .. or not because i dont want to blow it up ive done everything i can think of doing to see just how good the engine is ... short of a Compression test
Old 02-20-2016, 04:44 AM   #21
68c10owner

Howards is good quality stuff. I've never used them myself but know others who have with no issues. I wouldn't hesitate to use them at all.

As far as the condition of the engine, a compression test will give you a idea if the rings are in good shape but that's pretty much it. I would keep it fairly mild and consider building a fresh engine.
Old 02-20-2016, 06:25 AM   #22
WOLFMANmike

Quote:
Howards is good quality stuff. I've never used them myself but know others who have with no issues. I wouldn't hesitate to use them at all.

As far as the condition of the engine, a compression test will give you a idea if the rings are in good shape but that's pretty much it. I would keep it fairly mild and consider building a fresh engine.
ok ty for the advice brother .... Happy Truckin