The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > Welcome Area

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-22-2018, 07:11 AM   #1
Blainq17

One more new guy... kinda

Hey guys. Finally decided to join the forum and start a thread for my truck. I've been creeping the forum for years and you guys have already been a lot of help.

My project is a 1964 C10 that I've had for almost 9 years and it's been in my family since it was new. It started out as a longbed 283 4 speed truck that my great grandfather bought new. I inherited it around 2009, got it running, played with it a little and then it just sat until about 2 years ago.

I tore the truck down, saved up some money while I was deployed and started from the frame up putting this truck together right. I cut the frame down to a short wheelbase, sectioned the front crossmember, and step notched the rear. I rebuilt the control arms and installed CPP lowering springs and lowering spindles on the front. I had to move the steering up 1.5" to clear the sectioned crossmember. Including the steering box. On the rear I replaced the control arm crossmember with a CPP unit, reinforced the control arms and built a coil over setup. I also swapped out the 12 bolt for a 9 inch from moser and switched to disc brakes all the way around. And that's where the truck currently sits. The cab is going to Jewel restorations in Oklahoma this summer to get new floorpans, rockers, and all that. While that's happening I'm going to plumb the brakes and sit the engine and trans on the frame. For now I'm just going to use an old 350 and 4l80e I have sitting around. Eventually I'll either put a blower on it or stroke it. Or both. My vision for this truck is a super low static dropped, grass roots, simple cruiser. No power steering, no sway bars, no AC, no electric fuel pumps, no bull****.

Also some pictures of my work and how the truck currently sits. (Yes I know the track bar is on backwards, I fixed it. Lol)
Attached Images

Blainq17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 09:40 AM   #2
Joe Pass

Re: One more new guy... kinda

Welcome
Nice.....
Good to see this project move along
Joe
Joe Pass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 10:50 AM   #3
Blainq17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Pass View Post
Welcome
Nice.....
Good to see this project move along
Joe
Hey, thanks Joe! It's been a long time coming.
Old 10-23-2018, 09:14 PM   #4
Blainq17

Gonna try to get moving on this truck again and keep some momentum. Picked up a step side bed for this pickup with minimal rust (in the dark). Got it in the sun light and decided that I can’t bring myself to paint it so I patched some very small rust spots and straightened everything out as best I could. I plan to lay on some clear coat eventually but I wanna get the floor pans done on the cab and start trying to match the patina of the bed and then clear coat it all at once. I’ve decided I’m going to attempt to do the floor pans, rockers, etc. myself this winter. We’ll see how it goes. Also changing direction on the drivetrain slightly. Snagged a junk 454 that my pops had laying around and I’m gonna start working on a pump gas 496 build with that. Also going to use a TH400 I have laying around for a trans. I’m very terrible about taking pictures so I’ll post what I’ve got and try to get more as I go!
Attached Images

Old 11-03-2018, 08:25 PM   #5
Blainq17

Alright got some new pieces for the bed and bolted it together. I need to cut out some notches in the bedsides to allow for axle travel and get started on a floor. Also check out the sweet hubcaps I scored. They were in the barn on the family farm where this truck sat for years. I don’t believe they’re original to this truck but I could be wrong. That farm actually all burned up late last year in the grass fires so good thing I rescued this pickup long ago. Also the engine made it to the machine shop so that’s going to get moving along also.
Attached Images

Old 07-20-2020, 02:40 PM   #6
Blainq17

Man I am slow moving on this thing and bad about taking pictures. Anyway the big block is finally together! Time to mock it up with the trans and then get started working on the cab. Just a .030 overbore with some h beam rods and forged pistons. Just oval port iron heads and a healthy hydraulic roller. I don’t expect it to make anything more than about 530hp. It’s nothing wild but it’s got some really nice parts, good machine work, and it’s pretty well executed if I say so myself.
Attached Images