The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-04-2023, 01:27 PM   #1
gsinon

Difference in doors?

Can someone tell me what is different about a 47-50 vs a 51 door?
1987 R10, Ethel
Copper Hill Rod & Custom
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829856
gsinon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2023, 01:43 PM   #2
Getter-Done

Re: Difference in doors?

The early ones didn't have wing windows.
The 51 and later doors did.
63 Impala (my high school car)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...Crew Cab Build
Getter-Done is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2023, 02:18 PM   #3
leegreen

early ones had outer door handles that twist and the key was mounted in door skin
later had push button handles with key in button

the two types have different holes in door skin

oops- you asked about 47-51, those all had the same handles, '52 is when the push button started.

-If the truck has original doors-
leegreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2023, 11:07 PM   #4
mr48chev

47/50 have one piece windows and turn down door handles.

51 has vent wings and turn down handles.

47/50 doors will bolt right on a 51 without any hassle with door locks and striker plates. Same with the 51 doors bolting on a 47/50 without any hassles except from the self style experts who will tell you in no uncertain terms that you "do not have a 48 you have a 51". Back when NSRA and most rod clubs limited participant vehicles to 48 and older a lot of guys put doors with one piece glass in their 51 trucks to claim that the had 48.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2023, 09:49 AM   #5
MARTINSR

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr48chev View Post
47/50 have one piece windows and turn down door handles.

51 has vent wings and turn down handles.

47/50 doors will bolt right on a 51 without any hassle with door locks and striker plates. Same with the 51 doors bolting on a 47/50 without any hassles except from the self style experts who will tell you in no uncertain terms that you "do not have a 48 you have a 51". Back when NSRA and most rod clubs limited participant vehicles to 48 and older a lot of guys put doors with one piece glass in their 51 trucks to claim that the had 48.
I remember getting crap from people all the time about my 48. "It looks just like my uncles 53." LOL Geeeeez

Brian

"Fan of most anything that moves human beings"
MARTINSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2023, 04:49 PM   #6
mr48chev

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
I remember getting crap from people all the time about my 48. "It looks just like my uncles 53." LOL Geeeeez

Brian
When I took my 48 to the NSRA street rod Nationals in Tulsa in 1973 I had been running in the front gate all Friday and Saturday morning but later on Saturday I had gone back to the motel to drop my wife off and decided to go in a back gate folowing one of the Pete and Jake cars. The dude at the gate told me that I couldn't take my 53 in and was pretty adamant that it was a 53 and we got into a rather heated discssion until some NSRA official wheeled up in a golf cart and called him off. I had a pretty serious temper in those days and he had used up most of my patience.

I'm still amazed every day on the comments on FB by guys who obviously don't spend a few minutes doing their homework before they comment.

It's pretty simple to pull up either of a couple of go to pages for checking.

https://www.stovebolt.com/techtips/i...tting%20Guide/
http://devestechnet.com/Home/History

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2023, 10:02 AM   #7
MARTINSR

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr48chev View Post
When I took my 48 to the NSRA street rod Nationals in Tulsa in 1973 I had been running in the front gate all Friday and Saturday morning but later on Saturday I had gone back to the motel to drop my wife off and decided to go in a back gate folowing one of the Pete and Jake cars. The dude at the gate told me that I couldn't take my 53 in and was pretty adamant that it was a 53 and we got into a rather heated discssion until some NSRA official wheeled up in a golf cart and called him off. I had a pretty serious temper in those days and he had used up most of my patience.

I'm still amazed every day on the comments on FB by guys who obviously don't spend a few minutes doing their homework before they comment.

It's pretty simple to pull up either of a couple of go to pages for checking.

https://www.stovebolt.com/techtips/i...tting%20Guide/
http://devestechnet.com/Home/History
Yep, my VERY FIRST car show I ever drove into, Aug 7th 1977 "Andy's Picnic" that Andy Brizio a local very famous car building put on. I rolled up to the gate behind my brother in his Model A and the guy said "This show is for pre 49 cars only." I told his his is a 48 and handed him the registration and he said you told them the wrong year, it's not a 48. I parked out on the street and walked in and looked for Andy with my registration and he knew, I didn't have to show him. We walked back to the gate and he told the guy "Let him in." The smart ars said "You're the boss." Geeez

This photo is the only one I took that day.

Brian
Attached Images

"Fan of most anything that moves human beings"
MARTINSR is offline   Reply With Quote