The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-17-2013, 08:48 PM   #1
wildfifty2

Replacing rear window on 1952 1/2 ton

I have purchased a new peice of glass as well as the seal for the rear of my 1952 Chevy truck. I have read several threads regarding replacing this window but none of them state if a sealer is used on the seal or not? The new seal comes with the chrome bead lock, is this enough or should i be setting it with some 3M sealant? Thanks in advance..
wildfifty2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 09:33 PM   #2
focusedontheprize

Re: Replacing rear window on 1952 1/2 ton

I put mine in two weekends ago.

I soaped up the seal and installed it, then worked the glass in with a body filler squeege. Once it was in, I went inside the cab and put that bead lock in. After it was all said and done, it fit incredibly snug, but I still will run a light sealer around it just to give me a little insurance. I will be doing this with the front glass too.
Posted via Mobile Device
focusedontheprize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 09:52 PM   #3
wildfifty2

Quote:
Originally Posted by focusedontheprize View Post

I soaped up the seal and installed it, then worked the glass in with a body filler squeege. Once it was in, I went inside the cab and put that bead lock in. After it was all said and done, it fit incredibly snug, but I still will run a light sealer around it just to give me a little insurance. I will be doing this with the front glass too.
Posted via Mobile Device

Thanks for the input... I have changed many door and wing windows but this will be a first for this type of glass install. It seems to be very straight forward. Just like every other project.. the remove and replace is smallest part of the job.. I cant take anything apart with out cleaning sanding and painting which makes the job a week long project.
wildfifty2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 11:39 PM   #4
mknittle

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildfifty2 View Post
Thanks for the input... I have changed many door and wing windows but this will be a first for this type of glass install. It seems to be very straight forward. Just like every other project.. the remove and replace is smallest part of the job.. I cant take anything apart with out cleaning sanding and painting which makes the job a week long project.
That's a good thing

My GMC build.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=536602
mknittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 11:55 PM   #5
focusedontheprize

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildfifty2 View Post
No argument here. I cleaned everything up and POR'd the jams. Why put new stuff on old rusty stuff?

Good luck.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-18-2013, 12:37 AM   #6
mr48chev

I've had mine in an out several times over the past 30 years and never put any sealer on it and have never had a leak except where the rubber shrank and the gap between the ends widened up. To clarify I used bulk window rubber from the local glass shop. The same stuff they use on a lot of farm equipment and heavy equipment.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 02:01 AM   #7
msaintg

Quote:
Originally Posted by focusedontheprize View Post

Posted via Mobile Device
Inside the cab? When I did my back window, the instructions said to put the rubber on the glass and then use a rope to pull the rubber onto the cab frame.... which is what I did. I thought the bead lock went on the OUTSIDE. Did I screw up? Oh, I didn't use any sealant either. I don't think this kind of seal was ever intended to have sealant put on them back in the day. Mike
msaintg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 06:53 AM   #8
coralhead

Never seen one installed backwards but it can happen. The beadlocks go on the outside of the truck
coralhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 12:03 PM   #9
youngrodder

I mounted mine with the lock bead on the inside of the cab beause I wanted a soomther look to the outside of the cab. I didn't see where it would really matter unless you were going for a 100% accurate restoration. I was not.

Marc

1948 Chevy Truck - Finished SOLD!!

1953 Chevy Suburban "Family Truckster" Completed: Spring of 2021
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=605484

1994 4x4 Blazer - "Field Find"
https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...ferrerid=30857
youngrodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 03:18 PM   #10
focusedontheprize

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngrodder View Post
I mounted mine with the lock bead on the inside of the cab beause I wanted a soomther look to the outside of the cab. I didn't see where it would really matter unless you were going for a 100% accurate restoration. I was not.

Marc
Exactly why I did mine that way.
Old 04-18-2013, 03:20 PM   #11
focusedontheprize

Quote:
Originally Posted by msaintg View Post
Inside the cab? When I did my back window, the instructions said to put the rubber on the glass and then use a rope to pull the rubber onto the cab frame.... which is what I did. I thought the bead lock went on the OUTSIDE. Did I screw up? Oh, I didn't use any sealant either. I don't think this kind of seal was ever intended to have sealant put on them back in the day. Mike
Nope no screw up at all mate. Like Marc said and I did the same thing - I wanted a smoother look on the outside of mine window. Inside, I used the black bead lock so it really wasn't going to be that noticeable inside the cab.

You can do it without sealer too, like I mentioned in my first post, it gives me extra insurance on the leaks. I have a cross country trip coming up soon and I am not interested in having leaks.
Old 12-03-2016, 03:10 PM   #12
57chevy3100

Hey guys!
I just finished the 57 3100 vent and door windows, now ready to tackle the front and rear.
I am sure I can do it, but are there any "special" tools I will need to do this?
57chevy3100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 08:29 PM   #13
MARTINSR

Here is a few great tools that are MUST in opinion.

http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/wind...ls-360386.html

Brian

"Fan of most anything that moves human beings"
MARTINSR is offline   Reply With Quote