The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-04-2013, 05:36 PM   #1
solarnick

2 piece drive shaft thoughts...

I've attached a couple of pictures from my 2 piece drive shaft. I have a Porterbuilt rear basic kit and I added the adjustable center cross member for the trailing arms. The center support bearing did hang before. Can I use this center support inverted with a shim to get the proper drive line angle? The wider center support bearing most people go with doesn't have the same diameter drive shaft that I have. Since the pivot point of the second driveshaft is at the same point as the trailing arms, is a slip yoke really necessary at that joint?

You guys are a huge help.
Attached Images

solarnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 09:51 PM   #2
ItsRandy

Re: 2 piece drive shaft thoughts...

If you use the center support bearing in the picture you posted the slip yoke is in the trans. The rubber that's around the bearing allows the drive shaft to move in and out as the suspension moves up and down. If you use the "horseshoe" style or the solid aluminium bracket with polyurethane around the bearing you will need a slip yoke on the second shaft. These two styles of center support bearing won't allow the yoke to move in and out of the trans as the suspension moves up and down.

You can just see the aluminium center support bearing in the picture. If you want a better picture of the driveline let me know, I'll take one and post it for you.
Attached Images

ItsRandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 06:07 PM   #3
solarnick

Re: 2 piece drive shaft thoughts...

That is a really good reply, I see what you are saying. Thanks

Anyone else have any thoughts to my question?
solarnick is offline   Reply With Quote