The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-13-2007, 05:40 PM   #1
onedayjake

Stainless windshield trim

I'm new to the forum and I'm glad that I found it! I now have a support group for this affliction. My question deals with the stainless trim for the windshield. My truck did not come with this trim but I got some with a bunch of part that I bought a long time ago. I bought a new windshield gasket from LMC and they said to install the rubber first and then install the glass and then the trim into the rubber. I install the glass into the rubber gasket and now that I look at it I don't think there is any way to get the trim into it, am I wrong? Has anyone else ran into this? Any help would be greatly appriciated.
Thanks from a new guy.
onedayjake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 11:26 PM   #2
EAST SIDE LOW LIFE

Re: Stainless windshield trim

Quote:
Originally Posted by onedayjake View Post
I'm new to the forum and I'm glad that I found it! I now have a support group for this affliction. My question deals with the stainless trim for the windshield. My truck did not come with this trim but I got some with a bunch of part that I bought a long time ago. I bought a new windshield gasket from LMC and they said to install the rubber first and then install the glass and then the trim into the rubber. I install the glass into the rubber gasket and now that I look at it I don't think there is any way to get the trim into it, am I wrong? Has anyone else ran into this? Any help would be greatly appriciated.
Thanks from a new guy.

I would take it to a glass shop. Trust me these are hard to do even for them. They actually don't even like doing them and they have done alot more then we have. I just bought a s/s trim kit for my rear window of my 70. This stuff bends easy and it's finished if it happens. At least get a quote before you begin.

esll.

This truck has just the right amount of energy for me!

Author: Warren Lake .... (member)

Last edited by EAST SIDE LOW LIFE; 03-19-2007 at 11:27 PM.
EAST SIDE LOW LIFE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 08:35 AM   #3
bretcopsey

Quote:
Thanks from a new guy.

I'm not sure what year yours is, but on the 47-53 there are two different rubber seals. One with and with without the stainless trim.

My 68 Camaro project
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2277404/1
bretcopsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 11:47 AM   #4
onedayjake

I got the rubber gasket for the stainless trim and it's already installed with the glass installed also. I'm going to have to remove the windshield glass or just leave it like it is. I already cracked the drivers side glass trying to remove it but it's low enough that it's not in view looking out. I might just get some new glass and have a glass shop put it in, some things are just not worth the headache.
Old 03-20-2007, 12:07 PM   #5
EAST SIDE LOW LIFE

Quote:
Thanks from a new guy.

I also have a 50' Chevy P/UP that I repaced all the glass. Door glass is quite easy so I did my own. When you see a shop re. & re. the front glass your glad it's them and not you. The cost is not all that much and all I remember is that it was not worth me doing it. Thats why I'm getting my 70 done by a glass shop. These shops are also mobile so they are able to work at your home as well if your truck is not ready to be put on the road.

I just read your latest post and you can use the glass as a template for the new glass to be cut. Your lucky as this is flat glass so it is not all that costly. The reason I replaced my glass was because it was just starting to delaminate which gives the glass a little yellowish hue. I was being quite fussy as this glass was mint as far as original glass goes.

esll.

This truck has just the right amount of energy for me!

Author: Warren Lake .... (member)

Last edited by EAST SIDE LOW LIFE; 03-20-2007 at 12:21 PM.
EAST SIDE LOW LIFE is offline   Reply With Quote