The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-17-2018, 10:28 PM   #1
DJ_Baar

PWR STR PMP Fitting Confusion

I have a '67 Chevy C20 with power steering "assist."

Replaced the power steering pump and it came with no fitting for pressure line; told to use old fitting. That does not fit.

Fitting on back looks like 3/8" Male pipe thread - but ITS NOT. Got a 3/8"MIP to 3/8" Male Flare fitting - the male flare fitting side fits the pressure line but the other side looks like it should fit and wants to start to thread --- but obviously a different size or fitting as it simply will not thread.

I see a whole lot of listings for LS engine swaps and the power steering. I do not need that. I have a simple 355 SBC Gen I built & am in process putting back together in truck. Simply need to be able to hook the pressure line back up.

Help?

DJ_Baar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 10:20 PM   #2
keel056

Re: PWR STR PMP Fitting Confusion

post picture of what your talking about. I had some issues with power steering bump to gear box fittings.
keel056 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 09:02 AM   #3
DJ_Baar

Back of pump & with fitting I explained "close" to fitting. Is it metric now and needs an adapter to fit the 3/8" flare?
Attached Images

Old 05-19-2018, 10:21 AM   #4
kwmech

IF it is metric, it is O-ring. Take a 15/16 socket or wrench and put it on that nut and actually remove that part form the cannister. Unscrew it slow and remember the orientation of everything when it comes off. Replace the nut with the early style flared piece.

Actually, looking at the pic it appears that it is already for a flared line. Flared is standard thread. The threads may have been messed up from the rebuilder.. For sure messed up if you cranked that brass fitting in
kwmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 11:47 AM   #5
mike16

you should check some of the corvette vendors . Corvettes up through '82 also have a power assist system simular to the 67-68 assist system.
mike16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 12:38 PM   #6
keel056

Hey man text me. I may have the solution for your problems.
Nathan

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ_Baar View Post
Back of pump & with fitting I explained "close" to fitting. Is it metric now and needs an adapter to fit the 3/8" flare?
Posted via Mobile Device
keel056 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 09:08 PM   #7
DJ_Baar

Thank you so very much keel056! We sorted out a bit. Attached pictures show old fitting with 3/8" flare fitting. New pump fitting has something that will require an adapter to put a male 3/8"flare and its not 3/8" MIP (explained earlier - tried). Pictures have old on left and new fitting on right. New fitting has hole to control pressure & flow to high pressure line. The last picture has new high pressure line with 3/8" adapter fitting - too bad it does not simply screw into this new pump fitting! This ol'67 only has power steering assist cylinder, not full power steering.

Again, thank you so very much keel056!

Attached Images

Old 05-19-2018, 09:21 PM   #8
DJ_Baar

Contacted http://leepowersteering.com/fittings-and-hoses/ whom have a few options.

keel056 provided the link
Old 05-24-2018, 06:42 PM   #9
DJ_Baar

OK, I understood that a #6 AN fitting was a 3/8" fitting, but I guess not same as a male 3/8" Flare fitting? And after supplied email and a phone call back from Lee Power Steering, I ordered and got a part I thought would fit. But, see attached photos - close, but not same to connect with a new power steering line.

In photos you can see new fitting you supplied is damn close to 3/8" male flare to 3/8" MIP adapter fitting I had, but not. Cap from supplied fitting fits only over end of 3/8" flare, but 3/8" flare fits the line for power steering assist cylinder.

WTHO?!
Attached Images

Old 05-24-2018, 07:28 PM   #10
DJ_Baar

https://www.classicindustries.com/pr...ts/ps6084.html

Looks JUST LIKE WHAT I BOUGHT at AZ, complete with wrong female fitting for pressure. (Good price though - Ha.)
Old 05-24-2018, 07:32 PM   #11
DJ_Baar

https://www.jegs.com/i/Tuff-Stuff/90...791+4294829751

Looks right, but what size is that adapter for high pressure? That is all I need.
Old 05-25-2018, 06:03 AM   #12
DJ_Baar

My Friend that works for AZ found this link that claims to be the correct fitting: https://goo.gl/images/tU3kQ6. Have to work-out return of the last fitting I got first.

Its funny that I could NOT find this link earlier in all my searches? Thank you Derrek.

After all I have dealt with, I may just go with the new pump after I hear back first on confirmation of that fitting size. (https://www.jegs.com/i/Tuff-Stuff/90...791+4294829751, but with an eBay better price deal.)

Old 06-01-2018, 05:09 PM   #13
DJ_Baar

Even the Tuff Stuff 6198B, Saginaw Power Steering Pump (for 1961-1969 Chevy Cars/Light Trucks), had a 5/8"-18 inverted flare adapter to a 6AN fitting. (6AN is similar to 3/8" Flare.) I still had to use the Adapter from Lee Power Steering to fit to the 5/8" stock high pressure line.

Also had to trim the mount 1/4" because of new harmonic balancer.

But this part of project is done except bleeding pump and actuator.

Attached Images

Old 06-01-2018, 06:47 PM   #14
BCOWANWHEELS

Stock is a number 5 inverted flair
I BELIEVE IN JOHN 3:16
BCOWANWHEELS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 07:55 PM   #15
DJ_Baar

BCOWANWHEELS, that was a long learning curve and even had issues with folks that are SUPPOSED to know. Glad that is resolved.

Old 06-03-2018, 11:25 PM   #16
nikwho

I had very similar struggles when trying to find a pump that had the reservoir that I needed and the fitting that would fit the existing pressure line that my truck has. I was frustrated, as it was the last thing keeping my truck from driving after my engine swap. The steering pumps that NAPA had came with the fittings. The pump that they had that came with that he right fitting, didn't have the correct fitting. The guys at NAPA probably pulled 20 power steering pumps! And about three of that hehe were working on it with me. I got frustrated and just bought two pumps; one with the mounting stud/configuration and the older style reservoir that worked with and cleared my high drivers side alternator brackets, and a second pump that came with the newer fitting that fit my pressure line. I got them home, took them apart and built one pump that works. So, it cost double, but the guys helped me out on price quite a bit, since I had to buy two pumps to make it work. Won't be nearly the issue if I need to replace it, as I'll have the fitting and appropriate reservoir now, and will just need to make sure that the mounting configuration is correct. In hind sight, I wish that I would have just changed to a stock alternator mount.
Old 06-04-2018, 09:39 AM   #17
DJ_Baar

Hoping that sharing this info may help the next person with similar issues