The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > The 1973 - 1991 Blazers, Jimmys, and Suburbans Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-05-2017, 08:10 PM   #1
mickeykreg

2 months in Baja

Hey fellow squares,
Thought I'd post up here about a blazer camping trip down the Baja. These are just the pics from the trip south and we still have to get home so fingers are crossed. I thought you guys may be interested.
Lisa and I made it to Los Barriles the other day after around 1200 miles, and 16 nights on the road. We had a great trip south. Much of the original plan went out the window once we got going. The '77 ran like a new one. Not even an oil leak. Pretty amazed actually, but I did work on things for months to prepare for this trip. No problems with gas, and it was always available when we needed it. I was able to use my CC to pay for gas more often than I thought. Never got ripped off, like I do in front of my own house in SLC. Always felt safe. Weather sucked, but not as bad as up north. Mostly just cooler temps than we expected. A couple nights of rain made us pass through the Catavina area way faster than we would have liked. Palapa at Daggets helped us survive a night of 50mph gusts. We met the bajadivide mountain biker crew near La Cuesta de la Ley. Bahia Conception was too much of a raucous to for us to hang around. We did stay at Playa La Perla which seemed different and chill. The lady collecting the $4 fee for the palapa was a sweetie, so Lisa bought a bracelet from her. Also stayed at a super nice camp at Juncalito, where we met some people that'd driven from South America.
Everything we look for in a camping trip and then some. Big views, stars all the way to the horizon, miles of nothing but everything, great street food in the dusty little towns, amazing beach camping!

I'll shut up and leave the rest to the photos.

Camp 1: La Jolla (out of Ensenada), barely made it before dark

Camp 2: Punta San Jose, bought fish for anniversary dinner on the coals.

THE Mama Espinosa's and Baja 1000 shrine in El Rosario

Camp 4: rainy night in the mysterious Boojums south of Catavina

Camp 5: before the storm at BdLA

Camp 6: Playa San Rafael - Pedro is rad as hell!

Camp 7: a cold night in the outback

Camp 8: in the dunes south of Bahia Ascunsion

Dinner in San Ignacio was something like $12 for both of us

Even the gas station has a rad view!

camp 10: Playa La Perla, cool old lady, $5 palapa to escape the wind

Loreto - thought I'd post a pic of us

Camp 12 and 13: finally a layover at Punta Conejo

best sunset of the trip at P. Conejo

nights 14 and 15: a couple nights of "fancy" at the Barcelo in Cabo.

Camp 16: Los Frailes, dramatic whale breach 250m offshore

Now it's time to chill out for a month in Los Barriles and shake off the road. March 1st we'll make a slighly faster trip north. So far the return list includes the Javier and San Miguel/Jose Comondu mountain route, and route 5 through San Felipe.

'80 SRW C35 - 355/700R4/4:11/2.5-3/DD
'77 Cheyenne K5 - Roller cam 355/NV4500/205/4:88's/35's/DD

rust repair on the '77
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=740291
mickeykreg is offline   Reply With Quote