The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Paint & Bodywork

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-22-2017, 08:50 AM   #1
panhead59

Question Is this patch available anywhere?

I am looking for a patch panel for the roof area in a 68. It is at the top of rear windshield and goes all the way across the cab. Right where the glass meets metal/cab. Outside is fine but inside needs replacing. It looks like the front windshield/roof line is available but nothing for the rear. Does anyone make this patch panel ? Getting one off a donor would/could be problematic. Unless maybe someone on this forum would have one.
panhead59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 09:53 AM   #2
Warrens69GMC

Re: Is this patch available anywhere?

picture of the area?
Warrens69GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 10:23 AM   #3
Jcfcamaro

I've never seen that in any books, but if you post a picture of the area so we can see it would help. You might have to get a used cut out piece from a donor truck. If so I have a cab I'm cutting patch panels off of for another cab I'm restoring.
Jcfcamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 01:18 PM   #4
MARTINSR

And of course if you can get the whole panel out of a cab then you use the whole panel. Using the whole panel and the work involved is a hell of a lot less than splicing in a section of it.

Drill out the spot welds "unbolting" it from the cab. So the same to your rusty one and prep it properly with weld through primer and epoxy primer on the areas not getting welded and you can swap the whole thing. Just break it down in to small enough steps and you can pull it off.

Here is a "Basics of Basics" to spot weld removal. http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/basi...ls-222549.html

Hopefully you can still see the photos being photoSCUMbucket has started blocking them.

Brian
Attached Images

"Fan of most anything that moves human beings"
MARTINSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 08:39 AM   #5
panhead59

Yes, Martinsr (Brian) that's the panel. Mine is rusted just in the seam or lip at the top of the rear glass. All the way across. I think replacing the whole panel would be overkill but an option none the less. I would like to make a patch panel as I only need the rounded curve and lip- about 1-2" worth. It's rusted only in the area of where the curved part meets the flat area that holds the glass. I just don't know how I could make that curved/rounded area. Donor panel sounds like my best option. PM sent to Jcfcamaro, he's close (3-4 hr. drive) from me. Thanks for all the replies. I was afraid there was/is no patch panel. Seems odd though, this area seems like it would be a common rust area. They make the front section, why not the rear? I should add, the outside lip is fine, oddly enough, it's just the inside lip that is gone!!!!
Old 10-23-2017, 12:56 PM   #6
MARTINSR

My point on replacing the whole thing is it is often easier than patching! And this may be one of those cases.

I can't believe how much looking at these sort of things has helped me in custom work, looking at it like a modern day collision tech. When I sectioned my cab, back in 1954 when the Rod & Custom dream truck was sectioned they went right through the middle of the firewall, I drilled out the spot welds at the top of the firewall and cut off what I wanted and brought the cowl top down on top of it. No seams, no bondo work, nothing, looks like it was made that way.

See where I am going with this? Look it over, I don't have your truck in front of me, I could be wrong. Post some photos, lets talk about it.

Brian

Old 10-23-2017, 02:15 PM   #7
Jcfcamaro

Looks like to me you would have to take the back off to get to the spot welds and seam by the coat hanger. A good welder could patch it in and with a skim coat never know the difference. Just my 2 cents.
Old 10-23-2017, 04:16 PM   #8
MARTINSR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcfcamaro View Post
Looks like to me you would have to take the back off to get to the spot welds and seam by the coat hanger. A good welder could patch it in and with a skim coat never know the difference. Just my 2 cents.
You could be right, without photos it's all just talk.

OP, post some photos so we can all see what you are talking about, JCF may be right but without photos we don't know.

Brian

Old 10-23-2017, 05:55 PM   #9
panhead59

Pics taken. Will send wed. am. Have to go to work and outta time. I don't send/post pics very often so it'll take some time to figure out how. Have done before and know it's easy but have forgotten. Tks for replies. Note- I think I can make a patch. Jcfcamaro- did u get the PM ?
Old 10-25-2017, 09:18 AM   #10
panhead59

Here's 3 pics of the rusted area. They are from left top corner to dome light. Damage to right of dome light is the same as just below dome light. Outside is fine and top lip for glass is sound. So as you can now see, the rust is not too extensive. IMO. I'm thinking either get a donor patch from somebody or make one. I can bend a 90 deg. easy enough and if the metal was thin enough I could bend it around the curved part, clamp it and weld it. Suggestions? Keep in mind this is only my second 68-72 truck that I have done all the patch panels on so experience and tools are limited. I've got a Lincoln 180c mig to do the welding.
Attached Images

Last edited by panhead59; 10-25-2017 at 09:25 AM.
Old 10-25-2017, 10:23 AM   #11
MARTINSR

The fact that the panel is welded to the "headliner" panel inside above that light changes everything on my suggestion of replacing the whole panel.

HOWEVER, the damage is pretty extensive and there it's very likely there is going to be more than this you are showing.

This stuff gets more complicated than a quick patch and ones skills can play into this big time. Those aren't easy patches to make, going around that corner with a round shape, yeow, that is not easy and with limited skills it's going to be tough.

That being said, we can do anything if we break the task into small enough steps, you CAN do it, we know that. Replacing the whole thing would require a seam across the top just below that factory seam that wouldn't be that tough either, again, learning one small step at a time. You cut that panel off about a inch away from the seam and then cut the donor panel about a half inch away from the seam. Step the edge of the donor panel along that line and then tuck it up under that one and weld it in place. OR cut the panel off about a half inch from that seam and then cut the donor panel off down in the seam so that the edge of it tucks down into the seam on that roof and plug weld it along the overlap and when done seam seal that seam.

So because that seam is there it isn't out of the question.

This is I understand a huge project, I just through it out there because being able to clean all the rust out behind there and weld in a nice epoxy primed panel over a nice epoxy primed inner cab though it is WAY more time, it really does end up being easier than welding patches in there.

I toss this idea out there because we are all different and if that sounds more comfortable to you than go for it. The cool part is, you can start making patches on that stuff and give that a try, see how it goes and if it doesn't work out for you there is another plan. But if I were to get a donor panel that was nice, I would have a hard time cutting that baby up when it could be installed complete.

Another thought is what are the expectations of the build and the truck. I would go as far as to say some projects and guys swapping out the whole inner headliner and rear panel wouldn't be out of line! We are all different and we all have different expectations and skill levels.

But going back to making these patches from scratch, you would realistically have to make the patch out of many smaller ones. But if you just jump into it, this method may go smoothly for you and in a few work times out in the garage you will have a patch ready to go and you rock and roll through it and don't have to spend the money on a donor. Give that a try and see how it goes, if it's not working out get a donor and study that a while seeing if replacing it complete makes sense to you.

But if you cut away small sections of that rusted area, one at a time, and make the patch for it BEFORE cutting out the next section that is what I would start with. Make each patch so it fits against the next rear that is rusted, then cut that area out and make a patch that fits there, then the next area and make a patch. Then you know they all fit in place and you can tack weld them in all together.

These are some ideas to start with, making the actual patch will take a lot more detail and photos. We can do that too. And of course wait for some ideas from others, there is a lot of knowledge on this board.

Brian

Old 10-25-2017, 04:45 PM   #12
panhead59

PM sent to Jcfcamaro. Anyone else have this patch off a donor and are willing to sell it ?
Old 10-26-2017, 01:21 AM   #13
Warrens69GMC

I do
Attached Images

Warrens69GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 01:37 PM   #14
Jcfcamaro

P.m sent
Old 10-27-2017, 09:15 AM   #15
panhead59

In the process of buying patch from Jcfcamaro. Thanks Warrens69GMC for replying. I'll keep you in mind if other deal falls though for some reason. And tks to everyone that chimed in with suggestions.
Old 10-27-2017, 10:10 AM   #16
panhead59

Reply PM sent to Jcfcamaro. I'll take it.
Old 10-28-2017, 07:36 PM   #17
Jcfcamaro

Here are some pictures for panhead59 .
Attached Images

Old 10-28-2017, 07:39 PM   #18
Jcfcamaro

A few more.
Attached Images

Old 10-29-2017, 06:05 AM   #19
panhead59

Thanks Jarad that's exactly what I need.
Old 10-29-2017, 03:20 PM   #20
MARTINSR

And understand Jarad and I have thrown out different ways to do this, his way is a great way to do the repair. If you have to go more than that, replacing the whole panel may be a good way too.

Brian

Old 11-03-2017, 09:09 AM   #21
panhead59

Thanks Jarad, received patch panel. PM sent