The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-24-2017, 08:44 AM   #1
jbgroby

Turning Radius Question

On a '60 GMC, does anyone know what the normal turning radius is for a '60? I ask because I was driving around the subdv. getting use to the noises and squeaks and stopped by a neighbors house to talk to him and I happened to notice that it seemed to me the truck did not turn as tight as it should.

I converted to power steering but the linkage is the same. I suppose I need to jack up the from in to turn left and right to measure.

Jake
jbgroby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 09:09 AM   #2
aerotruk63
Check The Champ, Demonstrator

Re: Turning Radius Question

1960 Chevrolet Shop Manual
I believe yours is a 127" wheelbase, 1/2 ton.
TURNING RADII
22.20 feet measured to edge of front tire at outside of circle.
23.65 feet measured to outer extremity of truck (front bumper or fender ) wall to wall clearance.

YouTube Channel with 20+ Original Chevrolet Truck Salesmen, Mechanics & Service Department Training Slideshows.
https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...otruk63&page=1
aerotruk63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 09:15 AM   #3
jbgroby

Is there a way to jack up the front end and measure the angle of the wheel (left and right)?
Old 04-24-2017, 09:16 AM   #4
aerotruk63

They show the truck is inside of the radius circle. In other words the measurements are for the passenger side as you make a left hand turn.

YouTube Channel with 20+ Original Chevrolet Truck Salesmen, Mechanics & Service Department Training Slideshows.
Old 04-24-2017, 09:21 AM   #5
aerotruk63

First is to determine if it's the same left and right.
Turn the steering all the way in one direction till it locks, then all the way in the other till it locks , counting the number of turns it takes. Divide by two and turn the steering back to this calculated number of turns. Is the steering wheel centered at this point?

Old 04-24-2017, 09:24 AM   #6
jbgroby

thanks,
Old 04-24-2017, 05:38 PM   #7
ChrisDollins

I converted my 66 to power steering when I went to disc brakes. I noticed mine turns sharper to the left than to the right. I just did a quick tape measure alignment in the shop. Need to take it to an alignment shop to get it dialed in right most likely.

Chris
ChrisDollins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 04:40 PM   #8
forestb

These things turn. I have just been leaning for years.
forestb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 05:36 PM   #9
LostMy65
But Found Her 25yrs Later!

Less turning radius after converting to PS has came up a few times in these forums. I know for a fact that my 66 Service Truck lost quite a bit of turning radius when I converted to PS.
There was some discussion in a couple threads regarding pitman arm lengths and/or the box itself and its Stop to Stop.
For my 65 I bought a Redhead PS Box because I read lots of reviews on them about being tight with no play or slop.
I'm real happy and didn't notice any loss in turning radius.

66 C20 Service Truck:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=428035
LostMy65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 10:26 PM   #10
luvbowties

Thumbs up Re: Turning Radius Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgroby View Post
On a '60 GMC, does anyone know what the normal turning radius is for a '60? I ask because I was driving around the subdv. getting use to the noises and squeaks and stopped by a neighbors house to talk to him and I happened to notice that it seemed to me the truck did not turn as tight as it should.

I converted to power steering but the linkage is the same. I suppose I need to jack up the from in to turn left and right to measure.

Jake
In your driveway, turn st. wheel, lock-to-lock, and count the turns. Then turn it to half-way, have buddy hold it (or use tape to tape bottom end of st. wheel center to st. column TIGHTLY so it cannot budge: this is really the better option!). Then look underneath your truck from front & eyeballing points out how much wheels are both turned in one direction. Then, using the adjusters on the tie rod ends, rotate each until wheels are pointed straight ahead. [This amounts to lengthening one tie-rod and shortening the other.] Set toe-in approx. 1/8" IN and lock her down. This splits the difference in the lost ability to turn in one certain direction when moving the steering box outward from the frame during ps conversion. Spacing the new ps box out from the frame increases turn to left and decreases turn to right--dangerous to drive until these distances are equalized!!! HTH.
Sam
luvbowties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 10:29 PM   #11
luvbowties

Smile Re: Turning Radius Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisDollins View Post
I converted my 66 to power steering when I went to disc brakes. I noticed mine turns sharper to the left than to the right. I just did a quick tape measure alignment in the shop. Need to take it to an alignment shop to get it dialed in right most likely.

Chris
Chris, see above reply to LostMy65.
Sam
luvbowties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 07:54 AM   #12
jbgroby

Thanks Sam,
I'm going to take her to an old time alignment shop, the owners is into old cars, I'll print out your write up as well and give to him to check into.

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvbowties View Post
In your driveway, turn st. wheel, lock-to-lock, and count the turns. Then turn it to half-way, have buddy hold it (or use tape to tape bottom end of st. wheel center to st. column TIGHTLY so it cannot budge: this is really the better option!). Then look underneath your truck from front & eyeballing points out how much wheels are both turned in one direction. Then, using the adjusters on the tie rod ends, rotate each until wheels are pointed straight ahead. [This amounts to lengthening one tie-rod and shortening the other.] Set toe-in approx. 1/8" IN and lock her down. This splits the difference in the lost ability to turn in one certain direction when moving the steering box outward from the frame during ps conversion. Spacing the new ps box out from the frame increases turn to left and decreases turn to right--dangerous to drive until these distances are equalized!!! HTH.
Sam