The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-02-2010, 01:43 AM   #1
873+3/90zuk

1 ton lift

just got my first 1 ton. its a 87 cc/drw with a 6.2. I want to lift it to fit H1 wheels and the stock H1 37's. Im going to use the H1 wheels to make it SRW. but i have some ?s

1. if i do a 6in lift do i have to get my drive shafts like on most other trucks?

2. can i run the 37's with a 4in with out trimming? i know this is a shot in the dark but it seems to me that the truck sits high stock.

3. do i need any special parts for the lift because of the D60? I am thinking rough country decuase of the good price.

4. what about a t-case drop? im told that i can move the stock spacers from inside the frame and stick them between the crossmember and the frame to achieve this. true?

5. Im not sure what gearing the cc dually has stock but will it have any issues with stock gearing and a lift. this will be my DD and tow rig. Ill be towing a 18ft flatben with my samurai and quads on it.

6. the only 4x4 it will see is during elk season and it wont be anything that cant be done in 2wheel so im not worried about rubbing or anything like that.

thanks ahead of time
873+3/90zuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 11:36 PM   #2
Brett09

Re: 1 ton lift

I'm pretty much in the same boat you are 1 ton, 6.2, 38's Michelin X 11. 00R16 XL. Did you ever do the lift? What did you end up having to do to get it all to fit? Any problems you ran into?
Brett09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 12:47 AM   #3
873+3/90zuk

Quote:
I'm pretty much in the same boat you are 1 ton, 6.2, 38's Michelin X 11. 00R16 XL. Did you ever do the lift? What did you end up having to do to get it all to fit? Any problems you ran into?
i havnt got the lift yet. Im still up in the air about doing it or not. I use my crew to tow my rock rig and all my other toys and i dont want to loose any tow capability. from the what ive read even if i re-gear to compensate for the tires the 6.2 may still have some issues pushing the bigger tires and pulling the load. I thought about putting a turbo on it but dont think its worth it. you get good gains from the turbo but i dont think it will be enough. im going to save the $1200 or so dollars it would cost me to lift and start gathering parts for a cummins swap. Ill lift it after i gent some more grunt out of the old girl.

is yours already lifted? how does it tow?
Old 06-11-2010, 03:09 AM   #4
Brett09

I just got it less then 2 weeks ago. I just happen to find and win the auction for the Michelin's so it's pushing me to do the lift. Those tires and rare on the west cost. I don't have to tow with it, it's just a hunting, fishing, hide from the wife truck. If you re-gear it back to the stock ratio you would be fine.

For what it's worth here's my two cents. Sounds like you tow more then anything, if you want to lift it stick with 35's. I can't say it enough about Toyo A/T's, Ive never had a better ride on the road. There is a few out there that will give a little bit better wear but the ride is hands down the best I've had on any tire I've bought including street tires. The only two lifts I have found for the 1 ton is made by Superlift. They have a 3.5" (K461) and a 5.5" (K462) lift. I would assume you have the Dana 60 up front?

For the drive train don't get me wrong I would put a Cummins in my wife's Nissan Sentra if I could. Hands down the best choice for a diesel power plant in just about any project. On the other hand I have heard the good and the bad about the 6.2, but everyone I've talked to that actually owned one had nothing but great things to say about them. For a tow rig I would put the banks set up in there. I haven't seen anything else that's worth it. I will warn you if you put the Cummins in the you will get the Cummins bite. You get that extra power and you start you think what can I get out of this bad boy. Next thing you know your tow rig just turned in your project truck. You get the smoke blowin, tire burnin, gear bangin, baby cryin, granny hatin, pantie wreckin 4x4.....then again you could have self control. All up to if you want a one day project or a one month plus project. Well buddy the beer took over this post a long time ago, keep me updated on that you do and I'll do the same.
Brett09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 01:18 PM   #5
873+3/90zuk

You make some good points. I've also had very good experience with toyo tires myself. I think I may change my mindset on my chevy a little. My problem is getting in to deep with my trucks lol my samurai started out just getting Toyota axles then 7 months and $6000 latter it's linked front and rear and all kinds of stuff.

Now that you reality checked me I'll probably stick with the 6.2 I don't care what anyone one says it's a good engine and works well. I'll never break any up or torque contest but she runs great and is very simple to work on. What RPO are you going with after you lift it? I'll probably go with the H1 wheels and tires(37-12.50-16.5)
becuase of the low price.

Thanks for the input
Old 06-11-2010, 04:09 PM   #6
propanemudtruck
Local Redneck Authority

Hey there, I know you plan on just using the rig for towing and light to moderate wheeling, but most people with that body style that lift 4" go with 35's, I would reccomend the 5.5" or 6" lifts available to clear 37's. With a regear and mild tuning on that 6.2 it could stay reliable and have enough power to haul a zuk.

four on the floor feel the beat in your soul
movin to the rhythym pumpin til ya cant take no more
dance if you want to do what you came to
you cant ignore the feeling of that four on the floor
propanemudtruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 05:56 PM   #7
873+3/90zuk

My plan is to go with a 4in lift and ORD zero rate add a leaf. With that set I will get 5in of lift and move my frot axle forward an inch to get the tire out of the back of the fender.

What do you think?
Old 06-11-2010, 06:20 PM   #8
b454rat

don't forget to add 2" on top of the lift springs. All 1 tons are 2' taller than 1/2 and 3/4 tons.

so, 4" springs will give you 6" total, etc etc.
b454rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 09:06 PM   #9
873+3/90zuk

No ****. I thought it looked a little tall that's good info. So I should be able to fit a 37 with the 4in lift