The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 99-06 GMT800 Chevy and GMC Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-01-2013, 04:16 PM   #1
Saclandman

Starter Kill Relay

I am having a problem with my 2002 Chevy Tahoe. All the dash lights come on when I turn the key but starter does not crank. The battery, starter, alternator, and underhood starter relay are all new. It happens every so often, not all the time. Sometimes I have to hit the keyless remote a few times to get it to crank or just wait until a hear a click under the dash (after a few minutes). Anyone know which relay I need to replace and where? Any other possibilities or suggestions?

1967 Chevy C20 Longbed Stepside w/283 and 4spdSOLD
2002 Chevy Tahoe 4X4 5.3L SOLD
2015 Chevy Silverado Crew 4X4 5.3L
Saclandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 01:04 AM   #2
BossHogg69
motor exploder

Re: Starter Kill Relay

This is going to sound crazy, but I had a similar problem in my '99 Tahoe last year. It would sometimes crank, but would immediately die. I too was thinking it was a bad relay or the fuel pump was going out. Sometimes I could mess with the ignition switch and it would go ahead and start, but then it got to where it would only crank and immediately die every time. I had a buddy come over and put his Cornwell scanner on it, it was saying the security system was not letting the fuel pump relay kick on - he was sure a new ignition switch would solve it. So, per his recommendation, I put a new ignition switch in and still had the same problem. I ended up having to take it to the dealer and it turned out the rearview mirror (w/compass & thermometer) was shorting out and was tied into the same circuit on the 'body control module' that the fuel pump 'run' relay was on. They just unplugged the rearview mirrow (I didn't want to spend $750 on a new one) and I've never had another problem with it.

I hate taking my rides to the dealer, but sometimes its a last resort. It ended up costing me $186, and I haven't had a problem since.

1969 Chevy CST/10 stepside, DART Big M/TREMEC Magnum Extreme/3.73's w/Detroit Truetrac
1965 Chevy Bel Air Wagon (daily driver), 327/TH350,10 bolt w/3.08's
1961 Chevy Bel Air Sport Coupe, ZZ454/M21/9" rear w/3.50's & Detroit Truetrac
2005 GMC 1500 ccsb 2wd, 6.0L/4L65e/3.73 G80
2006 GMC 2500HD ccsb 4x4, DMax LBZ/Allison 6spd/4.56's w/Detroit TrueTrac

Use the SEARCH function on this forum - it is your friend!!
BossHogg69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 09:38 PM   #3
crazy longhorn
Fabricate till you "puke"

Re: Starter Kill Relay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saclandman View Post
I am having a problem with my 2002 Chevy Tahoe. All the dash lights come on when I turn the key but starter does not crank. The battery, starter, alternator, and underhood starter relay are all new. It happens every so often, not all the time. Sometimes I have to hit the keyless remote a few times to get it to crank or just wait until a hear a click under the dash (after a few minutes). Anyone know which relay I need to replace and where? Any other possibilities or suggestions?
I had the same issue, with my 02 Silverado,(no crank, but dash lights ect). Checked, cleaned the cables, tested the battery...still no go! I then swapped the relays from the start & the headlight harness (same numbers)....it works, but I am not sure its fixed yet? It could be a neutral safety switch, or a flat spot on the starter armature, or ign switch problem. My starter is not new, so I may tap on the starter with a small hammer next time & then try to start the booger. ... intermittent is fun to diagnose! Send you BTT, for other eyes to see If you sort it out, let me know! Longhorn
69 longhorn,4" chop,3/5 drop, 1/2 ton suspension/disc brakes,1 1/2" body drop,steel tilt clip, 5.3/Edelbrock rpm intake/600 carb, Hooker streetrod shorties,2 1/2" exhaust/ H pipe/50's Flows , 6 spd Richmond trans,12 bolt/ 3.40 gears....
crazy longhorn is offline   Reply With Quote