The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 99-06 GMT800 Chevy and GMC Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-16-2013, 07:44 PM   #1
warbird

1999 suburban steering woes

hi all just recently joined the forum... (like today kinda recent), I have however been lurking for awhile, here is my issue. I have a 1999 suburban 2WD with 5.7 gas engine.... stock 15 inch wheels stock ride height. when I bought the truck after selling my hotrod due to a 3rd child it would jerk to the side while driving like someone grabbed the wheel and pulled.... I took it to a shop expecting all kinds of front end issues. guy said everything was fine but steering box needed replaced, so a new one of those got installed ($$) and supposedly it was aligned. I get the burb back and it is not aligned correctly so go to another shop and they do it right this time (I hope) anyway it still has a loose sense to the steering (it has the speed sensitive steering) I have been doing some research and I think it may be the intermediate shaft (although there is no clunking when I turn) it just feels "loose" especially on the highway... the way it reacts when I brake from speed leaves me to wonder if the rag joint is bad (past experience with other cars built ) but at 300 bucks from the dealer just for the part I am looking for alternatives, on my hotrod (I wont go into what it was sense it wasn't chevy) I replaced the rag joint with a borgeson joint and I loved it. is there a borgeson or comparative replacement for the rag joint on this truck?
is it possible to just rebuild the rag joint with new rubber rather than buying the whole steering shaft?
any other thoughts as to what my problem may be and how to rectify it.... this is my wifes vehicle she uses to tote the kids around in and I want it as safe as I can get it.
warbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 08:40 PM   #2
dragginmetal
here, just not logged in

Re: 1999 suburban steering woes

This thread talks about the speed sensitive steering being a problem.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...light=steering
dragginmetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 09:07 PM   #3
warbird

is it really that easy? could this on elittle $35 sensor be my big issue? heck for that amount i'll do it.... but "does" anybody make a replacement fo rthe rag joint without paying stupid money to the dealer?
warbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 11:00 PM   #4
dragginmetal
here, just not logged in

Rag joint rebuild kits. I'm not sure if they fit 99 sub.
http://www.summitracing.com/search/p...lacement-discs

Here's a mod to get rid of the rag joint. Not sure if it works with speed sensitive steering though.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=584641

That's about the best i can do. Hopes this helps.

Last edited by dragginmetal; 07-16-2013 at 11:07 PM.
dragginmetal is offline   Reply With Quote