The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-16-2015, 03:20 PM   #1
Kw69

New guy with a 69 C10 but engine block question....

Hey guys awesome board, glad to have picked up an almost restored 69 C10 long bed... Question that I have is concerning what supposed to be the original engine. The engine in question is blue in color... But the block casting number is 3956618... Now it's out of the truck with a fresh 350 installed by the previous owner.. I can't see the engine Vin number it appears to be worn or scratched off many years ago.. It appears to be pitted really bad in that area. Now when I bought the truck the guy said that it's the original engine... But blue in color??? I thought it was supposed to be orange... Also the distributor itself shows a number that was meant for a 300HP block.. That number is 1111500. So I can't seem to find a vin on this engine, got the previous owner telling me that its original but it's blue?? Though the casting number shows it to be from a 69 Vette, camaro, or full sized? What ur thoughts? Anything else that I need to look for? Sorry for such a long post. Thanks guys in advanced. BTW I will post pics later but it's a 69 CST with power steering and no power assisted breaks... Got a 3 speed on the floor converted from the column... Love this truck....
Posted via Mobile Device
Kw69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 03:56 PM   #2
Eddie H.

Re: New guy with a 69 C10 but engine block question....

If my memory serves me correctly,GM didn't start painting their engines blue until sometime around 76-77.
Old 09-16-2015, 04:16 PM   #3
Kw69

Yeah kinda my thoughts as well. Maybe a repaint? But I didn't see orange under it... The numbers show for a 69 block. Is this block a 300 hp block then? How to know if it's a 350 or 327?
Thanks
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-16-2015, 04:25 PM   #4
Eddie H.

I believe that 67 or 68 was the last year for the 327, but the large journal 327 and 350 blocks are basically the same.
Old 09-16-2015, 04:29 PM   #5
Kw69

Do u think this could be the original engine? Would this also be the 300hp engine? Is that kinda rare for the c10? Sorry a lot of questions just confused by this blue paint and no vin
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-16-2015, 04:31 PM   #6
geezer#99

According to this list it's a 1969 350.
http://www.mortec.com/castnum.htm

And it's just paint. Likely painted blue when it was rebuilt.
Reason you can't see any numbers on the pad is the block was likely shaved during the rebuild. That always removes the numbers.
geezer#99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 04:32 PM   #7
Redline novdog

How about the casting date. It's on the passenger side rear top. Where the transmission bolts on
Old 09-16-2015, 04:32 PM   #8
Eddie H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kw69 View Post
Yeah kinda my thoughts as well. Maybe a repaint? But I didn't see orange under it... The numbers show for a 69 block. Is this block a 300 hp block then? How to know if it's a 350 or 327?
Thanks
Posted via Mobile Device
There is no such thing as a special 300HP block. The 350 used both 2 bolt and 4 bolt mains, depending on the application. The HP differences is in the pistons, cam, heads, and induction systems used on various engines.
Old 09-16-2015, 05:42 PM   #9
Kw69

Ok yep got it about the blue and being rebuilt. I am not home so can't check the date yet. Was unsure of the HP cause the distributor number matched the part number that was used on the 300hp engine. I have an old shop book for that truck and that's how I obtained that info. So it could be original... I did call the previous Owner back and it swears it was.. He is the second owner so the first one I believe past away years ago. Anyway I looked at the resale value on these and they seem pretty good. My intentions are to just keep it since I really enjoy it. Another question I have is concerning the front disc brake conversion. Who has the best prices and would u keep the 6 lug or go to the 5 lug... Problem is u go to change the back as well to a 5 lug and I am not sure what that all includes just yet. Btw I am pretty handy on working on mechanical things and have worked on cars all my life thus far. So replacing or rebuilding is not that much complicated for me. What's ur thoughts on the brake conversion and who has the best price? Oh I don't have power breaks so a booster is needed. I will post pics later this week just go to figure out how.... Thanks guys I really appreciate al the help thus far.
Kris
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-16-2015, 05:52 PM   #10
Redline novdog

Sorry no info on the disc brake issue (I need as well),but the the block if as before stated if milled the numbers are gone. It would be up to you to keep or not.Sounds like you are going to make it your own(rock on that brother),so you don't need a numbers matching concours c-10!!! Might want to save that short block in a corner though!!
Old 09-16-2015, 07:22 PM   #11
Eddie H.

I bought a disc brake kit for my 69 from Brothers truck parts. I haven't installed it yet, so I can't comment on it, but It looks to be complete with high quality parts. Many other vendors offer conversion kits as well, so I really don't know who has the best one. I elected to keep mine all 6 lug since I already have 6 lug rally wheels on it. You will also need a booster, different master cylinder and a proportioning valve to make everything work right.
Old 09-16-2015, 08:00 PM   #12
Kw69

Cool, yep I want to add the rally wheels for that year and keep the 6 lug. The original engine is stored in my shop and plan on keeping that as well. Liking the idea in getting the brake kit. Want to keep the truck as original as I can but the brakes have a lot to be desired. The truck overall is pretty original. Paint and body are pretty good. Plan keeping this one around. Got an 09 GMC 2500Hd to haul the camper around so that truck and my Camry are primary drivers. The 69 is a weekend with the wife and daughter. Looking forward in getting some things done to it.
Thanks
Posted via Mobile Device