The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current Classic GM Trucks Classifieds > WIW

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-10-2022, 01:20 AM   #1
chev-obsession

72 Shortbed 4x4 GMC

Hey guys, curious to know what this truck is worth. I don’t have a lot of pictures, so I will describe it the best I can. Found the truck at a yard sale, guy said he would sell it for the right price and told me to make an offer. I am not a “make me an offer guy” so I’m looking to get your opinions on value and deal with the make me an offer situation later.

It’s a 1972 shortbed GMC 4x4, runs and drives, has a title. Sounds like it was a parts truck at one time, and a lot of parts from other various trucks were used to make this truck complete. The metal vin tag has been removed from the original cab and riveted back onto the preset Cab…. Vin tag and glovebox door match. Cab is fairly clean in terms of rust, top edge of inner rockers, kick panel and one floor support need replaced (just from what I can see). Doors have speakers and are 71 (or earlier) The bed is an original short bed and fairly straight near as I can tell. Front clip is from a Chevy, tailgate is super straight (original early take off), seat is from an earlier c60, seat brackets are not correct, dash pad is not bolted in and gauge cluster has a bunch of auto meter style gauges cut into plastic.

Frame is an original shortbed 4x4, original axles were replaced with 3/4 ton stuff. Springs are 4” lift with say a 2-3” homemade body lift. Frame looks straight, no damage that I can see, No missing/modified brackets. The back of the frame has been cut off a couple inches for what ever reason, I’m not sure. Has 205 with correct crossmember, motor is from a van, trans from another 4x4 donor. Has some janky shift linkage from column to pivot bracket on frame, wiring is a mess, brake booster/master has been replaced from a motorhome, truck has a bunch of stupid/goofy add ons like an air horn and cab steps that retract.

Truck has a lot of Mickey Mouse stuff about it, not beyond repair, but definitely a lot of red flags.

I have a difficult time putting a value on something like this because to me I like original stuff that hasn’t been hacked up. At the end of the day it is a real short bed 4x4, running and driving with a title. What is something like this worth?
Attached Images

Old 10-14-2022, 02:10 PM   #2
HWY-STAR

Re: 72 Shortbed 4x4 GMC

Hello there. That truck is a hodge podge of not original. Without more pictures and 20 unanswered question I (myself only) would offer him 2500.00 and that much may still be risky.
I am just offering my unprofessional guestemate as what I may pay.
I don't understand why more members are reluctant to give there opinion in WIW.
As with anything it's only worth what you can get for it.

400 viewers and no opinions, I don't get it.
71 Cheyenne c20 350/350 all original except seat cover-SOLD
1970 GMC 3500 SRW 350 4 speed-FOR SALE
72 c-30 bb 4 speed dump bed
72 k-20 4x4 350/350 patina rat rod---sold
80 chevy p20 aluminum step van 350/400 12 ft cargo
62 parts car & 63 project nova, 4 door 6 cy
74 Honda cb 360 only 4000 miles
HWY-STAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2022, 05:20 PM   #3
Ironhorse

Too many things cobbled and hacked, VIN tag moved and replaced could spell trouble at the DMV, to me a total Frankentruck I would stay away from. Does the title match the VIN tag, the partial VIN on the top frame rail near the P/S. If he would "sell for the right price" make him state what that price is. Sellers want to go high, buyers want to go low, human nature. If he insists you make an offer, make a real low-ball offer and then tell him ball is in his court. For my own piece of mind I would walk (maybe run) from this one. Think it will be a royal headache in the long run. My $0.02 which in today's world doesn't buy much at all.
Original Truck AM/FM
Wellington, Ks
Ironhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2022, 09:32 PM   #4
chev-obsession

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamhead View Post
Hello there. That truck is a hodge podge of not original. Without more pictures and 20 unanswered question I (myself only) would offer him 2500.00 and that much may still be risky.
I am just offering my unprofessional guestemate as what I may pay.
I don't understand why more members are reluctant to give there opinion in WIW.
As with anything it's only worth what you can get for it.

400 viewers and no opinions, I don't get it.
Thank you, that’s kind of in line with what I was thinking, I won’t be heart broken of it doesn’t work out but I’d like to at least try. Yeah I know I didn’t take any pictures and that deffinatly doesn’t help.

I agree with you, not sure why more folks don’t give their opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhorse View Post
Too many things cobbled and hacked, VIN tag moved and replaced could spell trouble at the DMV, to me a total Frankentruck I would stay away from. Does the title match the VIN tag, the partial VIN on the top frame rail near the P/S. If he would "sell for the right price" make him state what that price is. Sellers want to go high, buyers want to go low, human nature. If he insists you make an offer, make a real low-ball offer and then tell him ball is in his court. For my own piece of mind I would walk (maybe run) from this one. Think it will be a royal headache in the long run. My $0.02 which in today's world doesn't buy much at all.
Thank you for your opinion! This is inline with what I was thinking. To me this truck is a title, vin tag, decent cab and SWB 4x4 frame and most of everything else is junk or needs rebuilt. Like I said above, I won’t be heart broken if it doesn’t work out. One thing I’d like to get better at is getting a seller/potential seller to give me a price without instantly burning a bridge.