The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevy/GMC Suburbans & Panels Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-19-2017, 08:24 PM   #51
HO455
Post Whore

Re: Home made burb headliner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hart_Rod View Post
Thanks for reposting. I got my rear panel made last night. I'm debating on whether or not I want to combine the 2 center panels into one. In theory, it seems like it would make the installation easier. Here's a couple of crappy pictures. Will try to take some better ones today or tomorrow.
Looks good! Did you have a factory deadener above the front seat? If so did the Fat Mat stick to well?. Thanks HO455.
If it breaks I didn't want it in the first place
The WMB repair thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=698377
HO455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 11:33 PM   #52
Hart_Rod

Quote:
Originally Posted by HO455 View Post
Looks good! Did you have a factory deadener above the front seat? If so did the Fat Mat stick to well?. Thanks HO455.
Mine had the factory stuff over the front seat and the Fatmat stuck to it with no problem.
Hart_Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 10:55 AM   #53
HO455
Post Whore

Quote:
Mine had the factory stuff over the front seat and the Fatmat stuck to it with no problem.
My has that too but it seems oily or greasy to the touch. I'm worried about not being able to get anything to stay in place against the unrelenting pull of gravity. Which seems to fight me harder everyday.
Old 02-21-2017, 01:07 PM   #54
Hart_Rod

Quote:
My has that too but it seems oily or greasy to the touch. I'm worried about not being able to get anything to stay in place against the unrelenting pull of gravity. Which seems to fight me harder everyday.
Interesting, mine was very dry to the touch.
Old 02-26-2017, 10:50 AM   #55
Hart_Rod

Got the front one cut
Attached Images

Old 02-26-2017, 11:33 AM   #56
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
Got the front one cut
Lookin' good so far Rob. Keep up the good work. I have to do that to my Panel Truck this spring. I don't know if I can use them but I have a set of stock Suburban bows and headliner panels.

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 12:27 PM   #57
HO455
Post Whore

Like everything on your Burban, it looks great. Did you have a pattern or did you use Port Headlights drawing?
Old 02-26-2017, 12:57 PM   #58
Hart_Rod

Quote:
Like everything on your Burban, it looks great. Did you have a pattern or did you use Port Headlights drawing?
Thanks! I used Portheadlights drawings and he was kind enough to send me the patterns. Just keep in mind every one of these trucks are different and you may have to make adjustments to the patterns and measurements.
Old 02-26-2017, 01:47 PM   #59
HO455
Post Whore

Did you mock it up with poster board or something else? Or did you just dive in with the FRP(?) material?
Old 02-26-2017, 03:07 PM   #60
Hart_Rod

Quote:
Did you mock it up with poster board or something else? Or did you just dive in with the FRP(?) material?
Jumped in head first!
Old 02-26-2017, 03:17 PM   #61
HO455
Post Whore

No guts no glory!
Old 02-26-2017, 04:54 PM   #62
pwdcougar

Looks great!

Paul
1970 4WD Chevrolet Suburban
1997 4WD Chevrolet Silverado Extended Cab Short Bed (purchased new January 1997)
pwdcougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 03:30 PM   #63
C10 Club Tennessee

Looks great Rob, I really need to do this to my burb.

www.gmtruckshow.com

Project "Andes"-Halen's First Truck

Project: Patina Burb

for he is God’s servant for your good. But if you do wrong, be afraid, for he does not bear the sword in vain. For he is the servant of God, an avenger who carries out God’s wrath on the wrongdoer. Romans 13:4
5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 03:49 PM   #64
Hart_Rod

Quote:
No guts no glory!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwdcougar View Post
Looks great!

Paul
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5150 View Post
Looks great Rob, I really need to do this to my burb.
It takes some time, but is not to bad of a job. Really finishes off the inside of the burb.
Old 03-06-2017, 07:49 PM   #65
WannaBe68

Quote:
Got the front one cut
When you get things situated, I'd love a play-by-play on how you get the panels into the bows. Do you bend the headliner and insert that way or what?
Attached Images

WannaBe68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 04:53 PM   #66
Hart_Rod

Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaBe68 View Post
When you get things situated, I'd love a play-by-play on how you get the panels into the bows. Do you bend the headliner and insert that way or what?
I assume you are talking about the metal bows. It's a very tight fit, but if you cut the panels correctly you can make it happen. I think the key is letting the FRP material "relax" to fit the curve of the roof. A heat gun will hurry up this process, just be careful and don't melt the material.....
Old 04-05-2017, 09:12 AM   #67
Hart_Rod

UPDATE: I have all my panels cut and installed. The fit is good and the satin white is similar to the factory original. I have been trying to find some nice plastic headliner bows, but that is starting to seem like an impossible task. So I got in contact with a company about manufacturing some new ones. I sent them a couple of pieces to use as samples. I think this will probably happen. They won't be chrome like the originals, but they will be paintable. In the meantime, I took the 3 nicest bows that I have and color matched them to the headliner material. This will have to do for right now.
Attached Images

Old 09-18-2017, 12:38 PM   #68
Heliarcn

Looking back through this old thread. Nice job on the headliner, looks amazing. I'll bet it takes about a week for your arms and shoulders to recover after that.

Definitely interested if you have the headliner bows reproduced. Have you made any progress on these lately?

Bret

1972 Chevy Suburban
1976 Blazer
Heliarcn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 10:13 PM   #69
vectorit
What?

Looks great Rob!
vectorit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 06:41 PM   #70
Beach-Burban

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortHeadlight View Post
Re-posting these dimensions from earlier posts on headliners...
I know this thread is a couple years old, but I really like the results I saw here! My original headliner is actually in really good shape except for a little sagging of the front panel, so my dilemma is whether or not to pull it down so I can insulate/sound deaden and fix the sagging. My actual question is for PortHeadlight or anyone that might know trucks as well as Suburbans: Is the front panel area of a '72 truck close to or the same size/shape as the front panel for a '72 Suburban? I saw a '67 to'72 ridged headliner panel sold by Brothers that's made to hold 4 speakers, but it specifically says "Truck"...and thought that if it was close, maybe??? Thanks PortHeadlight for the dimensions...I saved them to my desktop in case I screw things up when I remove the originals!
Woody
Beach-Burban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 07:44 PM   #71
HO455
Post Whore

Just a couple of by the ways. The plastic bows that hold the panels up are fragile and won't take much force when you try to remove them. I have heard that heating them with a hair dryer can help but the fiber board will singe easily.
The sagging of the fiber board is caused by moisture getting in the board and gravity pulling it down. I have never heard of anyone successfully reversing this process. But there may be a interior restoration shop out there that deals in high end cars like Packards or Rolls Royce from the 30's and 40's that could do it. One of the side effects of the sagging is the area of the headliner is increased as the thickness is decreased in areas. So to get back to normal you would somehow have to compensate for that.
I had to source two partial factory headliners to get enough dimensions to build a replacement for mine. The thing I noticed is there was a difference in the dimensions of the pieces between the two sets. Enough to say I don't believe they were die cut but hand cut for each truck.
And finally the front panel was the first panel installed then they worked their way to the last panel in the back. I was ignorant of this fact and started at the back so the front panel was quite difficult to install. It also has the compound bends in the corners which I found difficult to keep from breaking when I removed the original.
All in all it is not a difficult job but the factory materials are quite fragile and replacements are not available through the aftermarket.
I hope this helps and good luck!
Old 05-03-2019, 10:33 PM   #72
Beach-Burban

Quote:
Just a couple of by the ways. The plastic bows that hold the panels up are fragile and won't take much force when you try to remove them. I have heard that heating them with a hair dryer can help but the fiber board will singe easily.
The sagging of the fiber board is caused by moisture getting in the board and gravity pulling it down. I have never heard of anyone successfully reversing this process. But there may be a interior restoration shop out there that deals in high end cars like Packards or Rolls Royce from the 30's and 40's that could do it. One of the side effects of the sagging is the area of the headliner is increased as the thickness is decreased in areas. So to get back to normal you would somehow have to compensate for that.
I had to source two partial factory headliners to get enough dimensions to build a replacement for mine. The thing I noticed is there was a difference in the dimensions of the pieces between the two sets. Enough to say I don't believe they were die cut but hand cut for each truck.
And finally the front panel was the first panel installed then they worked their way to the last panel in the back. I was ignorant of this fact and started at the back so the front panel was quite difficult to install. It also has the compound bends in the corners which I found difficult to keep from breaking when I removed the original.
All in all it is not a difficult job but the factory materials are quite fragile and replacements are not available through the aftermarket.
I hope this helps and good luck!
Thanks HO455...I have shaped some types of fiberboard a long time ago using steam and heat, but this might be different type stuff, so I appreciate the heads-up! I am very leery of removing the panel and trim-pieces as they look pretty good and don't want to make it worse, but I do want to insulate/sound deaden as so many others have relayed the benefits for these vehicles. Any chance you know the answer to my "truck vs Suburban" question with regards to the size/shape being close or not? Yes, it helps...and thanks again.
Woody
Old 05-03-2019, 11:56 PM   #73
Killer Bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beach-Burban View Post
Thanks HO455...I have shaped some types of fiberboard a long time ago using steam and heat, but this might be different type stuff, so I appreciate the heads-up! I am very leery of removing the panel and trim-pieces as they look pretty good and don't want to make it worse, but I do want to insulate/sound deaden as so many others have relayed the benefits for these vehicles. Any chance you know the answer to my "truck vs Suburban" question with regards to the size/shape being close or not? Yes, it helps...and thanks again.
Woody
no idea but I have two burbs here without headliners you can test fit if brothers will take your return if doesn't fit..

worth their while to let you check cuz I'd buy two if they do
Old 05-04-2019, 12:42 AM   #74
Beach-Burban

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer Bee View Post
no idea but I have two burbs here without headliners you can test fit if brothers will take your return if doesn't fit..

worth their while to let you check cuz I'd buy two if they do
Thanks KB...something to think about? Never bought anything from Brothers before so I'll look into their return policy...but hopefully somebody with both a truck and a Suburban will chime-in on this one?
Woody
Old 05-04-2019, 09:22 AM   #75
CG
BlahBlahBlah

Im just speculating but I believe the only thing different about the headliner area you are talking about is the actual height of the roof skin. Its taller on the burbs. The doors are the same except the door frame is squared at the rear on burbs. Wing windows, windshield all that stuff is the same. So maybe if its mounted via the perimeter it should work. Or if its partially glued to the roof you could make some spacers?

Show pics if you do it.

Monroe Swap meet May 18-19.
Mike has the same spots for the NW guys he's had forever.
Lunch time BBQ at the spaces.
If you have stuff to sell bring it along.

If you have a question PM stllookn (Mike) here via the board.

https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=851291
CG is offline   Reply With Quote