The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-03-2017, 12:59 AM   #1
big_moss

First sbc 350

What's up everyone? Getting to the point of my build where I'm choosing the motor for my 51 build on a custom s10 frame that will be on air ride. The plan at first was to go ls but they are just everywhere right now so I've decided to go a different rought. A friend of mine sold me a 350 sbc seems to be in good shape my question is what should I shoot for if I'm wanting a dependable cruiser with some good thump behind it that I can take anywhere wanted to do a 383 but also thought about a 355 thanks for any input
Old 08-03-2017, 01:51 AM   #2
Ironangel

Re: First sbc 350

What year is the 350? If it were me, (and it was me 3-1/2 years ago) I'd throw a set of Vortec heads on that thing with this intake, https://www.summitracing.com/parts/edl-2116/overview/ put a proven good Quadrajet on it and a set of long tube headers. The above will play well with any transmission and a 3:73 Posi 12-bolt, you'll be able to roast them tires at will...Maybe Captainfab will chime in on cam choices for stock and or reworked/aftermarket Vortec heads, he seems to be up on the gen II 350's...PS. I like the fact that you shied away from the LS options, nothing to look at when the hoods popped! "Old School"
71 C/50 Grain Truck, 350 Split-Axle 4-Speed
02 3/4 ton Express
14 Indian Chief Vintage
1952 Ford 8N, "Only Ford Allowed On The Property"
"Be American, Buy American"
Ironangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 10:54 PM   #3
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Re: First sbc 350

I am a fan of the Vortec heads also. If the engine you have happens to be a L31 Vortec, that would be a bonus. You would have the Vortec heads plus the ability to run a roller cam and not have to worry about a cam going flat. Also the capability of producing more power for a minimal cost.

Anyway, for a cam I would go with the XE262 if you are wanting something on the mild side.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/c...38-2/overview/

Or if you want a little more aggressive idle and a little more power, I would go with the XE268.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/c...42-2/overview/

The retainer to seal/guide clearance will need to be checked with either cam. And of course run the recommended valve springs.

Depending on what fuel is available in your area, you will want either a slight dished piston or flat tops with those Vortec heads. The cam choice plays a part in that decision also.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote