The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-25-2019, 10:07 AM   #1
dondb

CPP PS Pump installation

I bought a 500 Series PS CPP conversion kit on sale at Summit. Everything went together fine until i tried to install the PS pump and brackets that came with the kit. I have a 1969 C10 with I believe the original 307 motor. The bracket puts the pump in the way of the Alternator belt. Anyone on here have any experience with this issue?

Name:  IMG_0791.jpg
Views: 345
Size:  36.0 KB
2002 Camaro SS LE Rag Top #937
dondb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 07:30 PM   #2
demian5

Re: CPP PS Pump installation

You can flip the brackets over and run the pump lower.
1983 K2500 Sierra Classic Suburban 6.2
Instagram: C10sofOC
demian5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 01:00 AM   #3
young grasshoppa

I just got done installing that POS kit. I ran into the same issue on my 350, and flipping the brackets did not work. I had to order a bracket made by Alan Groves, pn 400L http://www.alangrovecomponents.com/S...Short_Pump.htm . I ordered mine from Yogis Inc. The kit was a huge pain, and trying to sort it all out took my truck off the road for a while.
young grasshoppa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 07:41 AM   #4
dondb

Quote:
Originally Posted by demian5 View Post
You can flip the brackets over and run the pump lower.
I'm running the brackets as low as they go. I'll flip them over an go to the high side and see if it works? The bracket in the front to adjust tension on the belt is whats hitting. The directions say the front bracket can be flipped also but when It's flipped it doesn't fit.
Old 04-26-2019, 07:43 AM   #5
dondb

Quote:
Originally Posted by young grasshoppa View Post
I just got done installing that POS kit. I ran into the same issue on my 350, and flipping the brackets did not work. I had to order a bracket made by Alan Groves, pn 400L http://www.alangrovecomponents.com/S...Short_Pump.htm . I ordered mine from Yogis Inc. The kit was a huge pain, and trying to sort it all out took my truck off the road for a while.
If I can't get it to work, this will be a good work out option.....Thanks for the link to the part
Old 04-26-2019, 12:30 PM   #6
dondb

After calling Summit (not able to help) and calling CPP Tech lines, here is the outcome. The brackets will not work for my set up and is a known problem at CPP and working to correct it. I asked for a discount or help with acquiring the correct parts with no avail. So the three options are: 1) Buy the bracket as above in young Grasshoppers reply...78 dollars. 2) Buy a bracket from CPP to raise the alternator out of the way $109 dollars. 3) Buy the bracket to move the alternator to the passenger side ? dollars along with rewiring the harness to reach. Needless to say the best route in my opinion is option #1. If I didn't have everything already installed I would of returned it!!! Hope this helps anyone in their decision making to PS conversion kits.
Old 04-26-2019, 01:54 PM   #7
aggiegrad

I had the same issue with the first Power steering bracket I bought. I found another one that fit. I used this bracket so my belt would clear.

(63-14304) 63-70 Power steering pump brackets - Small block V8, will clear8
$46.00 X 1 = $46.00

www.truckandcarshop.com
aggiegrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 03:07 PM   #8
RodnRudy

[QUOTE=dondb;8513408]I bought a 500 Series PS CPP conversion kit on sale at Summit. Everything went together fine until i tried to install the PS pump and brackets that came with the kit. I have a 1969 C10 with I believe the original 307 motor. The bracket puts the pump in the way of the Alternator belt. Anyone on here have any experience with this issue?

I went through the same problem on my 350. I am running the 400L power steering bracket and 232L alternator bracket from Alan Grove. I had to use the extra crank pulley, and get a double groove alternator pulley. That way you use the outer crank pulley for the power steering and the second groove on the crank pulley for the alternator. The crank pulley groove closest to the engine is not used. It's a tight fit getting to the steering pump cap but you can get it off to service it. You might source an original alt. bracket and get more clearance to get to the cap off? Here's a few pics to show my set up.
Attached Images

RodnRudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 03:09 PM   #9
dondb

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggiegrad View Post
I had the same issue with the first Power steering bracket I bought. I found another one that fit. I used this bracket so my belt would clear.

(63-14304) 63-70 Power steering pump brackets - Small block V8, will clear8
$46.00 X 1 = $46.00

www.truckandcarshop.com
That's actually an original set up and should also work. Options are good
Old 04-26-2019, 03:30 PM   #10
dondb

That's a nice set up!
I should be able to use a original PS bracket with the 2 grove pulley on my crank, utilizing the inner groove for my alternator and the outer for the PS? The current alternator bracket is original, it came like that from the factory....and should all work, but we'll see?? I think the 2 groove pulley I got from Summit for the PS pump should line the outer grooves up......I HOPE ANYWAY! It gets pretty frustrating when you want to get the truck out and so many little things crop up. Not to mention my original goal was to do just the bed wood this winter and morphed into a total chassis repaint, Disc brake, PS conversion and front end rebuild.......

[quote=RodnRudy;8514250]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dondb View Post
I bought a 500 Series PS CPP conversion kit on sale at Summit. Everything went together fine until i tried to install the PS pump and brackets that came with the kit. I have a 1969 C10 with I believe the original 307 motor. The bracket puts the pump in the way of the Alternator belt. Anyone on here have any experience with this issue?

I went through the same problem on my 350. I am running the 400L power steering bracket and 232L alternator bracket from Alan Grove. I had to use the extra crank pulley, and get a double groove alternator pulley. That way you use the outer crank pulley for the power steering and the second groove on the crank pulley for the alternator. The crank pulley groove closest to the engine is not used. It's a tight fit getting to the steering pump cap but you can get it off to service it. You might source an original alt. bracket and get more clearance to get to the cap off? Here's a few pics to show my set up.
Old 04-26-2019, 11:03 PM   #11
young grasshoppa

Quote:
Originally Posted by dondb View Post
After calling Summit (not able to help) and calling CPP Tech lines, here is the outcome. The brackets will not work for my set up and is a known problem at CPP and working to correct it. I asked for a discount or help with acquiring the correct parts with no avail. So the three options are: 1) Buy the bracket as above in young Grasshoppers reply...78 dollars. 2) Buy a bracket from CPP to raise the alternator out of the way $109 dollars. 3) Buy the bracket to move the alternator to the passenger side ? dollars along with rewiring the harness to reach. Needless to say the best route in my opinion is option #1. If I didn't have everything already installed I would of returned it!!! Hope this helps anyone in their decision making to PS conversion kits.
Isn't it ridiculous that it is a known issue, but they still market it for 67-72 SBCs as a complete kit? And they are not willing to budge on the issue? I am done with CPP...
The first power steering box I received had bad threads where the pitman arm attaches, the nut would go up a little and then get stuck. I found this out when I was bench test fitting it all. I tried to work with CPP to explain the issue, sent videos. It was not like I cross threaded it, but somehow when it was machined and tapped the angle of the threads was off. I sent the gearbox back to CPP at a cost to me of $50+. I received one back a few weeks later, and later found out they charged me for shipping $50+ more on the new unit, and when I contacted them, they blamed me for cross threading it. Again, I am done with CPP they obviously do not stand behind their product.
Old 04-26-2019, 11:07 PM   #12
young grasshoppa

I didn't use the 232 bracket, just the 400L which the belt barely fits. I just knew I did not want to relocate the Alternator, in case I want to add A/C later.
Old 04-27-2019, 09:55 AM   #13
dondb

Yes...I do find it hard to believe they are still in business? I guess the people buying their product are use to making adjustments to parts not working without modifications. And most of the time the pricing is usually less and us do it our selfers like to save money
Thanks for the heads up on the pitman arm threads on the gear box. Mine is just finger tight right now and i can make sure the nut goes on correctly before final tightening.