The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-15-2017, 04:41 PM   #1
toolboxchev

Gen I SBC

So after 47 years and still running I thought I would start this off by asking what other folks have done to keep their original (or close too...) power plant going strong. Granted they are not the most highest HP or Torque rated of all the small blocks. Just looking for insight when rebuilding or modifying to keep your SBC running strong.

I have done some mods like an HEI and Edelbrock carb to keep things simple. Also running a way hotter plug to ignite that ethanol plus advancing the distributor up to 14 degrees advance. I also added an adjustable Pertronix vacuum advance module with a silicon diaphragm to again negate the effects of ethanol deterioration.

So what have you done to keep it strong? Rebuild info welcome, quench, compression ratio, heads ( yes we know about the vortecs ), I see World Products makes both a 67 and 72 cc chamber large volume cast iron head. Have any of you tried them or did you choose an alternate route. Yea I want more power but not wishing to burn 91 octane daily driving.

I would also love to see your finished motor and any insights to fuel economy and power transfer with other mods you have done.

Keeping It On Truckin!
toolboxchev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 07:12 PM   #2
demian5

Re: Gen I SBC

My 64 Impala SS has the original motor that was rebuilt before I purchased the car.
The engine was on the stand wrapped in plastic, so I was the first to fire it up. I knew the engine guy who did it as he did our circle track motors (and decked the "matching numbers" off of the block...).

It has power pack heads that do not like a lot of timing. I only run premium and I put my sons extra 2 stroke gas in the tank when we are done riding.

I have the original carb (rebuilt by me), distributor, everything... exhaust manifolds with EFE valve.

The Powerglide is original to the car as well and was rebuilt by the GM trans tech at the dealership i worked at in the 90s.

Its still going strong and reliable.
1983 K2500 Sierra Classic Suburban 6.2
Instagram: C10sofOC
demian5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 09:17 PM   #3
hewittca

My truck still has the original 307 in it. Never rebuilt and has 130k miles on it. That's not to say it hasn't needed some work since I got it. I have since added new exhaust manifolds, HEI distributor with 8 mm wires and new plugs, rebuilt original Quadrajet, new timing set, rear main seal, pan gasket, oil pump, and starter. It runs like a champ and will idle all day long without the slightest hiccup.
-
C10 Concept/Development Photos: Master Thread
hewittca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 10:15 PM   #4
Alex V.

Just keep 'em in tune, investigate any noises, use good oil and don't let it get worn out, and 89 octane or higher. My '67 and '85 both have the original fuel and ignition systems, running R44 plugs at the original gap spec.

1985 GMC C3500 SRW, Sierra Classic, 454/TH400, white/blue.
Alex V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 11:32 PM   #5
Warrens69GMC

For heads, consider these. Vortec style chamber and traditional intake .

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-152123/overview/
Warrens69GMC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 01:12 AM   #6
Coley

If you want to run a factory look and stick with original parts but want more power/performance...then consider getting a set of '041 or '186 GM heads with the 1.94" intake valves.
Yep, they are old school...but they fit perfectly on these truck engines and will accept all the original brackets, manifolds, etc just like they grew there.
The advantage is that they are the slightly higher compression heads typical on the Camaro's, Chevelle's, etc with a 64cc combustion chamber vs. the trucks 76cc.
If you combine those with a aluminum dual plane manifold (Edelbrock Performer+), and headers/dual exhaust then you will be well on your way to pick up some obvious extra ponies and torque.
None of this will give you the earth shattering gains of an LS combo....but it all depends on what you want to accomplish and if you intend on doing a lot of stoplight drag racing, etc.
Now...if you keep an eye out you might find a good rebuilt or great used set online. I have seen these come up from time to time for $200-$300 and that is pretty good value overall for good useable and improved heads.
Again...this all depends on you, your driving habits and.....your budget.

my two bits.
Coley
2005 Chevy Silverado HD2500/Duramax
2000 Dodge Ram 1500
Coley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 02:01 AM   #7
toolboxchev

Quote:
Originally Posted by hewittca View Post
My truck still has the original 307 in it. Never rebuilt and has 130k miles on it. That's not to say it hasn't needed some work since I got it. I have since added new exhaust manifolds, HEI distributor with 8 mm wires and new plugs, rebuilt original Quadrajet, new timing set, rear main seal, pan gasket, oil pump, and starter. It runs like a champ and will idle all day long without the slightest hiccup.
Haha, dig it, I had to check out your build!

Now if I could only find a set of finned aluminum script valve covers!
toolboxchev is offline   Reply With Quote